Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transplant GPS Jacket Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transplant GPS Jacket Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Braun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Transplant GPS Jacket Problem Reply with quote

I bought a Transplant GPS Jacket for my iPaq 3955 Pocket PC. I was experimenting the Crux_View program and I accidently switched to the SiRF protocol. Now the Jacket no longer works. When I try to access the Jacket using Crux_View, I get a message box with the following message, "Read Error!!". I tried setting the Jacket back to NMEA but that did not work. I also tried to reset the Jacket using GPSTweak but that program did not work either. Is there any other way to reset the Jacket to NMEA so it will work again. Is the Transplant GPS Jacket using a version of the SiRF protocol that is different from the version used by the Crux_View program or GPSTweak. I read in one of the postings that the Jacket contains a battery that provides power for data storage when the Jacket is not connected to the iPaq. Would the Jacket reset to its default settings if the battery was allowed to discharge or if it was removed.

Fred Braun
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Transplant GPS Jacket Problem Reply with quote

THe GPS Jacket does stealth the COM ports, and I believe Crux View is the only utility to access this and change it in and out. Unfortunately I'm not sure what baud rates it works on.

Usually what will happen is you can switch a receiver out of NMEA to SiRF, but you have baud rates to contend with. Does Crux View give you an option of specifying which BAUD rate to connect at ? If so, I would try connecting at each baud rate setting, SiRF tends to like 38400 or 57600 on most receivers where NMEA tends to prefer 4800 although it can operate at higher baud rates. If you don't have the option of setting the baud rate to connect so you can change the settings, then it's quiet possible the sleeve has gone into limbo, the Navman sleeve and Pretec's also did this sometimes, and no matter what you would do would get it back, but if you left the device (away from a power source or iPAQ) for 2 hours, then plug it in, sometimes you could connect back. I don't know if this is the same with the Emtac Sleeve, but it's worth a try.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

I had the same with my Emtaq GPSJAQ which I think is the same as the Transplant. After several days of trying, many attempts to succesfully get into either Sirf or NMEA at various BAUD rates, and many Ipaq soft resets, I eventually got it back into NMEA at 4800. I am not sure exactly what sorted it out and have since been too scared to experiment!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'm currently putting an article together that details how to go in and fiddle changing baud rates etc, and what screens to expect. I'm hoping this may be of use to some people.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: