Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 Reply with quote

Sparks,

Just to clarify things, I do not have any problems downloading maps on to a SD card that is in the ICN 630.

My problem occurred when I tried to download the maps to a SD card via a card reader. I think that I failed to

mention that earlier.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 Reply with quote

Many of you have been waiting eagerly for the full review of the Navman iCN630, and here it is! This review covers much more than any other reviews on the internet with lots of screenshots which are very difficult to take!

The full review is available here
netrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave,

You mention use of 512 MB Mem cards with iCN630, do you know if 3450+SmartSt combo supports 512 MB cards/addressing. At a recent call NAVMAN support said that the limit is 256 MB for 34xx. Any experience?

Ata
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ata, I can't say much about this apart from it's being addressed
sparks
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

Thanks for your review of the ICN 630, which as you know, I have been waiting for. As we speak, mine is waiting for me at home. I was glad to see that the recalc time is much faster than the Streetpilot. For me, that is the deciding factor. Here in the US the difference in price, comparing the lowest price I could find for both, is about $156 US. That is after taking into consideration the rebate. I have already been thinking of ways to mount the Navman, and was wondering if it would be possible to mount it to Garmins beanbag mount using the double stick tape. What do you think?

Thanks again for the review, and I'll be back here after I get a chance to play with mine.

Paul
sparks
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

One other thing I forgot to mention. I called NavmanUSA about a week ago, and they told me there was an upgrade to the software that they are sending to registered users. Did you have that upgrade for your review?

Thanks,

Paul
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

Dave,

Excellent review!

But in my two months of using the iCN 630 I have not seen the Blue Bug in my daily travels through Dublin city and other cities in Ireland.

I'm wondering if the Bug is part of the UK map or have other foreign users reported the Bug with their maps?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Paul, I think you'll have problems mounting it to the bean bag mount of the Garmin, because you have that clip there which isn't flat. You really would need a flat surface. You can mount it to the windscreen with the supplied suction cup, and I found this worked extremely well not dropping off the windscreen, but for me with a deep dashboard, I found the unit too far away from me, or I had to raise it far too high where it obstructed my vision and a nice policeman would give me a ticking over if he saw it like that. Regarding the upgrade, no I'm not aware of any upgrade, I even mentioned this to Navman, and Navman were privvy to reading the review last week before it was released for factual content, and nothing was said then.

Kevmac, the blue bug is due to a polygon draw problem, it does happen on very specific parts of the map, and I haven't heard of anyone complain outside of GB. It is still very previlent across GB, and when SmartST Pro came out, I was really glad my test routes took me through this, as more often that not, you can test a product but not find any of the bugs that people may find in the near future.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

Dave,

Is that an IR receiver, just to the left of the controls?

Also, I read somewhere (can't for the life of me find it again) that NavMan have released a clip on battery pack for the Unit?

I want one!
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

I mentioned a couple of iCN630 user reviews that I had stumbled on (for Sparks to read) and I think that in one of those users mentioned a battery pack attachment. Buffy :0)
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

I mentioned a couple of iCN630 user reviews that I had stumbled on (for Sparks to read) and I think that in one of those users mentioned a battery pack attachment. Buffy :0)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Simon, I'm glad you asked that question because that's what I thought, but there's absolutely no documentation on it whatsoever, and there doesn't appear to be any support for it. It might be for a future feature. To install maps you have to go through the USB route.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

The IR Receiver - i wondered if they might release a remote control accessory - so you can control the unit with a little more ease, and with out stretching across the dashboard??
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Keyboard perhaps ?
sparks
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

I was wondering if I could break off the clip, flat enough so that the self stick pad would hold. I'll have to see if I can take a look at one somewhere. I have the same problem, with a deep windshield (windscreen). It won't stick to my dashboard, since it is not smooth enough. We need a better way to mount this thing. Maybe I can make my own bean bag mount.

I tried it out this morning on my way to work, and was disconcerted when I did not go the way the 630 wanted me to, and I found that the 630 was not able to recalculate a new route, even though there were multiple ways to go. I'm going to call Navman later.

The update, as I understand it, was to provide address level mapping, and fixed a problem when crossing boundaries. I don't know if anything else is included in the update.

I'll get back here, after I speak with them.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: