Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Emtac GPS Sleeve problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Emtac GPS Sleeve problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fucawi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Emtac GPS Sleeve problems. Reply with quote

I have recently changed my Haicom CF GPS for an Emtac GPS sleeve. It seemed to work well at first, but over the past two weeks the TTFF has got incredibly slow (8 minutes on average). Sometimes the system will not get a fix until a soft reset has been done, which is most awkward. The iPAQ and Sleeve sit in a Brodit mount that has an uninterupted view of the sky. Communication between sleeve and iPAQ seems to be working and satellite aquisition is there, but not always enough to allow navigation. The system has also started to lose signal and not reaquire until reset. I have not added any new software to the iPAQ since upgrading to TTN 2.05. Any ideas?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Emtac GPS Sleeve problems. Reply with quote

Really ? I'm surprised at that, the TTFF's we've seen have been around the 50 second to 1 min mark. It might be due to the angle of the antenna, but I haven't seen any issues here. Darren's currently got our Emtac sleeve running further tests, I'll have a word with him and see if he's seen any extended times.

Which GPS software are you using, if TomTom Navigator, which driver are you using ?
Fucawi
Occasional Visitor

Dave

I'm running TTN 2 with the 2.05 drivers. Is there any advantages in keeping the jacket powered when not in use? (Only disadvantage is the fact that the jacket will always be on display). I have a Brodit active mount, but would need to change the connector to power the jacket as opposed to the iPAQ.

All feedback greatfully received.
Fucawi
Occasional Visitor

Dave & Darren

I had a quick look through the Car Windscreen/Signal Strength Forum and didn't see a VW Golf MKIV mentioned, but I do get a better signal outside the car. Whilst in deepest darkest Hampshire last weekend I struggled to get a fix in the treelined lanes from the Emtac sleeve (0 - 2 satellites (2D)). Would there be any advantage in adding a re-radiating aerial with an MCX connector to the back of the sleeve (Ematac are supposed to have one as an accessory to the GPSJAQ). Would this improve signal if it was installed around the rear parcelshelf or would it have to be sited on the roof? If the roof is the only option, then is there a roof radio aerial with a re-radiating antennae for the VW Golf ?(as per the manufacturers SatNav System).

Being unnaturally tidy I hate cables poking out from the cigarette lighter et al, has anyone done a really tidy job of getting power and re-radiating aerials to the upper centre area of a VW dashboard?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

How many sats more do you get outside of the car ? If you're seeing 2 sats in, whilst you have a fix, stay on the status screen and move outside the car. If you see an increase to 4 or above, then I would suggest getting a re-rad. You should try aiming for 5-6 sats where possible, but conditions do make a difference, and sitting in an avenue of trees won't help much.

If you have a heat reflective windscreen then your best bet is to mount a Re-Rad on the roof, as you may find the same with the rear window. The objective is to get the best signal possibile. Now what you can do, is not necessarily purchase a re-rad, but purchase an external antenna, as this will also do the same job because the Emtac sleeve does have an external antenna socket on it, and you might find this a cheaper option.
Fucawi
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave

Will Try the external aerial.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: