Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom BT GPS!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom BT GPS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiggybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Faulty TomTom GPS Reply with quote

I've just bought the Bluetooth TomTom GPS and Tungsten T3.
The Bluetooth unit packed in after a couple of days. The bluetooth LED flashes once when it's powered on then all I get is a steady green light. TomTom support say to power it down and it'll reset but it's been 20hrs now and I'm only just getting the red low power led.
Seems a common fault with these units?
guf3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi Dave
Good review - thanks.
Strange question - Could the TT3 BT be wired instead of using the BT?
I am thinking of getting one to run with my iPaq5450 & I am concerned about the robustness of BT & would like a fallback

Cheers
guf3
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer - no - the only Bluetooth GPS that can be wired is the Haicom HI-303 series plus the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper.

David
guf3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Hi David,
Thanks for your reply;I am still confused as to what I want.
I bought a Navman 3450 to go with my iPaq 5450; BAD CHOICE.
Expansys kindly gave me a full refund approx 10mnths after I bought it.
Navman's service was appalling towards me & very dismissive of the bundle.
I have been advised by a good friend to get TomTom,but as a hard wired unit. I would really like the TT3 with BT but I don't want to be the guinea pig again. The features of TT3 seem to be much better than Navman + ST & I can add speed camera software.
Your review suggested a problem with TT3 - what was the cause or was it just a flakey unit?
Cheers

Guy
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There haven't been any complaints of flakiness with the 5450 and Bluetooth GPS to my recollection - but the 5450 is not as popular amongst users on this site as certain other models.

The Haicom HI-303 series (I recommend the HI-303MMF - I'm using one of these with an iPAQ 3970 and an expansion pack as a CompactFlash GPS) are pretty unique amongst all the GPSes available. They're a CompactFlash GPS with a serial port on the side for which you can buy cables. There's also the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper into which you can insert all but early examples of the HI-303 series, which turn them into a Bluetooth GPS.

David
guf3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
I think you are right re. the iPaq 5450 ; it tries to do too much.
I was advised by Navman that it was originally designed with a larger speaker this was then made smaller to run a different chip.Also the fingerprint software causes some conflict as well.
I have decided to try the TomTom3 with BT.
If it doesn't work Expansys say that they will offer any help they can ; can't say fairer than that - they have been very good to date & I would recommend them.
I still need some Speed camera software either subsription or free ; any suggestions.

Cheers

G
kiwilad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM Bluetooth Docking Cradle Reply with quote

Hi,
Has anyone purchased the TOMTOM BT GPS and Software kit lately. I have read these reveiws and it mentions acar docking cradle. On the TOMTOM website and looking at 'what's in the box' there is no mention of this accesory?.

Thanks
mpb001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a couple of weeks ago.
there is no cradle in the box.

box contents:

BT gps
home charger
car charger cable (rj11 plug)
software
basic manual
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TOMTOM Bluetooth Docking Cradle Reply with quote

kiwilad wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone purchased the TOMTOM BT GPS and Software kit lately. I have read these reveiws and it mentions acar docking cradle. On the TOMTOM website and looking at 'what's in the box' there is no mention of this accesory?. Thanks

As already mentioned, there is no cradle included, despite what the photo shows. Also, be wary of the TomTom "car-kit" for the 5550. I ordered one from expansys http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=111449 Evil or Very Mad , as I didn't want the holder but what I got WAS a holder. After talking to expansys, I discovered that TomTom have never done a car kit for the 5550, only a holder. Had I known, I never would have bought one and gone for a brodit mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
amsterdammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: high tomtom failure rate Reply with quote

I've been using tomtom bluetooth gps module for about 3 months .. then all of a sudden it failed.... only the green power on light comes on... blue led for bluetooth doesn't work any more...
I done a bit of research on the web and it seems quite a common problem. Im going to contact tomtomto see if they will honor the warranty now that i have moved from amsterdam to america... but i'm not hopeful.
Because of the alarming amount of failures (30% on 1 forum), When buying another module (which i definately will) I will think twice about buying the tomtom....

Has anyone else had similar problems with tomtom???

Amsterdammer
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Bluetooth GPS, definitely. Unfortunately TomTom do seem to have a high failure rate. TomTom stopped selling the docking station cradle because they feel that this is the cause, but two units I have had never even used the docking cradle and they went south too.
amsterdammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dave, this unit came with the gps module cradle which you mention...
I have returned the receiver to tomtom without a receipt ( gift from an ex) do you know if I am limited to using the tomtom receiver with their navigator software??
If not, which one would you recommend??

thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the BT GPS will work with all software.
roxteddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm.. bit disconcerting all these failures... but no comments since August... hope that means they sorted it out ?? i just bought one Rolling Eyes

Can anyone tell me what all the various sequence and colour of lights i should be expecting.... At the moment the GPS is connected to power, sittting on the window sill with 8 satellite fixes and the following lights... steady blue and the other is flashing between red and green Confused

Before this i was running it on its battery and then it died and after charging for about an hour when i tried to power it on (still connected to a source) it would switch itself off after a wee while... but eventually it powered up with two solid RED lights before one started flashing blue/red and the other was solid red....... Then launch TT3 on my iPAQ, a few seconds later and the above light sequence is on...

sorry for ll these daft questions but the manual is pretty basic and i haven't found the answer anywhere else on the forums...

thanks in anticipation

rox
lechuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Parts missing from TomTom GPS Reply with quote

Hello ,

After reading the review I went straight and bought it from pdamods.com. In the package I received, the car charger and cradle were missing.

Has TomTom changed the packaging items or I just got a bad item ?

Thank you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: