Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion 95900 MDPNA200S start bar hack, POI Warner, UKPC2NVG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion 95900 MDPNA200S start bar hack, POI Warner, UKPC2NVG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Medion 95900 MDPNA200S start bar hack, POI Warner, UKPC2NVG Reply with quote

Hi,

just got my GPS from Aldi, excellent price and I'm extremly happy with it. Only bought it yesterday and I've already put some third party apps onto it.

OK, looking at the forum several people are having problems so I'll add my experiences.

The best thing to do is do the start bar hack first (you need this to run UKPC2NVG on this model machine. It provides a start bar so you can run the program.

The link below is excellent and just follow those instructions. Thanks to the people involved there.

http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24107&highlight=95900

Next I would suggest installing the UK Postcode finder for Navigator 4.75 and specifically this model. I had some real trouble here BUT 5 minutes after an e-mail to Jose Adell we were working on fixing the problem. This is his program and he supports it himself. Nothing is to much trouble, he is patient and takes one step at a time.

He has some new files avaliable specifically for this model so the best thing to do is send him an e-mail from his site http://www.geopostcode.com/ go to the support link at the top right hand side.

It only costs £8 if bought from his ebay link which is excellent value. If you recieve any files and they dont run as we had it may be they are protected. Right click on the files, select properties and unprotect so you can run them on your computer. I've not seen this before and neither has Jose but it caused us 30 mins of problems.

Basically you install the postcode finder then some additional library files, I installed mine direct to the local memory as the storage card is almost full due to the mapping software. This works a treat when everything is ok and you have the correct files. I'm more than sure anyone having installation problems will be helped out by Jose.

When installing the files you have to give a location for the path where the routes are saved (ON THIS MACHINE) the path is \My Flash Disk\Routes.

One thing to note is when you have installed the start bar hack double click the time in the bottom right of the screen and change the date if its wrong. Mine was set to 2003 and others seems the same.

To run the software when installed do a soft reset, quick poke with the stylus in the top left of the GPS and it resets. Perfectly fine so far for me. You will now have a start bar, click Start > Programs > UKPC2NVG to run the application.

Click the bottom right icon then click Keyboard and it is displayed.

Next click in the box that says "Type the name for your new route", delete anything that is in there at present and put a name for a route in.

Now to click ok is a pain as the keyboard is over it, two choices here. Either hold the stylus on the keyboard where it says "Input panel" and drag it to one side oruse the icon on the bottom right to hide it again and then to restore it do as earlier (click on that icon then select keyboard).

Ok, now we can click OK.

You will now be presented with a screen that has a input box for Postcode. Enter a postcode and click "search it!!!" Now click add to route.

The next screen allows you to add a description if you want, click OK when done.

Now you are back at the postcode screen, put in a second postcode, click "search it!!!" then click add to route. Enter a description if you want.

Now add additional routes if to this if you are going on a journey to more than one place or click Create a route to add additional journeys.

When finished click the X at the top right then click navigator on the main screen. From the menu screen select "Several Destinations. Click the folder icon and then you will see the route names you created earlier. Click on one then click okand thats it the route is ready to follow and is saved on your machine.

Next is the POI Warner, again great software.

For this machine http://www.navigating.de/Medion4_en/POI/Index.htm

then subscribe free to

http://www.poihandler.com/

or pay 12 euro's a year and get additional POI's
I paid it but I believe you can get the things like speed camera sites free easily enough. Just it keeps everyting in one place. There are european POI's as well on this site. It all integrates easliy and is very good.

The whole thing is now easy to use. We just went on a trip to Hereford. I used the postcode finder to set my route and it all worked very nicly indeed. We set off on our way and my son wanted something to eat. McDonalds was the choice and we stopped, did a search via POI Warner and it took us to the nearest McDonalds. We then went to the saved route from earlier input via the postcode checker (Jose's software) and resumed our route. So these two complement each other very nicly. Even a McDonalds sign is displayed on the map along with Shell, BP, speed camers etc

To be honest the whole package is now superb. Shame it cannot all be bungled into one package.

Well all in all I hope this is of use to someone, Jose thankyou for all your help and also others that have helped me via the postings I found on here.

n0v

P.S. any questions please ask and I will try to help
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

A big thanks to n0v for all the help given to me setting up my postcode finder to this machine and the new version of Navigator.

Much more when he/she has rewrited the manual.

One thing we found was a slight problem due to a change in the format of the files this new version of Navigator uses, now every line starts with an added "-" character. So if somebody has interest in the UKPC2NVG program and it is not working as the Navigator doesn't recognize the contents of the route file just contact me and I will send you the other format version.

I fear to do a new downloadable program as that small changes seem to be a continuous matter and could lead in confussion for customers, so I do prefer to give a tailored solution to those in troubles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dawrhants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: In feet first Reply with quote

Thanks for this great info. I have been looking for days as to how to add the postcode info since I got my Medion MDPNA 200s from Aldi on Saturday. I will jump in feet first. :D
amhosib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Medion 95900 and UKPC2NVG Reply with quote

This is really a question to n0v relating to the program.
I am currently playing with a trial vesrion for use with a 95900, and as yet cannot get it to initialise and run.
It is clear that you have been able to aftyer a few initial teething issues.
Can you give me some info, and where are you located?

Regards.
amhosib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Medion mdpna200s and postcodes Reply with quote

Have now both found and loaded the software UKPC2NVG such that the otherwise somewhat pedestrian 95900 can utilise full 7 digit postcodes. ( an essential in wild and "woolly" Wales (lets not do the sheep jokes) since many houses have names rather than numbers.
The program does everything it claimsand is user friendly once you have worked out its attributes.
It essentially picks up a previous "Medion" co-ordinates and exchanges them for the full postcode ones.You could do the same thing yourself by creating any route and then using multimap etc find the appropriate co-ordinates and replace using your PC once youve found where Medion stores the routes, but what a fad!!
Full marks to Jose for an easier way out, great.
Now to put TomTom v5 onto the Medion!
amhosib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom v5 also now loaded and functional-Great!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: