Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - My Navigon 4310 Max has wiped it's flash drive!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - My Navigon 4310 Max has wiped it's flash drive!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Help - My Navigon 4310 Max has wiped it's flash drive! Reply with quote

My Navigon 4310 Max GPS wiped its internal flash drive!
I need someone with a 4310 to help me by sending me some of the files on their GPS flash drive.
I have found most of the software and the maps on the internet.
I need the few files on the root of the flash drive to make the think work!
Can someone please post these files (or arrange email via a PM) somewhere so I can get my GPS working.
Just plug your Navigon 4310 Max into your PC and open the Navigon flash drive and copy the files on the root of the drive. I think I have everything inside the NAVIGON folder already but a complete zip of all the files excluding the maps would be the best help.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you contact Navigon as they will be able to help getting the system working.
Really wouldn't recommend you trying to cobble together a working system as you may get problems with file versions being incorrect.
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you got it sorted.
Mine (10 months old) had been misbehaving (white screen on startup then ages to get sat fix).....called Halfords (where I got it in January sales) to be told to check the s/w was up to date. Fair enough. I did the update (which I have done previously for latest maps), and got 'disk corrupt' messages......and the unit was mapless and wiped :-(
So....took it back, but they didn't have an equivalent so refunded the cost.
Reasonable service.

But now not sure what to do.

Do I look out for a 40 Premium Live (I do like the Navigon features - the choice of routes, the FREE traffic updates, speed camera updates - with option to move to ones from here after they expire) - if I stick with the 40 I can continue to use the Brodit clip I have....

.....or do I defect to a Garmin (or other - hate TomTom 'cos of their map update cost and charges for services).

Must haves are simple:
Europe maps (USA option would be nice to have & would pay more for)
Traffic updates (free plz!)
Speed Camera (ideally free plz!)

Nice to haves:
Pedestrian option
'lane assist' or similar

Don't need:
MP3 play
Bluetooth
Phone links

Any ideas welcomed. Target cost around £100-200 (depending on spec, I may be flexible !)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map Updates work out more expensive on the Garmins well than the discounted price you can get with a Navigon (picking the right model (quite possible the 40 includes) and pay about £17 for 2 years (8 quarters) of updates. Speaking personally I never liked Garmin's sudden, seemingly arbitrary, rerouting, which caused me much angst on many journeys. But many others haven't suffered this, admittedly.

If you still like the Navigon then I would review the model you want - still the 40, or now the 20 PLUS is out, might that suit you better, or too restricted? Or you can possibly go a bit up the range on your budget. Check out prices on the Navigon website as well - you are less likely to get old stock there.

I've read a couple of other instances of a card getting wiped with the FAT32 format, apparently prone to corruption, but don't know how real/common a problem that is. Nor how common corruption on the unit is. I haven't heard of many cases, though perhaps there's a problem with Fresh updating at the moment (it does have its moments).

Whether it's the card or the unit, however (assuming you stick with Navigon) the main thing you MUST do before anything else is [u]***BACKUP***[/i]. Then you should be relatively disaster-proof.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I've read a couple of other instances of a card getting wiped with the FAT32 format, apparently prone to corruption, but don't know how real/common a problem that is.
Whether it's the card or the unit, however (assuming you stick with Navigon) the main thing you MUST do before anything else is [u]***BACKUP***[/i]. Then you should be relatively disaster-proof.

My 11 month old 4310 Max Plus (RDS traffic & 2 years maps, etc) locked solid on me about a month ago. Took it back to Halfords who sent it off to Navigon - always knew it was a good thing to keep my old 2110 max!
A week later Halfords asked me to collect a brand new unit and using my latest Fresh backup I was able to get everything back.
The 4310 max plus cost me £140 a year ago and is still available from Halfords @ £90. But if I were buying now I would go for the 40 Premium @ £100. Worth waiting until Christmas Day as last year units *ordered* on 25th had an extra 10% off - they may do the same this year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: