Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapopolis 4 vs CoPilot 5 for PPC, which one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapopolis 4 vs CoPilot 5 for PPC, which one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Mapopolis 4 vs CoPilot 5 for PPC, which one? Reply with quote

Bo Peep and I are shortly heading back to Jersey in the Channel Islands for a holiday. Unfortunately we can’t use TomTom Navigator in Jersey because Tele Atlas hasn't yet mapped the Channel Islands. We therefore have to use a navigation product that uses Navteq data, the two major ones are Mapopolis and CoPilot.

Last time we were in Jersey, we used CoPilot 5, in fact we even wrote a review that can be seen here. The major problems that we had with CoPilot 5 was that:

1. If you took the wrong turn it would direct you back to the point where you deviated from its route, as opposed to the way that TomTom recalculates a new route from your current position.

2. CoPilot would often freeze and need a soft reset of the PocketPC.

3. CoPilot has a nasty habit of loosing favourites you have recorded and as no custom POIs could be saved to the storage card this is very frustrating.

I haven’t got CoPilot 6 so don’t know whether it is an improvement over version 5.

I think that I can buy the Mapopolis maps of the Channel Islands for US$19.00, which isn’t a bad price. Is the Mapopolis application still free? Has anybody used the Mapopolis Channel Islands maps?

What is the current version of Mapopolis like?
Is it intuitive to use?
Does it allow the creation and use of custom POIs that are stored on the storage card and not in the favourites?
What are its routing and rerouting capabilities like?

Basically, would I be better off staying with CoPilot 5 for the holiday, or would it be worth downloading the Mapopolis application and Channel Islands map?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend Mapopolis. The current version is 4.70 RC4.
It's not necessarily intuitive, but has all the features you ask for, and then some.

You can always download the latest version from http://kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/ppc

The maps can be used free for 9 days - maybe that's even covering your stay there...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

Thanks for the information. Our trip is a little longer than 9 days so I would like to buy the maps.

However, I’ve just read that the $19.00 USD (approximately £10.82 GBP) is only for the "Platinum" maps of the Channel Islands, which do not support GPS usage. Therefore I need the "Navigator maps", which do support the use of a GPS but can only be bought in the full map pack of Western Europe, which is $124.00 USD (approximately £70.61 GBP)! Evil or Very Mad

Mapopolis website wrote:
Platinum maps do not support GPS devices. Door-to-door driving directions are generated but no automatic visual or spoken prompts are generated.

Demo maps are time-limited Navigator maps. When used with a GPS device, Navigator maps generate door-to-door driving directions and automatically generate spoken and visual prompts before each turn and automatically re-route when a turn is missed. When used without a GPS device, Navigator maps generate door-to-door driving directions but no automatic visual or spoken prompts.

Navigator maps are sold only in the full Map Pack.

As I use TomTom for most of the time, £70.61 is a bit steep when I only want part of a map, not the whole collection!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use Mapopolis for 9 days, and then fall back to CoPilot...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would certainly take CoPilot with you, for all its shortcomings.
In USA, Mapopolis is highly regarded, but the UK mapping is rather flaky. The maps for Europe are very out of date, and riddled with mistakes. In my home town, there are numerous examples of junctions where Mapopolis thinks you can't turn, so it takes you in the opposite direction for 50 yards, then makes you do a U-turn and retrace your steps. In other places it tries to make you turn where no turn is allowed. Elsewhere it avoids a bypass with a 50 mph limit in favour of going through the centre where the limit is 20 or 30mph, because its data says the limit for both is 20-30mph and the bypass is 50 yards longer.
There is no point in reporting these errors to Navteq, because they don't happen on CoPilot 5 or 6 - it must be something to do with the way Mapopolis has compiled the data.
They allowed me to use a preview copy of a more up to date map set which has not yet been issued, but there are the same problems.
There are features about Mapopolis which I love - the maps are beautiful to look at, but it's not reliable enough for me to do any serious navigation with it
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer

Hope you enjoy your trip and the break. Been to Jersey several times, and usually viewed it as an occasion to leave the GPS behind - you don't really need it, if you get lost it doesn't matter because you're on holiday and having fun, and you might find somewhere by good fortune rather than forward planning. You can't go very quickly, there's no cams, and if you've been before you'll know it all anyway.

I'd certainly think twice before shelling out the readies for another system (Mapopolis) when you've already got one that's probably adequate and not really necessary, when you could spend the cash in one of the better restaurants on a good meal. Hey, it's a holiday - chance to leave all this GPS stuff behind for a while! BTW, the pearls ( nb Bo Peep) and the jumpers are not good value for money.

Not sure what you're going to find to do for more than 9 days, tho............
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrocompass wrote:
BTW, the pearls ( nb Bo Peep) and the jumpers are not good value for money.

Ha ha, you got me there with the pearls! Jersey jewellery is a rip-off, no doubt about it, but I always like to go to the Pick A Pearl and have that made into a nice piece of jewellery.

Thanks to everyone for your views on the software so far.

Regards,

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: