Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 5450 Screen Align Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 5450 Screen Align Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Ipaq 5450 Screen Align Problem Reply with quote

Just had to send my nearly brand new (1 week old)Ipaq 5450 back to HP for repair, because the screen for some reason went miles out of alignment at the top of the screen. Did a hard reset as told to do by HP support, but when I got to the align screen page, the screen just cycled and would not accept the alignment. Has anybody else had, or is aware of this problem.

I had a Jornada for years with no problems at all. Am I just the unlucky one, or is it common ?

Regards Alan

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Ipaq 5450 Screen Align Problem Reply with quote

I'm rather surprised the hard reset was recommended. On most iPAQs (though it may have changed on the 545x series), if you switch the iPAQ on, press and hold the centre of the D pad, then press the Calendar (left most) button, you get into the Align Screen routine without any compromise of your data and any need for any taps anywhere.

Most Pocket PCs have a similar button sequence, though it's not always well documented.

Digitiser issues are always possible with any Pocket PC, particularly if the device is dropped. However, it sounds like your iPAQ was faulty.

I wouldn't have accepted sending a one week old Pocket PC back to HP for repair. I would have returned it to the retailer and demanded an exchange, which should have been rather faster (though this would have led to a short wait if you'd activated TomTom Navigator 2 on your original iPAQ for you to be able to apply for a new activation code!).

Failure within 7 days is probably within the "Dead on Arrival" window most manufacturers of computers and similar devices allow. If the retailer complains that they can't accept the device as they won't get full reimbursement from the manufacturer under a DOA programme, I'd threaten to use your Sale of Goods Act rights, claiming that the device is not fit for purpose.

David
longwori
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem on my Ipaq 3630 each time that I insert my 256MB compact flash jacket. I think it is too busy formatting or indexing the memory card to be able to accurately read the screen. After 30 mins it seems to have done what is is doing (invisibly) and all then seems to be OK (alignment is perfect again) but its a pain in the ass!

I dont know if you are using large memory cards and it could be the same problem?
Parky
Regular Visitor

Thanks both David, and Ian.

The unit has gone back to HP now so I await with baited breath to see the results when I get it back. I was not using a CF Jacket, but the case that comes with the unit when supplied. I never tried the unit out of its case, and reading up on what little there is on this problem on the internet, most of the causes seem to the cases, or jackets causing this.

Thanks for the replies

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: