Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin B2 & Mobile Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin B2 & Mobile Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Origin B2 & Mobile Cameras Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the B2 is a fantastic unit and running along the Navman iCN630 provides the perfect companion.

There is one short coming with the B2 which seems to be its total lack of mobile camera locations. In 18 months of driving with the B2 it has never once identified a mobile unit. Origin have said in the past that these are difficult to include because they are "mobile" but they do seem to advertise "Mobile Laser Speed Trap Warnings" on their home page which could be interpreted as misleading.

However the Mobile POI's on the iCN630 clearly show there many important mobile camera locations around the country and given the choice I would definitely include them on my B2. For this reason alone I keep my Navman up-to-date with this site’s database. Wouldn’t it be great if we could upload POI's to the B2 as well!

I would certainly buy the B2 again, it is excellent in terms of operation and is a "must have" its connector is its weakest point followed by its cradle and its portability.

Has anyone else come to these conclusions or have comments to add?
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everything.

I'd include the dodgy build quality - my B2 rattles like a good un since I screwed it in properly (i.e. the mount is no longer damped by the sticky pads).
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an Origin B2 for a couple of years now, and wouldn't want to be without it. I don't have any problems with the build quality or appearance, apart from sometimes feeling that the magnetic system in the cradle is a bit marginal. Also the connector I use when I update it doesn't always make a 100% reliable connection, and I have to wiggle it sometimes to make it connect.

Generally the B2 does its job without any hassle or worries.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Origin B2 & Mobile Cameras Reply with quote

buckrogers wrote:
" but they do seem to advertise "Mobile Laser Speed Trap Warnings" on their home page which could be interpreted as misleading.

It does indeed give you a warning of mobile laser sites, but not on a database advance warning system like the fixed cameras. It uses the laser dectector to show you a warning that you're being targetted, and if you're over the limit it just shows "you're nicked".

You need to get the "garage door opener", which has saved me next years insurance premium hike the first time it "opened my garage door".

Twisted Evil

p.s. My unit has just lost all power, and has been sent back to origin. Anyone else had this problem?
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Origin B2 & Mobile Cameras Reply with quote

Quite so, the term "mobile" is referring to detection of mobile lasers.

However why can’t the B2 hold record of mobile sites? This feature would be so useful and after all isn’t this the reason why most people buy these units?

It comes as a quite a shock when you drive through a mobile camera point, panic sets in for a second as you are hoping you’ve got the local speed limit right (if in doubt do 30MPH?)

Some roads are badly marked, take the road where I work for example, it looks like a 40MPH zone, everyone drives like it is (even the very careful ones) but it is in fact 30MPH as some have found out to their cost.

Another example is a GATSO on the A5 near Hinckley, the B2 says it’s 70MPH (as you would expect) the locals say its 50 else you’ll be nipped. The traffic is all over the place at this point and are you going to try 70 to find out? – I think not.

My point is that if camera’s are about safety then why don’t they show what speed they are enforcing so as to be absolutely clear?

Any other views on this?
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi uk89camaro. Do you use the LT400 unit? I posted some info about this unit on another thread but the Editor and I disagree about the legality. I think that because it's sold as a remote control device it would be hard to ban it ( human rights issues would soon crop up ). A device that was sold purely as a laser diffuser will be banned. I thought that the LT400 was the only laser diffuser that had a remote control function but again the Editor diagrees and says all diffusers were made to open garage doors. As a user maybe you know the answers to these two areas of debate.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway I am seeking expert legal opinion as to the legality of the LT400 and will report in due course. ( I would say, however, if you use an LT400 then get the kit and make sure it opens a door or a gate or turns on a light or does something by remote control so that if the police do a home visit to find out why their gun didn't read your vehicle your explanation about the LT400 being a remote control stand up!! )
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caravanj wrote:
Hi uk89camaro. Do you use the LT400 unit?

I have an LRC100, which incidentaly Origin claim was the cause of my head unit blowing up!.

I have it wired directly to the Origin harness, not as a standalone system, so it would be almost impossiblr to claim it wasn't being used as a plod diffuser.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anway up, there will be interesting times ahead. I sell and install security systems and the LT400 can be used with any number of home units to open a gate, switch on driveway lights and then open the garage door. With a lot of the "money people" becoming more and more concerned with personal security I think some will easily afford to be able to mount legal challenges if these devices are banned.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: