Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use of Haicom 202S with 202E Dell Axim C
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Haicom 202S with 202E Dell Axim C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wytonpjs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Use of Haicom 202S with 202E Dell Axim C Reply with quote

Help?

I have a Haicom 202E set up for my Dell Axim X5 that works very well. I also have a 202S with a USB connection. Problem is I have buried the 202E cable around, under, through the dash to get a good signal and to tidy up the yards of cable - as such it is not very portable to other cars. Question - can you get a USB (female) to male PS/2 lead that will enable me to hook up the 202S to my Axim via the remainder of the 202E's leads? (I have already con-checked a USB keyboard to PS/2 adapter and discovered that the pin out does not match the 202E pin-out plot). Indeed, if I can hook the 202S up, will it work?

Any info gratefully received.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Use of Haicom 202S with 202E Dell Axim C Reply with quote

I'm finding this a little hard to understand; I think the model numbers may be wrong - but hopefully this reply makes sense.

I think the setup you have on your Axim X5 is a HI-203E - the PDA receiver that uses a "PS/2" connector (it's actually serial, but uses the same 6 pin mini-DIN connectors that are used for PS/2 mice and keyboards - though the connectors are the 'other way round' from real PS/2 to help prevent incorrect connection to a PS/2 port - the peripheral has a female connector).

The other GPS you're talking about is a USB GPS - I think a HI-202E or similar.

There's not any way to connect the USB GPS to the Axim. There's a USB serial chip in the GPS module that there's no way round. A couple of Pocket PCs do have USB host capabilities - the Axim is not one of them (though I expect there are no drivers for that chip for Pocket PC anyway).

It's a shame your problem isn't the other way round - you can get a USB cable that goes to the "PS/2" connector on Haicom's serial GPSes. I have one of those with my Haicom HI-303MMF which works extremely well. That cable uses the same chip as in the HI-202E (in fact, you need to use the HI-202E drivers with it).

David
wytonpjs
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your steer - you have got it right, I wanted to use the USB GPS as well as my serial one with the Axim connector kit as I have "buried" the serial in the dashboard. THe USB controller chip appears to be the problem - ah well, looks like its going on eBay!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: