Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is a 6V input OK for Ipaq 3630?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a 6V input OK for Ipaq 3630?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Is a 6V input OK for Ipaq 3630? Reply with quote

I have a multi-voltage selectable adapter for a car lighter socket but the choices are 4.5 or 6V. Looking in the shops, this seems to be pretty common. I know 5V adapters are available but as I already have this one, if I dont need to shell out £15 for a new one then that would be great. Does anyone know if it is acceptable to put 6V into the Ipaq? I am sure I have read somewhere recently that the Ipaq regulates the voltage input to some extent.

Also, do I even need a lead? I dont know how long my Ipaq will run on full charge with a CF jacket and TomTom2 running on it (I dont have the software yet). Anyone know roughly what you could expect?

Thanks for any feedback,

Ian.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Is a 6V input OK for Ipaq 3630? Reply with quote

It should run fine at 6V but are you happy to risk an expensive item such as this for the sake of £15? My 3630 with a Navman sleeve runs for about 2hrs with infrequent use of the backlight on battery so I'd say a 12v power lead is a must!

If you have a 36xx series iPAQ, Expansys do a retractable 12v charger for £8.81 here
longwori
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply Darren.

Do you know if the expansys lead plugs in the DC socket of the Ipaq or the sync connector? (I need the sync connector free to link to my Garmin)

Cheers,

Ian,
Dave
Frequent Visitor

There are two leads you can purchase, one is the 3600 lead which plugs into the DC socket, and there's a 3800/3900/5400 charger lead which will plug into the sync socket. You want the first one (3600).
longwori
Regular Visitor

Having just received my Arkon CM506 mount (designed for use with the Ipaq), I have measured the output from the DC Out (on the side) and the USB charging socket with a multimeter. Both are set to 6.5 volts!! I grit my teeth and pluggeed it into the Ipaq and all seems to be fine so far. From this I guess that it would have been OK to use any cheap cigarette lighter socket adapter set to 6V.
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Darren on 16 May 2003

It should run fine at 6V but are you happy to risk an expensive item such as this for the sake of £15? My 3630 with a Navman sleeve runs for about 2hrs with infrequent use of the backlight on battery so I'd say a 12v power lead is a must!

If you have a 36xx series iPAQ, Expansys do a retractable 12v charger for £8.81 here

IIUC The Ipaq 3630 expects an input DC voltage of 5V...anything much more or less is likely to be detrimental to the life of the battery or the unit itself.

longwori
Regular Visitor

I must admit, I would have prefered the reading to be 5V but this is a £50 mount designed for the Ipaq so I can only assume that it is OK to use. I agree, if you can get a 5V supply then great but the message has to be not to expect anything you buy that is advertised as outputing 5V to output at 5V in reality (the Arkon mount). I dont know if it will cause any problems in the long term but I expect not as there are many other readers of these forums that have probably been using third party power supplies advertised for use with their Ipaqs for some time without having checked the voltage independently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: