Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hot weather problems ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot weather problems ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Hot weather problems ? Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq 1710 navigator kit which came with the wired Tom Tom GPs. I have recently upgraded to TTN5.

At the moment I leave everthing in the car ( volkswagen passat ) except the ipaq which is removed when parked up. Sad

I have no problem getting a GPS fix in the mornings when the car is cool, but after the car has been parked in the sun all day i am unable to get a GPS fix. Has anyone else had this same problem. I have only had the kit since March so this is the first hot weather the system has experie Sad Sad nced.

Can anyone give me advice as to whether this is due to the sat receiver getting too hot on the dash through the windscreen ! If so can anyone advise me where, from experiance is a more suitable position, so as to still get a good sattelite reception.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rinkrat
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a problem for the last 5 or 6 weeks, where the GPS sees plenty of satellites (10 for example on my home today) but doesn't lock. I've only noticed this on hot days - invariably when we're out on a day trip (because it's sunny) and drivig somewehere new - and the GPS would be very useful.

I posted a similar thread on the weekend, but haven't had a reply yet..
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact thinking back, I even put a piece of silver foil over it for a week or so when I was parked, to help prevent it overheating in the sun.

I think it seemed to fix it, as I stopped doing it - I'll put another piece on it tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup us you. I have not encountered that problem - fix is the same whatever the temperature. I do recommend one thing though - buy a beanire baby and have it sit on your GPS. The Aardvark I have is 100% GPS transparent, but keeps the sun off the device, and helps hide the GPS from the view of passers by.

The only temperature problem I have had - and this only happened yestrerdfay, not during hotter weather I encountered in the Netherlands recently - the attachment to the window become very wobbly - it went back to normal when the temperature dropped so I think it was just the trapped air in the suction cup expanding and reducing the relative difference in pressure between inside the cup and outside. The mount never actually fell off the windscreen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: