Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ITIS & TMC Data - TomTom & Co-Pilot supported...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIS & TMC Data - TomTom & Co-Pilot supported...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: ITIS & TMC Data - TomTom & Co-Pilot supported... Reply with quote

All

In my continuing quest for a TMC provider in the UK that doesn't charge a subscription and stuff, it appears that my quest is slowly running out of options.

However, when perusing ITIS' website, I see from their company results announcement that they've secured new contracts with TomTom & Co-Pilot.

Does this mean that Co-Pilot Traffic could soon be a reality??

http://www.itisholdings.com/pdf/ITIS%20Results150605.pdf

S
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it's all corporate mumbo but thought this cutting might be of particular interest...

Quote:
An important growth area in navigation has been in the PDA (Personal Digital Assistant), PND (Personal Navigation Device) and Smart Phone market which has given rise to significant further opportunities for us to sell our data. ITIS’ focus on the development of content enables us to work closely with the hardware manufacturers in this fast growing market to integrate traffic. We now provide our traffic content exclusively to Co-pilot, Route 66 and Tom Tom and we are very close to finalising agreements with the other major vendors in this market.

Goodie-goodie....

S
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ITIS & TMC Data - TomTom & Co-Pilot supported... Reply with quote

Spudson wrote:
All

In my continuing quest for a TMC provider in the UK that doesn't charge a subscription and stuff, it appears that my quest is slowly running out of options.

However, when perusing ITIS' website, I see from their company results announcement that they've secured new contracts with TomTom & Co-Pilot.

Does this mean that Co-Pilot Traffic could soon be a reality??

http://www.itisholdings.com/pdf/ITIS%20Results150605.pdf

S

I am in a similar position. I thought I had found the product with Navigon (I already have the receiver!) - and then the new version doesnt support TMC in the UK (apparantly due to a breakdown in negotiations with iTIS)

The iTIS report is interesting. As we know there is not currently a PDA solution including RDS-TMC in the UK. The old version of navigion was the only option. Any other options (i.e TomTom) relied on a GPRS connection.

A couple of people here post that TMC is "old technology" and the "furture is GPRS/Internet etc", but as I have stated before TMC is growing in popularity with vehicle manufatueres - hence they have sorted out the licensing issues; so why can PDA software companies?

iTIS might have agreements to supply data to TomTom but via GPRS rather than RDS-TMC

However!! The report states

Quote:
RDS-TMC remains our most important service and is currently provided to sixteen car manufactuers and virtually the entire aftermarket navigation sector

But strangly no PDA RDS-TMC systems!!

Quote:
An important growth area in navigation has been PDA, PND and smartphone giving us opportunities to sell our data. We now provide our traffic content exclusively to Co-pilot, Route 66 and Tom Tom and we are very close to finalising agreements with the other major vendors in this market.

This does not specified how iTIS sell their data, be it by RDS-TMC or otherwise. The iTIS document does suggest that the sole method is RDS "i.e data is broadcast using classic FM etc". However TOMTOM and Co-Pilot have both advised that they have no intention of supporting a RDS based system.
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous commentary regarding RDS-TMC for me is a load of ol' tosh!

I acknowledge that at present, mobile internet is probably the way to go, but the mobile GSM network cannot currently support this as widely as RDS-TMC can. Once GPRS can reach a wider population, then it'll be more accessable and usable as a data source.

So, until then, if you want a reliable data source that you can access (although there will be areas that fall out of the GWR/Classic network), throughout Europe, RDS-TMC is the way to go.

However, what TomTom are doing is that they're contracting with ITIS for a fee, and then "sell" this data on to their "subscribers". The "subscriber" gets hit both for the "subscription" and for the data-download charges. Then, if you go away on business to Germany/Italy, and want to avoid traffic, oops! You've got to take out another subscription (so in all likelihood, you won't do it) yet RDS-TMC will work!!

Who gets the best deal?? Certainly not the end-user. Whereas the factory fitted manufacturers have contracted with ITIS for a fee (just like TomTom), they take the hit through lifetime ownership costs. What TomTom haven't worked-out is the same ownership costs for their software - but have taken the less risky option.

But, at the end of the day, it's a revenue generator. Alturion offer a solution that supports both RDS-TMC and download across the internet (which'll need your GPRS supplier to open up your mobile access) so it's permissible. It's just that not that many providers want to take the step.

Apologies if I've waffled on a bit, bit ooohhhh it's a sore subject...

S

Basically, they pay for a feed from ITIS, they then make this available via "subscription" which means that the fee is then syndicated a one-off fee and then

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: