Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seamless Europe map on Navigator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seamless Europe map on Navigator 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Seamless Europe map on Navigator 6 Reply with quote

Hi,

Just received (yesterday) the new Navigator 6 software with maps of Western Europe, ordered directly from TomTom.
Everything is fine on my HTC Tytn. The only problem is that it is impossible to install the seamless Europe map, even though I have more than 1.5GB free on my card (the map needs about 900 MB).
While TomTom Home is trying to unpack the CAB files containing the map, at about 65% of the progress bar, it says "Error unpacking the .CAB file". This happens BEFORE the transfer to the device starts.
I have tried also installing directly on the card via card reader (this is supported by TomTom Home), but the problem obviously remains.

TomTom support by email keeps sending me non-sense answers, and does not admit the problem. I think it is quite obviously a bug in the installation files.

Does anyone else have this problem?
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, have you tried phoning them?
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just did it. After asking level-2 support, their only suggestion was to reboot the PC! Of course I have done that already several times since yesterday!
Now I am trying to copy the CAB files manually on the SD Card, and try installing them on the device, but I am not sure that this can work...
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is impossible to install the cab files directly, they are probably too big. The device also comes with an error saying that the CAB files are not digitally signed.

Does anyone else have Navigator 6 Europe?!?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it with V6, but in TT5 you have the ability to decompress the Map Files to the PC Hard Drive.

If you can do this, (as you appear to be able to use a Card Reader) do that and then Copy the Files from the Hard Drive to the Card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not that simple. I have decompressed the cab files manually, but the result is 7 files with numbered extensions that clearly need to be properly installed on the device using the installer.
CLINE.DAT comes clean, but not all of them.
I understand I must be the first customer ever with Navigator 6 Europe on DVD...!!!
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you are not the first customer with TTN6 on DVD.

I have it installed already on my Ipaq 4700, I played safe and purchased the windows mobile 5 update disc before installing tomtom 6.

I installed the tomtom home app first and then updated that over the Internet, and then I picked the entire Western Europe map to install to my sd card.

Worked a treat after taking about an hour!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirox wrote:
It is not that simple. I have decompressed the cab files manually, but the result is 7 files with numbered extensions that clearly need to be properly installed on the device using the installer.
I understand I must be the first customer ever with Navigator 6 Europe on DVD...!!!

the .000 file contains the full names of all the other files, in order of appearance.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
Perhaps you are not the first customer with TTN6 on DVD.

I have it installed already on my Ipaq 4700, I played safe and purchased the windows mobile 5 update disc before installing tomtom 6.

I installed the tomtom home app first and then updated that over the Internet, and then I picked the entire Western Europe map to install to my sd card.

Worked a treat after taking about an hour!

I have a Windows Mobile 2005 device (HTC Tytn), so I do not have to update my device.
With regards to the installation procedure, there is no choice. The DVD automatically installs TomTom Home, and then you have to use TomTom Home to install everything.
All works well, and I can install any map on my device, and everything works well. The ONLY problem is that TomTom Home generates an error while decompressing the Western Europe map, so that map will not install.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried re-formatting the Sd card.

I did this after backing up all my old POI's etc from TTN5, so that it would be a fresh install.

Initially I got an error message in Tomtom home saying not enough space, but realised it was defaulting to the Ipaq's own storage.
So had to click on the SD card tab.

Then all went smooth!
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
Have you tried re-formatting the Sd card.

I did this after backing up all my old POI's etc from TTN5, so that it would be a fresh install.

Initially I got an error message in Tomtom home saying not enough space, but realised it was defaulting to the Ipaq's own storage.
So had to click on the SD card tab.

Then all went smooth!

Yes, I have no such issues. TomTom Home also allows you to install directly on the SD Card using a card reader, and even so I get the error.
But let me be clear once again: the error happens during step 1 of 2 of the installation process, therefore before even starting transferring anything on the card. In fact, when I install the other smaller maps, the transfer to the card starts at step 2 of 2, as step 1 is only for unpacking inside the PC.

The error is within the TomTom Home application. The popup says "An error occured while unpacking the .cab file". The unpacking happens on the PC, before the transfer.
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
sirox wrote:

the .000 file contains the full names of all the other files, in order of appearance.

Lutz,

I just decompressed the Western Europe cab file manually, using WinZip. What I get is:

cline.006 (539MB)
poi.010 (36KB)
tmccodes.008 (2KB)
traffic.009 (1KB)
WEST~0A4.007 (1KB)
WEST~0E4.000 (1KB)
WEST~5GF.011 (1KB)

How am I supposed to install these manually on the SD card?!?
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I was able to examine the temporary directory used by TomTom Home to decompress the file. It creates a temp directory with a long name within the system temp directory of Windows XP, and decompresses all files there.
It does manage to decompress the following files:

poi.dat
traffic.dat
Western_Europe-3382e49c.mac
Western_Europe.mid
tmccodes.dat
cline.dat (539MB)
mapinfo.dat

I the see the file "faces.dat" appear for a second, and then TomTom Home generates the mentioned error. Looks like the decompression of faces.dat creates the problem.

Any idea?

I would really like to hear from other Navigator 6 (software and maps of Europe) customers. The version for the HP PDA's might be different.

Perhaps it is a configuration issue on my PC?
Sad that TomTom has no clue, although they have offered me a full refund (within 28 days) if this is a deal breaker for me!
sirox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Finally! Reply with quote

Today TomTom Customer Support FINALLY admitted that there is a problem. They admitted that the same issue happens in their own office on their own equipment!!!!
They told me a technician is investigating the problem, and that it might be related to security settings on the PC. They also told me that the issue does not appear on all computers, so they told me to try another PC while they work on a permanent fix.

At least they are working on it!!!

Funny how every time I call them they deny the existence of the Europe map, and every time I have to tell them how fool they are since that map is a heavily publicised feature of Navigator 6!!!
There is no doubt that their 1st-level support staff is really "low level"!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirox wrote:

I just decompressed the Western Europe cab file manually, using WinZip. What I get is:

cline.006 (539MB)
poi.010 (36KB)
tmccodes.008 (2KB)
traffic.009 (1KB)
WEST~0A4.007 (1KB)
WEST~0E4.000 (1KB)
WEST~5GF.011 (1KB)

How am I supposed to install these manually on the SD card?!?

You simply copy them into a folder on the storage card. rename the extensions to .dat according to the contents of the WEST~0E4.000 file.

And go find the missing files (002, 003, 005 etc)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: