Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Picked up a copy of Tomtom 5 at the weekend - every installed easily and it detected my GPS receiver (Holux 231) first time (unlike TomTom3).

Got to try it out in anger for the first time today and well disapointed is hardly the word.

It appears to have a major problem with my HX4700 - it closes the program after 20 to 40 minutes - and as I've just discovered from the forums when Tomtom 5 exits on the 4700 it freezes the whole machine for several minutes - has anyone got any ideas how to fix this ? (I'm suspecting a major memory leak personally). I've run Tomtom3 on this machine for several weeks with no problems and have now reverted back to it as it has never let me down ...

An comments / suggestions welcomed.

DinAlt
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HX4700 paired with a Fortuna Clip On.

Before I installed TomTom 5 I did a hard reset of the unit and reformatted my memory card. The software has loaded with no problems and has been ok with the gps receiver.

My first trial was a two hour trip last sunday, having traffic updating every 15 mins. The software worked with no problems and did not lose the connetion or hang. In my view much better than version 3.

However I does hang if I exit the program whilst still in route mode, the work around is to clear the trip before exiting. The only major niggle is that TomTom switches off bluetooth during the exit routine.
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using TTN5 on HX4700 (ROM 1.10) & Lexar 80x 1Gb CF card for about 2 weeks.

With ROM 1.00 on the Ipaq TTN seemed to take 20 seconds or so to free the device after exiting but never crashed on exit or randomly shut down. After upgrading to ROM version 1.10 this no longer seems to be an issue and the Ipaq is freed almost immediately.

I have used TTN since V1 and overall I am happy with the developments over the various versions. I still prefer TomTom over the other offerings that I have tried.

I am sure TomTom will resolve the issues with V5 in the near future!

I have 7 copies of TTN3 in my copmany vehicles on various PPC's but I am going to wait until recent V5 issues are resolved before upgrading.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported the issue to TomTom last week, had a reply back today. Seems they already know about the problem and are already working on a fix, also said there will be an FAQ relating to the freezing problem on their site within the next couple of weeks.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I updated to ROM 1.10 today but it took so long I've not had chance to see if it helps - however I'm not too confident - hope TomTom get round to fixing this quickly or I'm gonna hvet o switch back to TT3

DinAlt
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't make any difference when I updated my rom to 1.10 Sad
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am experiencing problems with TTN5 on my 4700 with the app crashing and have tried to do a bit of investigation into a possible cause...

I noticed on one occasion when TTN5 dumped me back to the Today screen (after around 45 minutes of driving) that the amount of free memory was very low (1.5MB). Keeping an eye on the memory usage while the PDA did a long demo route confirmed that TTN5 seems to be eating RAM on the 4700 and not releasing it - a classic memory leak. Eventually the PDA simply runs out of memory.

Reading earlier posts it seems that some people don't seem to be having such problems, so could I ask if anyone can confirm that they have been able to get say 3 hours continuous use of TTN5 on the 4700 without it crashing?

Cheers,

Paul
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck, just got a 4700 and waiting for TomTom 5 BT to be delivered... This is not what I want to be reading.

Will post back in a week or so once I have fetled with it.. (I also have upgraded the Rom)
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<tick>
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been gathering information about TTN2004/TTN5 on VGA devices. Every VGA device including the 4700, FS 720, Axim x50v, and asus a730(w), has these 2 problems, exit freeze and memory leak.

The reason why people did not notice the memory leak is due to two reasons. First they were driving so they did not keep track of the memory usage. If you really want to try you'll have to be sitting at home checking the usage every 5min to see that it gradually decreases until the whole device ran out of both storage and program memory.

The second reason is the size of RAM people have. Some have 64mb, some have 128mb. As you can guess the more ram you have the longer it takes to eat all of the RAM. I believe for a 64mb device it will take approximately 1 hr to eat all of the memory. Now 1 hr is probably more than enough for people to navigate around the city. It is not unusal they didn't notice this. What they can definitely notice is the exit freeze. Most people simply do a soft reset instead of waiting for unfreeze. This is of course not a very elegant solution.

I hope tomtom will release this fix. Both of these problems started since TTN2004!!!
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi outie.
I'm sure your right about VGA devices and memory consumption, however I have the HX4700 and have not had any problems with exit freezes since upgrading to ROM 1.10. I will keep an eye on the memory thing and see what happens over say 2 or 3 hours.

I don't have anything else installed on the HX4700 at the moment, just TTN5, no other applications, no calendar entries etc, and since I only use wired GPS on the 4700 and don’t have any contacts stored on it, I have removed the TTN bluetooth support and contact navigation support. I am using a Lexar 80x 1Gb CF card with GB, France, Germany & Spain maps on it.

Not sure if the above configuration makes any difference but I don't seem to get the same level of problems others seem to be experiencing. The only real problem I have is with the inbuilt POI’s which has been discussed here.

I too hope TomTom come up with fixes soon, but I feel I must ask “why don’t these people test the software properly before releasing it to the general public?”
Surely the HX4700 and X50 are popular enough devices to have been extensively tested with V5 prior to release.

I appreciate that there are going to be minor bugs and map problems etc discovered after release but surely somebody would have noticed severe memory issues and the inability to navigate to UK petrol station POI’s during the testing stages.
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running TTN5 on the HX4700 for a couple of weeks now. I use a Lexar 1G SD card.

I'm doing 2-2.5 hours each way commute to work each day and haven't had a freeze up yet - apart from when exiting. Plenty of POIs displayed, and warnings for speed cameras etc.

Not sure what ROM I'm running, can't remember how I tell now.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find out your ROM version by running 'HP Asset Viewer' in Settings. The 'Version' tab includes the ROM info.

Cheers,

Paul
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - I'm on ROM version 1.00.09.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rom 1.1 was a no go - had the machine on demo mode and it crashed to desktop after 10 min - so I'm back on TT3. And after reading TT's answers in other posts about bluetooth iI think they need to rethink their customer service ideas fast...

DinAlt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: