Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 is no good!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 is no good!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MR_WHITE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: TomTom 5 is no good!!! Reply with quote

I think that TomTom 5 is a big let down (i'm on a glad I didn't waste money on it). First of all I had problems setting up my Bluetooth GPS receiver, then problems setting my home address! it insists that I live 200yards further down the road than i do! There is 2 roads not far from me that has been close for four to five years but Tomtom 5 still insists that they are open. They seriously need to sort problems out like this If they expect people to buy their product!!! Ive gone back to TT3.07

TT5 is no good!!!!
Asghar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too fond of the update either as TomTom 3 had a much nicer interface.

Also when searching for an address the streets that appear cover almost the entire lenght of the screen meaning most of the time you can't even see the first part of the postcode. This makes it very difficult as for popular street names you can't see if the street is in the area you want.

TomTom 3 (right picture) always showed the first four digits of the postcode so you could choose the street in the area you want.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree, like many other comments on this forum, I think TTN5 is a retrograde step, the program is not as user friendly and while I am sure that 3rd party software like checkpoint will eventually become available to overcome the deficiencies in the program, it is liittle consolation to those who have parted with money to buy or upgrade to TTN5.

I have also reverted back to TTN3.07, which I find much more user friendly.
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally happy, mainly because of two improvements:

1) Seeing road names on the 3d map is really useful
2) Being able to stick to the routing option (such as fastest, shortest) instead of always reverting to fastest when you go off route. This is worth the upgrade in itself if you ask me.

But I agree with the niggles. My two main gripes are:

1) There seems to be a bug that prevents contacts integration on ipaq 3970s
2) You can no longer select a location as departure or destination while browsing the map in planning mode. This used to be a really helpful tool if you didn't know the house number or crossing. You could just pick a spot and set it as departure or destination. The workaround I've found is to select such points as POIs, then start the planning again using the new POIs as start and end. Afterwards delete them. But what a palaver!

And then there's the TeleAtlas maps. So far I've seen no improvements on the previous ones. The scores of roads in North London that were mis-named have not been touched, and there are other glaring errors such as Camden High Street (the main road north out of central London) being shown as two-way when it's actually one-way. I think TeleAtlas are complacent and lazy, and I wish there were some way of bringing them to task.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys fed back your feelings to TomTom? It's all well and good moaning on here, give them a chance to correct what you feel is wrong by letting them know Smile If enough people moan, maybe they will make the necessary changes in future patches.

I agree, in many ways they have taken a step backwards, its just not as easy to use now, but some of the features are a lot more powerful than TT3 so I'm going to stick with it.

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't - but I will. Only got it yesterday!

Doesn't this forum have a method of collecting comments and then passing them to TomTom with greater sway than us mere individuals?
JokerNI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: me 2p's worth Reply with quote

Based on pass experiences with TomTom support is it worthwhile emailing them? Their customer support is quite simply crap At least here we can discuss issues and combing user knowledge even resolve some issues.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can no longer select a location as departure or destination while browsing the map in planning mode.

Advanced Planning > Depart from > Point on map

Advanced planning > Destination > Point on map

The advanced is a godsend as far I am concerned. It is a great feature and far more logical than the A>B way that TT3 did it.
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posters above about pushing TomTom to correct the faults in TomTom 5. As far as discrepencies in the mapping though wont the fault still be there until next years upgrade? And how many of us have thought every time we come up againt a fault in the maps in TomTom 3 that at least the next release would be better?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapping errors are like elections. You can complain about them AFTER you have reported them to TeleAtlas and they haven't included the fix in the next release.

Just moaning about the error may help psychologically in the short term but that's about it.

TomTom - like all the other companies - tend to ignore the "wishlists" compiled by forums like this one. Thousands of individual mails have a much bigger impact.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been painstakingly through approx 40 mis-named roads in North London, and reported them, one at a time, to teleatlas through TomTom's site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: