Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 upgrade - Installation tips
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 upgrade - Installation tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: TT5 upgrade - Installation tips Reply with quote

Having just upgraded from TT3 toi TT5, I thought I'd share my installation tips...

1 The maps are all listed from CD1, therefore you don't need to know which of the CDs contains which country. You'll be prompted from CD1 to enter the other CDs as required.

2 Install maps using a card reader not ActiveSync (which takes forever) - Select the advanced option from the map install option.

3 When validating the package use the automatic option but assuming you are using ActiveSync to do this, put the PPC in the cradle first. The product code you'll be asked to enter (no spaces) is on the credit card sized card.
If you attempt a manual install, as well as the product code, you'll need to go to the TT site to get an activation code. The two are different.

4 Install the Great Britain postcodes from CD01 but add also create an empty folder on your SD card titled "tomtom". If you fail to do this, 7 figure postcodes will not work.

5 According to the manual, the first voice (Jane) is installed with the main application. I did not find this to be the case and had to install Jane from Add/Remove Extra featuers > Install Voice prompt.
adlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks mate Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the hints it helped me sort out why I was not getting my 7 digit post codes to work - cheers
Deadly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable....after 3 hours of searching I find the 7 digit postcode answer here...thank you!!!!! Why the hell the install from Tom Tom didn't do this is beyond me and hwy the tech support take days to answer is beyond me!!! Havin to search the net for a way to install legitimately purchased software is like playing a flipping computer game trying to unlock the mysterious hidden clues...TOM TOM sort it out!!!!!!!

Mark Deadly Smedley
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bl

I have also wondered why the post code hasnt worked correctly!!

Why, <if you know> do you have to put an empty file onto your card for the 7 digit post code to work and what difference can the empty file make?

Thanks for the advice

Howard
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 upgrade - Installation tips Reply with quote

bl wrote:

4 Install the Great Britain postcodes from CD01 but add also create an empty folder on your SD card titled "tomtom". If you fail to do this, 7 figure postcodes will not work.

Nice reference guide - thanks. I've followed it and all went smoothly, but still only getting four/five-digit postcode lookup.

After creating an empty folder on the card and naming it "tomtom", is there supposed to be anything in the folder when you've completed installing GB postcodes ? The folder I've created "tomtom" is empty.

Also I'm attempting to enter my postcodes in the "Navigate to..." > "Address" > "City:" field, if that is the right place to enter postcodes.

On my SD card after installing maps/postcode, I've got these folders:

Great_Britain (full of map info files)
tomtom (empty folder I created)
zip (contains a file of 8.41mb)
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also I'm attempting to enter my postcodes in the "Navigate to..." > "Address" > "City:" field, if that is the right place to enter postcodes.

You need to install postcode from the main CD. It will place a "Zip" folder on your SD card.

Second, you get a destination by going to
Navigate to... > Postcode
Not as you tried to above.
brian3315
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: installation Reply with quote

Do you remove TT3 first or install over it.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you remove TT3 first or install over it.

I deleted the maps from the SD card but did not remove the TT3 application itself.
In this way, I guess it can pick your customised settings. Well it did for me anyway!
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl wrote:
Quote:

You need to install postcode from the main CD. It will place a "Zip" folder on your SD card.

Second, you get a destination by going to
Navigate to... > Postcode
Not as you tried to above.

Thanks bl - all good now. Smile

Somehow I'd not noticed the Postcode icon. Many thanks.
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Do I need all these things? Reply with quote

On a related matter...

After upgrading from TT3 to TT5 I now have the following five things showing under my ActiveSync Add / Remove Programs option...

TomTom ~ Bluetooth Support
TomTom Navigator
TomTom Navigator Voice
TomTom Today
TomTom Voice 04

I also still have an Icon for TomTom GPS under Programs on my PocketPC Start button. The app it runs looks (v3.07) looks different to the GPS Status option that is run from within TomTom Preferences/GPS Status

Do I really need all the above 5 items or can any of them be uninstalled? Also do I still need the v3.07 of the TomTom GPS? I am using a Bluetooth Fortuna Clipon receiver (but having to use 'Other Cabled GPS' option to connect).

I know I could try and delete them but I have it all working fine and am too scared of messing it up to try and it see!

Thanks in advance for any replies....
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post - clear and concise.

It does indicate that maybe the testing wasnt as extensive as it could have been.

Mike
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Useful posting. As someone whose upgrade hasn't arrived, thanks!

Moderators, can this posting be made a "sticky"?

As the moderators haven't done this, and a lot of the questions have come up again recently, I'll reply to this and "temporarily" bump this up Wink
martin1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi can anyone tell me if i can use tt5 with maps for florida or do i need different software
Central1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Postcode Zip file Reply with quote

I am on 2 weeks holiday using my new Tomtom nav 5 to find my way about.
I installed my postcode data OK from CD1 before I left home but have accidentally deleted the zip file from my SD card.
Anyone know where I can download the file from or do I have to wait until I get home to use postcodes again?
Thanks Pete.
central@tiscali.co.uk
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you can receive 8.4mb e-mail - it's on it's way to you

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: