Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 and Bluetooth GPS, does it work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 and Bluetooth GPS, does it work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cweck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: TTN5 and Bluetooth GPS, does it work? Reply with quote

I have a Globalsat 338 and have been thinking of uppgrading to TTN5, however, it seems to me after reading below that TTN5 and Bluetooth GPS doesn't work. Has anyone been able to get this combination to work. I have an Ipaq 4700.
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly this configuration and have it set up and working fine.
I chose other cable NMEA GPS
Baud Rate 38400
Bluetooth serial port COM8.

The bluetooth link does not shut down when you come out of TT5 which is a bonus.

I could not configure it to use the bluetooth receiver option though Question
fpw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got TTN5 on the Palm working fine via BT with my old TT3 BT receiver, in fact, it's a lot more reliable in connecting/disconnecting tidyly. Not sure about other makes of BT though.
japester36
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem of configuring my hx4700, TTN5 and a ClipOn BT GPS and found that I was only offered two Com5 ports to use it as BT GPS in TTN5. I did get it to work by coming out of TT and deleting the pairing with the ClipOn and then repairing. This seemed to create a new entry in TTN5 for Com8 when I got to setting up the GPS Device.

I was using the wired option but I do now prefer the Bluetooth to be turned on and off automatically. No real reason apart from keeping battery usuage to minimum and not needing BT until I use the GPS. At least this way I have the choice and can revert to wired if I decide to keep it turned on.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoorc wrote:
I have exactly this configuration and have it set up and working fine.
I chose other cable NMEA GPS
Baud Rate 38400
Bluetooth serial port COM8.

The bluetooth link does not shut down when you come out of TT5 which is a bonus.

I could not configure it to use the bluetooth receiver option though Question

I used this temporary solution as well. Had been despairing with getting a bluetooth connection with TT Nav 5 to my Socket GPS until this reading alix776's genius workaround.

Still it sometimes takes TomTom Nav 5 a few minutes of persuading to use it to get a proper BT connection which can be frustating, and sometimes it freezes up. (On an iPAQ 2200 - which I bought cheaply on ebay last Friday.. as I've had the TT Nav 5 upgrade for 5 days, but had lent my Axim X50v out and it doesn't come back for 10 more days)

And, for me anyway, if you only want to look at TT Navigator 5, and maybe demonstate a route (without having you BT GPS switched on), TT Nav 5 complains by constantly by opening the Bluetooth Browser menu and prompting you to select a Bluetooth device - making it hard work to look at TT Nav 5 unless you have an active BT connection.
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone who has got this working with a BT receiver please detail the steps they are taking and in which order please?
I have tried the Other BT method and also Other Cable NMEA, selecting all the possible baud rates and Bluetooth Serial Port (Com 8) and still no joy - it still says No GPS device. Nav3 worked fine everytime.
All the time I have a strong connection to my GlobalSat BT receiver but I can't even get the spinning icon in the top right to show a connection under the GPS status.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! I've looked at how other people have got TTN5 working but It wont work on my 4700. The only options I get is COM port 5. I've tried re-pairing etc makes no difference. Any help appreciated please.
raistlin295
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with some inspiration as well.

I've tried all the solutions I can find on the forum with my BT338 and Ipaq 2210 but nothing seems to work Sad

Mind you, TTN support have eventually answered my question with a brilliant answer:- buy a TTN BT receiver Evil or Very Mad
CoolJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Ipaq 4700 with bluetooth & nav 5 Reply with quote

I did as suggested setting up my 4700 with Acore GPS as wired and it worked fine, but then read that you could run it on max baud so tried that but it didn't work, then on the off chance I tried it as "other Bluetooth" and it worked! It's much better than using the wired option, don't know why it does but there you go, give it a try!!
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got mine working now. The problem was the old TTN3 leaving "bits" of the old GPS driver around I think. I had to effectivley do a hard reset and start from scratch. I have to say it takes an age to load and then find a fix, I'm halfway to work before it springs to life. Still, at least it's working.
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHC wrote:
I've finally got mine working now. The problem was the old TTN3 leaving "bits" of the old GPS driver around I think. I had to effectivley do a hard reset and start from scratch. I have to say it takes an age to load and then find a fix, I'm halfway to work before it springs to life. Still, at least it's working.

I found a pile of old GPS entries in the registry from version 3 but removing them has not helped with TTN5. I'll follow the hard reset route tonight or tomorrow as well....
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi raistlin295

I had big problems using 2210 with TT5 and Holux gr230 bt receiver. I bought a TT GPS and it all works a dream. Godd way to increase their sales

Robbins
Bluebottle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
One of the thnings I have observed with TT5 is you have to allow it to establish a connection with the Bluetooth GPS before tou do anything on the menu's and screen.

When I open Tomtom 5 as soon as the screen is loaded it says No Device Found! Ok thats good! reason is it is esablishing a conection to your GPS. Afetr approx 1min it will suddenly connect to your BT GPS. Then your on your way Smile

When I close Tomtom 5 down it turns off the Bluetooth on my XDA2i. I do not need to turn it back on if I want to open TT5 again. I have started tt5 with the BT off and it still picks up the GPS BT after 1 min or so.

All I can say is be patient and it shoudl connect, well it does on mine anyway.

Its not like tt3 where it is connected straight away!

Let me know if this helps..

Cheers

Blue

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: