Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some questions about the setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions about the setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Some questions about the setup Reply with quote

1. Is it possible to have both the PDA and the BT GPS charging at the same time in the car? I have 2 cigarette lighter sockets. Would I need to buy an extra adapter cable?

2. Is there a windscreen mount for the PDA included? If not, do you have to buy one separately from somewhere?

3. Is it likely that all these new BT GPS devices will have roughly similar performance? In which case, if I plan to use TTN2, would I be better advised to wait for TT's own BT GPS?

4. Currently using Navman 3400 + SmartST. Wondering if the upgrade to Navman's BT 4400 would be wiser than switching to TT GPS + TTN2. Would be cheaper to stick to Navman as the software would remain the same, but since everything else will be changing, including the PDA (my current Ipaq is not BT-enabled) maybe it's more sensible to make a clean sweep? I'd be grateful for your views.
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Some questions about the setup Reply with quote

Sorry, one more question:

Where does all the map data go? In the PDA I assume. I currently have a CompactFlash card in the Navman sleeve. But there's no CompactFlash card slot on the Ipaq itself. So would I also have to buy a minimum 128MB SD card?

A lot to buy.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Peter,

Yes you can have both PDA and Emtac charging at the same time. PC-Mobile have a splitter cable which can power both units at the same time. You will need to ensure that your car charger has enough output as some vary. Though you could just buy a second charger.

There is no mount included with either the PDA or the emtac, so you will need to find one to suit your requirements. I find the Brodit mounts excellent, but I have also used Arkon and Dashmount solutions.

The performance from the devices is roughly the same, but you should look at the battery life if you intend to use it out of the car. The Emtac lasts 6-8 hours, TT claims about 5 and I havent seen NavMan figures yet. The Fortuna GPSmart uses normal AAA batteries.

The map data does indeed need to go on a SD or CF card, as you would not be using the NavMan the SD would be the obvious choice. I picked up a 256MB from valueflash.co.uk the other day for about £75 delivered.
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: