Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Potential problems with iPAQ, SD, TTNav2?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential problems with iPAQ, SD, TTNav2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Potential problems with iPAQ, SD, TTNav2? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently bought a new iPAQ 3970 and a 256MB SD card (badged as Lexar media) primarily for the use of SatNav. I have been told that my copy of TTNav2 should arrive tomorrow from “Global Positioning Systems”.

I’ve only had the iPAQ for a few days and I’m still getting used to it (I'm still very much a newbie). I have seen some posts on PocketGPS that indicate that there is a potential problem with iPAQs and SD cards because of “ROM bios” upgrades.

What I’d like to ask is:

1. How do I determine what version of ROM bios my iPAQ currently has?

2. Which version of ROM bios causes the problem?

3. Are there any other problems that I might encounter with my set-up, and how do I fix them?

Thanks in advance

Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Potential problems with iPAQ, SD, TTNav2? Reply with quote

1. If you press the soft reset button in, you'll see a red/white Compaq screen and the BIOS revision number will be on the bottom right.

2. 2.something I believe, although I'm not entirely sure. Others who have had problems may want to chip in here and say which versions they've had issues with.

3. The setup sounds good to me, there's nothing that sticks out at the moment.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My iPAQ's BIOS revision number is 2.10

Looking at the HP web site for drivers and software, BIOS 2.10 is the latest (as of 16 Jan 2003). The previous version was 2.00 (as of 22 Jun 2002).

Could anybody tell me if this will cause me problems which might mean loading the older BIOS 2.00? Or is this dangerous? I don't really want to mess with or down grade the BIOS unless I have to.

Or was it just the upgrade from BIOS 2.00 to 2.10 that caused a problem?

Thanks.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mccart1d
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I had an issue with the very slow response for the SD card when I upgraded from BIOS 2.00 to 2.10 on my 3970. TTNav2 would then take for ever to even start the town lookup pull down list let alone calculate a route. Even just copy files from memory to SD card was very slow compared to 2.00. I have a couple of SD cards from different manufactures, switching between the two made no difference. So I decided to take the backward step and downgrade back to 2.00.

That fixed the slow response issue and TTNav2 performs very well.

Regards
Mikorsa16v
Occasional Visitor

IMO, i think you should leave the BIOS version as it is for the moment, until you install Tom Tom, then test it, if any problems then you know what to do Smile

dont fix what isnt broken!

hope it works out for ya fella
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I received my TTNav2 today (Saturday 10 May 2003) Hooray!!!

We went out to see what it could do and when we tried to navigate to “Address” or “Favourite” the iPAQ froze. I had to do a soft reboot. However, I was able to navigate to a “Recent location” and that was my first experience of SatNav.

After a while the iPAQ suffered the following errors:

1. Internal application error: Out of memory

2. General Exception: Out of memory

I checked this forum and on this thread

“johnmar” suggested deleting the “NavigatorSettings.cfg” file from the directory containing the map data. I did that and TTNav2 is not only working again now, but it is also allowing me to navigate by “Address” or “Favourite for the time being.

As a precaution, I have downloaded the previous version of the ROM BIOS (2.00), which I may load onto the PPC if I get many more problems.

Could anybody tell me if they have bought an iPAQ 3970 that came with ROM BIOS 2.10, which they have then had to downgrade to 2.00 because of the SD card accessing issues?

Thanks
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Great. I've made John's thread available at the top of the forum for future use as it seems like quite a few people seem to be hitting this problem now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: