Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PNA-3002 and ActiveSync
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PNA-3002 and ActiveSync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: PNA-3002 and ActiveSync Reply with quote

Help!! Have just purchased a Transonic PNA-3002 running NAVIGON 4 software from MAKRO. Everything is working fine, except I can't communicate with the unit from my PC. I have installed Microsoft ActiveSync from the bundled CD Rom, but all I can get from my PC is a message saying an unidentified USB device has been connected. I have even tried downloading ActiveSync from Microsoft's website, but still no joy. Any ideas anyone?

Bry.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have plugged the device in before installing ActiveSync.

Unplug the device, remove ActiveSyncreboot the PC, reinstall ActiveSync, and only then plug the device back in.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for the advice, but I need a bit more help to delete the version of ActiveSync I have installed.

I went to "Control Panel" and opened "Add or Remove Programs" but couldn't find it in there. I clicked "Start" then "All Programs" but couldn't find it there. I opened "Windows Explorer" and in the "Program Files" folder I found a folder called "Microsoft ActiveSync", which had 3 files in it, MSCONV97.DLL, MSWRD832.CNV and RICHINK.DLL

I deleted the folder and the files, as you suggested, then re-installed ActiveSync from the CD and re-connected thePNA. Still nothing, except I could not now open Microsoft Word. I checked in "Windows Explorer" and the folder and files I had deleted had not been replaced by re-installing ActiveSync, so I have to assume that I deleted the wrong files. I restored the folder and files I had deleted and Microsoft Word was working again.

Do you know where the files I should be deleting will be on my hard drive, because without this information I am stuck?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I don't know what to try next. I know I can remove the memory card from the device and put it in my card reader to change the maps, but I wanted to access the device direct.

Thanks for your info, so far,

Bry
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see the device listed in the device manager when it is plugged in?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I plug the device in, a "?" icon appears in Device Manager signed as "USB Device". When I click on this item to get its properties, I get the following information:-

Device Status
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver

Device InstanceId
USB\VID_045E&PID_043E\6&20DCA954&0&1

Hardware Ids
USB\Vid_045e&Pid_043e&Rev_0000
USB\Vid_045e&Pid_043e

Compatible Ids
USB\Class_ff&SubClass_ff&Prot_ff
USB\Class_ff&SubClass_ff
USB\Class_ff

Enumerator
USB

Capabilities
CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE

Devnode Flags
DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLED
DN_REMOVABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Config Flags
CONFIGFLAG_FAILEDINSTALL

Current Power State
D3

Power Capabilities
PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D3_SUPPORTED

Power State Mapping
S0-> D0
S1-> D3
S2-> D3
S3-> D3
S4-> D3
S5-> D3

Does this mean anything to you?

Regards,

Bry
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove (uninstall) this device, then unplug it and re-install Active Sync again, Maybe this time it'll work.

Are you using ActiveSync 3.8?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can physically remove the device, by unplugging it, but as my PC tells me there are no drivers installed and the software that installs ActiveSync does not tell me which directory it is installed to I can't delete the program from my hard drive, if its there in the first place. I have done a search for files containing "activesync" and found over 200 files all in the following directory on my hard drive :-

C:\Documents and settings\Bry\Local Settings\Temp

It looks like every time I have tried to install ActiveSync the files have ended up in this directory. It appears to me that the installation program is unzipping the files into this temporary folder, but not doing anything else with them. Shouldn't files from this type of directory be automatically deleted once a program has been installed or the PC is turned off?

Should I delete all these files and then try to reinstall ActiveSync?

Some of the temp files turn out to be readme.doc files which when opened tell me that the version number for ActiveSync is 3.7. I can't find an indication of the version number anywhere else. I have supposedly downloaded version 3.8 from the internet, but this doesn't work either, it would appear that the files end up in the same temp directory as 3.7 which I am trying to install from the CDRom

Am I making sense, or is my ignorance of how computers work causing me to jump to the wrong conclusions?

Bry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: