Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which iPAQ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which iPAQ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingFCUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Which iPAQ? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Im looking to get an iPAQ which (amonst other things) I will use for in car navigation. The TomTom software looks pretty good so I think I will go for that.

However, I dont know which iPAQ to get. Looking around eBay the 3600 and 3800 series seem to differ by around £100. The main difference so far as I can see is the memory. 3600 with 16meg and 3800 with 32meg. Is having 16meg going to cause me problems? I presume you can only put on a section of the map data at a time to use?

I intend to connect the iPAQ to my Garmin III GPS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Phil

(if you like you can email or MSN Messenger me at " pilot_phil@msn.com")
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Which iPAQ? Reply with quote

From a memory perspective go with a 64mb model, the 3850/70 or 3950/70 or even the 5450. The /70 designation eg 3870 denotes Bluetooth wireless, so you can add a wireless GPS receiver to it or a wireless GSM phone and the two will talk together.

With any setup you will need a storage card, 128mb will suffice in most cases and get you a full country map on most products. Connecting the Garmin III will be fine, and you can purchase a Garmin to Pocket PC cable from PC-Mobile.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

The 3630 and 3830 models were 32Mb, the 3850 and all later models were a minimum of 64Mb. Storage card media is relatively cheap though. I still use a pair of 3630's and they run TTNav2 fine although there is little room for much else aside from a few utilities.

If you are thinking of buying on eBay avoid the 36xx models, they had a number of issues including a problem with the screen failing, if it happened just after you'd bought off eBay you are looking at a £200+ charge for the repair!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: