Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GB Map Errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GB Map Errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipstick wrote:
If you want to get one over on Tom Tom why not send me the Great_Britain.Postal file.

Best Wishes

Keith@simpson55.wanadoo.co.uk

The sign behind the counter says "Please don't ask, as refusal often offends".
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
The sign behind the counter says "Please don't ask, as refusal often offends".

The thing which offends most people here is TT's indication that v5 would include full postcode search facilities whereas, in reality, you only get it by buying the map upgrade (which, by all accounts, contains little else of value).

It comes as no surprise to me to find that people are seeking ways to circumvent what they believe to be unreasonable behaviour on the part of TT. There are times when legality and morality do not coincide.

Since it is inevitable that the so-called "postcode file" will eventually get into the public domain, TT would do well to earn a few Brownie points and redeem the situation by making the file freely available to exising TTG owners.

Roger
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I don't know how Tomtom worded their adverts regarding the availability of the Full Postcode search facilities, so I will have to take your word for what they 'indicated'.

This does not detract from the fact that supplying the file to people who haven't paid for it, and making use of such a file, is piracy.

Just because the file may find its way into the public domain doesn't make it OK for this site to become a source of information on how to make illegal use of it.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Just because the file may find its way into the public domain doesn't make it OK for this site to become a source of information on how to make illegal use of it.

I agree.

What I was suggesting at the end of my previous post is that it would be in TT's best interests if they were to bow to the inevitable and do the 'decent thing'.

They already have a lot of disruntled customers who feel they have been misled. TT could fix this by making the postcode file available without having to buy the updated map - maybe even for a small fee rather than free.

The longer they delay doing this, the more unhappy customers they will have - including those who have, by then, (needlessly) forked out for the update as being the only legal way to get full postcode navigation.

Roger
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
guys due to the way ditgital maps are produced and the fact that the errors may need to visually check by a surveying team all of which takes time. it can upto 2 years for map errors and new roads to be included in new maps this is nothing to do with tomtom and they have no control over how quick errors are fixed this in tomtoms case would be down to teleatlas i would suggest that any errors are sent to them and they should be fixed it time

Yes it does take time BUT new roads are planned 5 - 10 years in advance so they map makers should prepare themselves for what is coming.
A new road is NOT a surprise!
The map producers show make a point of getting it survied A.S.A.P.
The new A120 from Braintree to M11/Stansted has been open for a 12 - 18 months, but it's not on the latest map.

From where I live this is a major omission because TTG keeps directing me around the A12/M25.

I also think the software is too biased towards FASTEST when what is wanted is QUICKEST. If I plan a route into London it always selects A12/M25/M11 instead of just sticking to the A12 Eastern Avenue.
The extra mileage going round two sides of a triangle may be faster speeds but not quicker journey. But that's another thread....
feenix
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been in touch with TOM TOM. The reason? Map errors.
Now I purchased the new maps, expecting there to still be a lot of errors. As it says in other posts here, it takes years to get data updated, I understand and expect that. I also understand that a lot of people can't even see any changes.
I have spotted loads of changes!
My house, aged 130 years, exists on the old maps but has now been deleted off the new maps, you'll be pleased to hear though that my neighbours are still there.
My office building, 120 years old, also gone, adjoining buildings are still standing though, the nukes must be following me alone.
Post code search shows my whole road has moved and is now called something else.
A recent trip to Sheffield on postcode route led to me being Half a mile from where I should have been in a total different area according to the post office code. At least Tele-Atlas won't need to pay for the use of postoffice codes, they are making up thier own codes.
I have spoken to TOM Tom regarding the erros, thier original idea was that I should Report the map errors to Tele-Atlas. This was unacceptable as I am not a customer of Tele-Atlas, I'm a customer of Tom Tom.
It will be interesting to see how it progresses from here.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make you wonder if we are dealing with Tomtom or Tomy?
afterall, the GO seems to little more use than a kids toy with the maps they supply.
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feenix wrote:

My house, aged 130 years, exists on the old maps but has now been deleted off the new maps, you'll be pleased to hear though that my neighbours are still there.

I have also discovered that I cannot navigate to the same places because TTG does not accept the house number any more.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i enter my post code it says the house number is wrong as well.
feenix
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, heres the update.
I spoke to Tom Tom customer support yesterday, explained my complaints to the lady on the phone.
She fired up her own unit and tried the addresses I gave her, and guess what? They didn't apear on her unit either.
She did try telling me that as the buildings next door were on the unit I should use those addresses to find my way. I explained on these three address that was the case but as I travel nationallly, this couldn't be guaranteed in all cases.
The Tom Tom Lady agreed and said she would try and get me a refund.
I have heard today that the refund has been authorised and as such I have no complaints.
jeffblockley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Tomtom today decided to refund me for my upgrade I complained to them that none of the errors have been sorted I live in Glasgow and I have found over 400 mistakes I bought the upgrade thinking everything we fine but it was Worse than before we now actually have one road that runs on top of the River Clyde how it floats I don't know. So if you ask for a refund they will give you one I think Tomtom is an excellent piece of equipment but it would-be even better if the maps where right.

Jeff
gratrade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffblockley wrote:
Good news Tomtom today decided to refund me for my upgrade I complained to them that none of the errors have been sorted I live in Glasgow and I have found over 400 mistakes I bought the upgrade thinking everything we fine but it was Worse than before we now actually have one road that runs on top of the River Clyde how it floats I don't know. So if you ask for a refund they will give you one I think Tomtom is an excellent piece of equipment but it would-be even better if the maps where right.

Jeff
I started this thread after delivery of my upgrade, I also live in Glasgow and none of the errors I reported have been rectified. I have now been offered a refund as well. Lets hope that tomtom will have learned from this fiasco and that future upgrades will be more accurate!
Stephen7372
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmail would enable the email no problem
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I complained through the TTG website several weeks ago but have so far been ignored.
feenix
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, have my refund now, thank you Tomtom. I just hope that when they release thier next set of maps some of the lessons have been learnt.
I don't mind paying for the update, but I do feel that it should be an update and not an inferior product.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: