Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch Their Own Safety Cam Downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch Their Own Safety Cam Downloads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: TomTom Launch Their Own Safety Cam Downloads Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/news/index.php

But apparently this will be a subscription service! Why would anyone pay for something that can already be downloaded for free????

Perhaps they should put an ad on ebay!
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Pocket GPS World downloads still be free?
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some may feel that a paid-for safetycam database should be kept more vigorously up to date, and that that is worth paying for. There are plenty of reports of the excellence of the Origin database, for example, even with cameras appearing in it while they are still being installed. How well the Tomtom database will be kept up to date remains to be seen.

Certainly a safetycam warning system can only be as good as its database.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how they deal with cameras on roads which their out-of-date maps don't know about!

Roger
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBoy59 wrote:

It was suggested that we charged €50 to be 50% cheaper then TomTom, but that goes against our philosophy, so the PocketGPSWorld database will remain as a free resource.

I wonder how many takers TomTom will get at €75?

By the way the database and voice files that TomTom provide through the Plus service are locked to a single device, and are encrypted.
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

€75 for the Tomtom safetycam database has to be too much. I pay £50pa for access to updates for my Origin B2, which is a dedicated GPS warning system of good reputation. And as rkm_hm points out, there has to be a problem when the road is missing from the map.

I see that Viamichelin is making available for their PDA navigation product a FREE download of POIs of the speed cameras in France (130 of them).
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
JohnBoy59 wrote:

It was suggested that we charged €50 to be 50% cheaper then TomTom, but that goes against our philosophy, so the PocketGPSWorld database will remain as a free resource.

By the way the database and voice files that TomTom provide through the Plus service are locked to a single device, and are encrypted.

Thanks for that reassurance, Mike. It's good to know not everybody is driven by greed Rolling Eyes
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 euros equate to about £51 as we speak
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Where did TT get the data from? and have the verified it or is it just an encrypted version of the Pocketgps one. At a price of £52.00 forget it.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What with this now being chargeable and the Map update issue with tomtom supposedly withdrawing the postcode search in the last update so they can sell us it back later!

What will they charge us for next? Fresh air?! 8O

I can now see why most of the users are a little peeved, and why tomtom has been given the name "money grabbing" in the last few posts i have read, regarding this and the new v5 update Confused
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I doubt that there will be many takers for TT safety cameras database. It's far too expensive and I doubt that they'll be able to keep it up to date so well that it justifies the price.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like DennyL, I also run a GPS detector although mine is a Morpheous Geodesy, which was one of the first GPS detectors. I’ve checked my records and as loyal customer, Morpheous rewards me with a discount. The last annual subscription that I paid was £35.25 (or €51.58 at today’s exchange rate).

BTW, the PocketGPSWorld camera database has long been my primary camera detection system as it gives me far more information. I run the Morpheous Geodesy as a "belt and braces" secondary system. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckman wrote:
What with this now being chargeable and the Map update issue with tomtom supposedly withdrawing the postcode search in the last update so they can sell us it back later!

What will they charge us for next? Fresh air?! 8O

I can now see why most of the users are a little peeved, and why tomtom has been given the name "money grabbing" in the last few posts i have read, regarding this and the new v5 update Confused
Putting this into perspective a little.

TomTom never had full postcodes in any previous version. To the best of my knowledge this enhancement required the new maps to work properly, therefore they had no alternative but to charge the upgrade fee.

TomTom have given their latest Version 5 software application upgrade to all users with compatible maps. What other company does that?

The map upgrade is reasonably priced. Other companies will typically knock £10-£20 off the retail price for an upgrade.

TomTom are now adding value to their products, by selling add-ons. These obviously need to be funded in some way. Surely the best way of achieving this is charging for the use of the add-on. If people dont want to pay for it or just dont want it then that is fine just dont buy it.

The Plus services could be a way for 3rd party developers to get access to the TomTom userbase in a manner which saves them the marketing cost, whilst sharing revenue with TomTom.

I dont want to be seen defending TomTom here, but we must all consider their point of view as well. It is all very easy to critisise a company when they do not have a voice to respond.

TomTom have grown massively over the last couple of years, and have tried to give their userbase what they have been asking for. In some cases this has worked well, in others it hasnt. Having said that TomTom are a commercial company, they have vast overheads including R&D which give us these new and exciting products.

If people think that TomTom are "money grabbing" then they are perfectly welcome to go to another Nav System provider where they will be met with similar issues.
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, the PocketGPSWorld camera database has long been my primary camera detection system as it gives me far more information. I run the Morpheous Geodesy as a "belt and braces" secondary system.

That's interesting, Privateer. You are in a position to compare directly the Morpheous speed camera database with the PocketGPS one. It seems from what you are said that, in your area at least, they are of comparable quality. Can you confirm that? How about temporary 'fixed' cameras in roadworks?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but it's a really interesting point.
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is all very easy to critisise a company when they do not have a voice to respond.

Thats rubbish! Why can't they COMMUNICATE via this or one of the many other forums or indeed their own website?

I feel ripped off to say the least

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: