Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which is best for me. 500 or 700?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which is best for me. 500 or 700?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: which is best for me. 500 or 700? Reply with quote

OK so I really want the handsfree phone option. That means that I must get either the 500 or 700. OK, so far, so good.
Now I really don't care about a remote control. (what the hell use is a remote control in a car???) But I do plan to travel very occasionally through Europe so I need the street level maps of Europe.
Score 1 for the 700.
But 99% of the time I will be travelling in the UK.
Score 1 for the 500.
I guess basically that I need to get the 500 with full maps of Europe (Is this even possible) or the 700. Does anyone know if it will be more to get the 500 and buy additional maps, or just get the 700? I already have additional SD cards, so they would not be an extra cost. The other thing I'm a tad concerened about is calculation speeds of both units. If I'm mostly travelling in the UK do you think that it will take the 700 more time to calculate (and re-calculate) routes considering it has to work its way through data for the whole of Europe? I know it has a faster processor, but I'm still concerened that on a comparison test (routing only in the UK) that it will be slower than the 500?

Anyone know?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you say I would go for the 500 and buy the MWE (Maps of Western europe) Mapset. You can then change maps by swapping the SD cards.

Should you wish to, you can always buy the remote as an accessory anyway.
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but if I buy the maps of Europe will they come like the ones I have for my current tomtom navigator 3? ie in countries, because I had to plot from country to country which was akward, whereas Im guessing that with the 700 I could plan from UK to Italy (for example) at street level all in one go which is a function that I would like. Also if buying the 500 and the maps comes to the same money as just buying the 700 wouldn't I be better off buying the 700?

Cheers
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will come in countries, but with the major roads of the rest of Europe included. This will have the advantage of getting you to your destination country on the main roads whilst having full detail for you destination.

The 700 will have fully connected maps of Europe to street level.

Now we havent managed to get our hands on either a 500 or a 700 yet, but the implications of having all the Europe roads could be longer planning and re-routing times.

Roll on the end of May when hopefully we will be able to test them.
MikeDJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same dilemma. My original thought was to go for the 700, on the basis that it has the best specification - so I get some degree of future proofing against the ever increasing demands of new software versions.

Also, the price comparision with the 500 is compelling, i.e. only £80 more, whereas buying the 500 and adding even one detailed map (France probably), plus larger SD card will easily eat up that price difference, and the remote control would be more again (not sure it would be useful though).

HOWEVER, I take the point about response time for route planning and re-routing. I certainly don't want delays in these functions (it is a GO after all !) so do you suppose that after backing up the entire hard disk, I could remove detailed map data for regions I am not interested in, thus improving the search times. In the event I needed such data in the future, I could simple restore it - or is the map data truly seamless, i.e. you cannot remove bits of it selectively ?

Anyone any ideas Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Go 700 has more on-board memory, presumably provided to improve the route calculation times.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeDJ wrote:
HOWEVER, I take the point about response time for route planning and re-routing. I certainly don't want delays in these functions (it is a GO after all !) so do you suppose that after backing up the entire hard disk, I could remove detailed map data for regions I am not interested in, thus improving the search times. In the event I needed such data in the future, I could simple restore it - or is the map data truly seamless, i.e. you cannot remove bits of it selectively ?

The comments I made earlier about longer planning times were purely speculative, based on my observations on a PDA. The TomTom GO 700 may not have preformance issues or TomTom could improve things dramatically before the launch.

As far as the mapping goes we are not sure how they will implement this with the 300 the maps are only on the SD not the CD. Hopefully the maps will be on a CD, however this is not likely as multiple CDs would be required for the full map of Western Europe let alone the all the combinations of Plus maps.

Essentially we will just have wait and see when it get released.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: