Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Leadtek Accessory Plug Wiring
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Leadtek Accessory Plug Wiring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Leadtek Accessory Plug Wiring Reply with quote

PC mobile,

Perhaps a market for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

My experience:-

With a normal car accessory plug for Leadtek antenna:-

4 batts,(NimH) i.e.4.8v actually ONLY feeds the antenna and the PDA has to rely on its internal battery ( 3850) provides ca. 2.5 hrs.with the PDA run down at the end.

With 8 batts, 9.6v, feeds BOTH antenna and PDA for about 4hrs.( leaving the PDA at full charge)

I am NOT an electronic expert and do not understand the power losses etc.of the voltage reducer incorporated in a standard 12v accessory lead for Leadtek 9531.

I am sure that thers is a market for the most efficient power pack to drive both the antenna and the PDA for portable applications. (Hiking, flying etc.)

Any specific ideas would be appreciated.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Leadtek Accessory Plug Wiring Reply with quote

Christ! 8 hours! That's pretty darn good!
PeterB
Regular Visitor

I now have a battery pack for Leadtek 9531/ Ipaq 3850 combination which gives about 8 (EIGHT) hour useage.

The layout is similar to that descibed above and in the recent battery article BUT used 8 rechargeable AA size NiMH batteries each with 1600mAh capacity.

These are wired as TWO sets of 4 batteries in parallel, i.e.giving an output of 4.8 volts as a DIRECT feed to the adapted Y feed wire/ socket.

Suitably for flying, sailing, hiking etc. and fairly compact and light.

Probably as electrically efficient as practical for this type of application
theendisnye
Regular Visitor

This article may help http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/Casio/DennisWolfe/BatteryExtender/BatteryExtender.htm

I have made up a battery pack using 4*AA NiMh to power the IPAQ with no regulating diode. and I got a plug that fits the IPAQ from Maplin - the only issue with the plug was that it has a 90 degree angle so it can be prone to being knocked out. It seems to work enough to charge the IPAQ ok.

I also have a workshop power pack from Woolies that pushes out 12V via a cigar lighter socket a larger and heavier solution which I tend to use on planes - I can use it to either power my daughter's Gameboy, or my IPAQ or my wife's MP3 player.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Prototype now completed:-

Battery pack of 4xAA NiMH (4.8Volts) connected via in-line 2.5mm connectors to PBA/Leadtek antenna has provided a promising 4 hours of running. ( Compared with only 2.5hrs via Car accessory socket.)

It certainly shows tha power loss.

Now preparing mark II
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That sounds good. I must confess I tend to usually connect things together and see if they blow or not. That's probably why when I built my first PC back in 1992 it chucked me across the other side of the room and blew the fuses because I forgot to unplug the PSU from the mains and cross the positive and negative terminals to the switch!    It gives you quite a shock!
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Leadtek cable ;------- continued.

The yellow and red leads ARE connected - somewhere.

The measured resistance, tested at Y connector is zero.

I can only assume that the feed from plug/voltage reducer is a standard lead and can cope with different voltages for PDA and antenna.

I feel safe in connecting red/yellow in the in line connectors and for a 5v battery feed.

Any comments welcome.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PC-Mobile, Dave and others:-

I am attempting to assemble a DIRECT battery lead to feed a standard Leadtek/ Ipaq 5 volts requirement for Aviation/ Hiking etc.

I understand that by-passing the Cigar plug should be MUCH more electrically efficient (i.e. not via a voltage reducer)and result in enhancved battery life.

I have 2.5mm in line plug and sockets ready.

BUT HAVE FOUND THAT THERE ARE IN FACT (3) THREE LEADS FROM CIG. PLUG TO 'Y' CONNECTOR.

black(GND), yellow(FR) and red (JCC), with 5.18v between GND and FR or GND and JCC when plug is live on 12v supply.

It is not easy to break open the plug/ voltage reducer without causing damage.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE CIRCUITRY?????

Would I be OK connecting yellow and black????

HELP URGENTLY REQUIRED!!!!!!

The same problem will be encountered in supplyinjg 5v from batteries as a portable feed!!

( by the way it seems strange that we are discussing this subject in a TTN2 forum!!!!!!)

Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by SJTaylor on 24 April 2003

You will get a fair amount of energy loss using a cigar lighter adaptor. For instance, that used by Socket for the BT GPS uses a LM2576-5 Voltage Regulator (designed to give 5V at 3A) which has an efficiency of about 75%. I'm not sure if that includes energy loss from other components on the PCB or not.

However, this device will quite happily churn out 5V +/- 4% with an unregulated input voltage of between 7 and 40V so the type and number of batteries used is irrelevant as long as the output from them is between these values. If you want to extend your pack lifetime you can always place more batteries in parallel.

Smile

Good point, which I missed.

Yes it should work with as low as 7-8v. (there should be indication of input voltage on the cigar adapter which could be 8-24v)

The cigar lighter adapter should have a 5v regulator which should work with input of 2v more than it is supposed to regulate to.

So 6-8 rechargeable batteries should still work. It is not ideal but it will work.
SJTaylor
Occasional Visitor

You will get a fair amount of energy loss using a cigar lighter adaptor. For instance, that used by Socket for the BT GPS uses a LM2576-5 Voltage Regulator (designed to give 5V at 3A) which has an efficiency of about 75%. I'm not sure if that includes energy loss from other components on the PCB or not.

However, this device will quite happily churn out 5V +/- 4% with an unregulated input voltage of between 7 and 40V so the type and number of batteries used is irrelevant as long as the output from them is between these values. If you want to extend your pack lifetime you can always place more batteries in parallel.

This information applies to the cigar lighter adaptor mentioned only as I don't know what ICs are used in other adaptors. Please still check the output from the device with a multimeter before connecting to any equipment if using above 12V, to be on the safe side. Smile
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Actually I made such suggest to Dave some time ago when asked about preparing something for the summit.

Using 8 batteries (total 12v) to power through the cigar lighter is normal thinking.

Primarily, it is the size of the package that I did not think ideal if there were alternatives.

The cigar light must be a 12v>5v regulator. There is bound to be power loss (waste) through regulator. It is not an issue if powering from car. If you are using batteries, you want to save as much as you can (you need 10 x rechargeable bateries to get it up to 12v)

I have not tried it myself (you know what? I have never physically seen a mouse GPS with cigar lighter lead !) but I am quite sure one set of 4 AA rechargeable batteries should last at least 5-6 hours (GPS and PDA)

The polarity should not be difficult to find out. Cut off the cigar lighter and measure it by inserting it into the cigar socket. Cutting it off does not mean that it is wasted. As I suggested earlier, you can solder plug and socket to each end and you can use it again.

2.5mm (or 3.5mm) audio plug/socket can be used (use a mono one) but a DC one is better. But it may be difficult to find DC socket though there are plenty of plugs.

But then if you are preparing something for others to use, Peter's original idea is probably the only solution.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Dave,

8xAA, NiMH 1600mAh will power both PDA and antenna for about 4 hours, i.e. leaving the PDA fully charged.

I have looked at the Maplin connectors, there are several solutions, and I will probably take a chance with an in-line 2.5mm plug/socket.

I am a bit worried about 'polarity' though.

With this solution, using 2 sockets, I could get by with 1 lead.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'd be interested in hearing how the 8xAA's work, whether it's sufficient enough to charge for around 3-5 hours, or whether 10 would be required for this.

I suppose actually what Ronald is suggesting isn't too dramatic, the leads come in at £20, so a spare can be ordered at anytime. From my perspective I'm thinking if people can use an albeit larger accessory socket/charger setup then they might be prepared to use that rather than pay another £20 + battery packs, seeing that the battery packs (minus batteries), come out at only a couple of pound.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Dave,

In preparation for the 'Summit' meeting, and for anyone who may need the data, I have now made up a variety of battery packs and am in the middle of testing battery life.

So far have tried:-

4x

4x long format

8x

10x

I am now using 10x, i.e.12v sytem for longer flights with a 5hr plus run, charging antenna and PDA.

Let me know if you want a draft article!

I'm not sure that I want to cut one of my precious leads at the moment!!!!!!!
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PC Mobile.

Thanks for comments.

Could you advise on 2 points please???

What about polarity?? I presume that the PDA and antenna are diode protected BUT is it just a matter of trial and error to get the +ve/ -ve right?

Would you think that much/ any power is lost via the in-plug voltage reduction circuit???

Normally users will want to use the in-car adapter for car-nav systems and then transfer to the portable application. i.e. a compact, twin, pole specific connector would be required. I will browse the Maplin catalogue.

As usual your comments are of help.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: