Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Camera warning with audio output
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Camera warning with audio output
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: GPS Camera warning with audio output Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking for a replacement for my ageing Geodesy (which has recently stopped beeping!) so am hoping for the advice of the forum to help me make something close to an informed decision.

I am looking for a GPS camera warning device that has an audio output jack. My car has a sat nav input on the stereo that I currently use for my PDA Tomtom but I want to also use this facility to interupt the radio with camera (accident blackspot Wink ) warnings etc. It also needs to have a good database of cameras, the Geodesy references one of the best so I have been rather spoiled (my PDA with GPS POI misses the occasional camera even though I have the latest databases).

I was looking at the Snooper SR6-Plus as it is the only device that I have found that may covers all my needs. However it is a little bulky for my tastes but as it is the only one so far that I have found with audio output jack I may have no choice.

So, if any of you guys can give me an alternative I would be most grateful.

Cheers, Boggie
SimonB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Origin B2 certainly has the best database. Don't believe it has an audio out though.

But saying that, the audio can be so loud - no matter how loud you have your stereo, you'll hear the Origin B2 over it! (I know, I do!)
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.

I thought the general view was that the Morpheous database was the best? At least in last year's survey it was, maybe things have changed since then.

However, database aside I really do need a unit with an audio output as the car I own comes with a powerful BOSE sound system and as the car is also very powerful (and I never completely grew out of the boy racer stage) I do tend to find myself playing loud music and driving reasonably quickly on the open road (only when it is safe to do so of course Wink ). Although these occasions ar fairly rare this is when I need accident blackspot warnings the most!

The BOSE system has a 'Sat Nav' input that when supplied with a 0VDC trigger dims the audio and mixes in the audio from the input. At the moment I use it for TT2 voice but I now want to use it for camera warnings too.

Anyone else out there know of any other GPS devices with an earphone / audio output?

Cheers, Boggie
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the PocketGPS camera database - your PDA is already wired in :o)

Seriously though, the Origin Alerts are *loud*. The frequency is quite piercing. If you mount it on your peripheral vision the flashing red LEDs will also trigger a recognition of the signal.

Worth trying one out if you can ...
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostAtSea wrote:
Yeah, the PocketGPS camera database - your PDA is already wired in :o)

Seriously though, the Origin Alerts are *loud*. The frequency is quite piercing. If you mount it on your peripheral vision the flashing red LEDs will also trigger a recognition of the signal.

Worth trying one out if you can ...

Hi, although much better than earlier versions, the Pocket GPS database still does not cover all the sites so I cannot rely on it.

I have a collegue who has the Origin in his RX8 and he has received a speeding ticket from a gatso. The reason? He had music playing loud and missed the audio warning. Like me he does not like to have his GPS unit on display to invite some theiving social retard to put a rock through his window to take it.

Whilst I know the Origin is a very competant device I really am only interested in finding a GPS unit with an audio output. That way I can fit the device out of site (ie not velcro'd onto the dash with messy wires eveywhere) and it will mute my stereo to give me warnings. Also being hidden away from site will save me the potential of hassle from the Police when laser / radar detectors become illegal. (Yes I know this does not affect pure GPS devices but I want to detect too).

Anyone able to advise on my original question please?
Thanks, Boggie
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, try this :

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/tr_30.htm

What do you think?
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, Interesting.
I spotted this one a while back but passed over it as I could find no reviews regarding database plus I couldn't find anywhere I could go and have a proper look at one. Have you seen on 'in the flesh' or know anyone with one? It has all the qualities I am looking for and is good value too.
Thanks, Boggie
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was hoping you might be the first!

Hence my sticking with the B2 :-)
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done some digging :

http://www.trip-express.com/TR-20_TR-30_User_Manual.pdf
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, well found. I was looking for a user manual but couldn't find one. I am going to email them with a few questions and will report back.
Boggie
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed them last night and got a reply straight away.

Probably not polite for me to simply cut and paste it here, but a precis would be that the product came out in February, so it's a little too new to have done the review rounds yet, there are only 2-3 retailers currently carrying stocks, and it is still be developed (quite rapidly).

I am very very tempted. Anyone want to buy a B2?
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their site even has a FORUM!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the Snooper's. Their database is dire. My S4 is in the box as it's a complete waste of space.

Best database I found was the Cyclops and Origin b2's. Talex is pretty good too but ours runs a close 2nd and is better than many of the other commercial offerings.
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Forget the Snooper's. Their database is dire. My S4 is in the box as it's a complete waste of space.

Best database I found was the Cyclops and Origin b2's. Talex is pretty good too but ours runs a close 2nd and is better than many of the other commercial offerings.

Cheers for the reply Darren,
That suprises me re the Snooper database as I have a friend that raves about how good it is. Maybe it is a case that now he has bought one he cannot admit it is a lemon! Well thats the SR6 out of contension then, back to the TR30.

The problem with the PocketGPS system isn't that it misses many cameras, it gives quite a few false alarms eg old camera sites etc. However for the price it cannot be beaten and we all greatly appreciate what you guys are doing - keep up the good work!
Thanks, Boggie
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to the pocketgps database, it does include some cameras the others miss.

In deepest darkest Wales the other month my PDA told me about a camera but the Origin B2 remained mute.

Guess you really need an array of the things, but can you imagine the noise!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: