Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Copilot Live 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Copilot Live 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Copilot Live 6 Reply with quote

Any idea when Copilot 6 will be released?

I'm about ready to upgrade from 4, but am concious that 5 has been around for a while now so it might be worth hanging on for 6.

Martin
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Copilot Live 6 Reply with quote

W90BHP wrote:
Any idea when Copilot 6 will be released?

CoPilot 5 is not working properly yet and in my opinion it's not "Fit for purpose" for use as a sat nav system. I would be pretty angry if ALK released CP6 without offering a free upgrade. Given the past performance of ALK, I don't think I would ever buy one of their products again.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone upgrade to CP5 - the bugs are well documented in this forum. You have been warned...
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - I have read the various comments and have decided that Copilot 5 doesn't offer me much more than my current version 4, so I will wait for the next major release.

Martin
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll agree with skippy. mine £100+ cd is gathering dust in the draw
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strange thing happened to me the other day...

Having changed my PDA, I had to reinstall Copilot 5 and reactivate it over the internet. Since then, every time I run the programme it starts by announcing the availability of Copilot 6 and inviting me to log onto the following address for details:

www.ALK.eu.com/cppc6

The address does not work (surprise?), but it is clear that ALK must intend to issue a new version very soon. I shall watch with interest and with concern, for several reasons.

First, as Skippy so rightly says, CP 5 still does not work properly.

Second, only a few weeks ago, ALK launched a new version in Australia (which it calls CP 5 Australia), and, according to users down there, it appears that it has the very same routing faults that we in the UK had previously been describing for more than six months. Does this mean that ALK propose selling CP 6 with the same faults as CP 5?

Third, Dave Burrows, now on the ALK staff and previously (?) of this forum, has invited users to report bugs in CP 5 (please see thread entitled Announcement: CoPilot Live Bug Reporting). However, he also says that routing algorithm faults will most likely have to be corrected “in the next major release”. He said this at about the same time as I received the announcement of CP 6. Therefore, I am bound to ask, which major release does he mean? CP 6, CP, CP 8 or…???? By the way, in this long-awaited, if surreptitious, admission that the algorithms need fixing, the only reason that Mr Burrows offers for the routing errors is that some issues
Quote:
will need to be passed back to NAVTEQ

For how long have Navteq been writing ALK's software, I wonder?

I would offer the following advice to ALK at this point. You would do well to understand the implications if you intend to issue a new EU/UK version of Copilot without eliminating the routing, waypoint and other errors. You would also therefore do well to delay any proposed launch and to work with those users who have gone to the trouble to try to help you produce a Copilot that lives up to your promises. As you well know, there are those who are waiting for your replies in vain, but who will still help, so far, if you will let them. Unfortunately, however, you appear only interested in those who are happy to behave as if the problems with your product did not exist. For example, you recruit Beta Testers, then cease communicating with them when they report errors on your software or call into question your unjustified claims about Copilot. In fact, one wonders if you ask them to be Beta Testers simply in the hope of buying them off?? All of this can only have the opposite effect of what you might hope if it continues for much longer.

If, contrary to the evidence, CP 6 has the answers, then I look forward to hearing details of the free upgrade that will no doubt be offered to Skippy, me and others.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous,

I'm only addressing this point, since I've never used Co-Pilot in anger.

PONDEROUS wrote:
For how long have Navteq been writing ALK's software, I wonder?

I am making an assumption here, so if I'm wrong then I apologise in advance.

With TeleAtlas data, the one-way streets, allowable turns from junctions, junction priorities, etc. are set by TeleAtlas. This is why I see the same errors in Navman and Tomtom data. These attributes are outwith the control of the data users. I am assuming that the same situation exists with NAVTEQ and if this is the case then certainly some issues will only be correctable by NAVTEQ.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tim Buxton, for your reply. Any issues that only Navteq can correct will, of course, need to be corrected by them

The point I was making, however, was that Dave Burrows's statement implies that Navteq's mapping errors excuse ALK's own failures, or that there are none of theirs of any significance. I refer, for example to the failure to remedy Copilot's miscalculation of Shortest and Quickest routes, or the continued problems with waypoints. These and many other problems with Copliot have nothing to do with the mapping issues that you mention.

Another matter that needs to be understood is that failures caused by a subcontractor (e.g. Navteq) does not excuse the marketing by the main contractor (ALK) of a product that is affected by those failures.

For ALK to make any progress, it needs to start listening and facing the facts.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
certainly some issues will only be correctable by NAVTEQ.

That is a fair comment - it is quite true that many Sat Nav routing problems are due to errors in the maps and can therefore only be fixed by the map provider (Navteq/TeleAtlas).

What Ponderous is saying is that this Navteq argument has been used to muddy the waters and try to suggest that it's not entirely CoPilot's fault.

Just to clarify things, we think that the CoPilot routing problems we have identified are not the fault of Navteq because they do not exist in other Navteq based products (specifically Garmin Mapsource and Mapopolis which I have tried)

All things considered, CoPilot could be a reasonably good product if they could sort out the routing problems, excessive memory usage and provide the traffic reporting that they promised about 8 months ago.

As for CoPilot6? IF they are considering releasing a new version which fixes all these bugs then they should call it 5.1 and give it to us for free. Calling it CoPilot 6 and charging money to upgrade to a version which is finally "Fit for purpose" would be a very dirty trick indeed. Evil or Very Mad
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add Autoroute to Skippy's list of applications that use Navteq maps but have none of Copilot's errors.

If, as Skippy rightly says, charging money to fix a seriously flawed programme would be a dirty trick, then what about the ethics of marketing another version of Copilot in the knowledge that the errors have not been fixed.

If that happens, then I cannot wait to read the reviews. I wonder if they will include Dave Burrows's now immortal words from his review of version 5:

Quote:
ALK really have out done themselves... !
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I was contacted by ALK yesterday concerning the ongoing problems with CP5.

They didn't have any immediate solution or upgrades to rectify any of my concerns.

Having read this thread, I asked the question about the proposed release of CP6, and was told that it is scheduled for mid September. I also commented that I hoped it would fix the many problems that are being experienced.

In reply, ALK asked if I would be willing to be a beta-tester for the forthcoming release to iron out any possible bugs before the actual release. I agreed to this.

I don't know if and when I may receive a beta version, which I would test in my local area. I may also be able to test any specific problems other have an issue with.

I'll let you know if this happens.

Baz
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like stuff V5 users here comes 6

So STUFF you ALK
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
I don't know if and when I may receive a beta version, which I would test in my local area. I may also be able to test any specific problems other have an issue with.

I'll let you know if this happens.

Except that you will have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement and the terms of the NDA will prohibit you from discussing it. Confused

Did they mention a free upgrade for disgruntled CP5 users? Twisted Evil
jdw7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they attempt to bring out 6 as a paid for upgrade without ever delivering live traffic on 5, I for one will sue their arses off. Thank you.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too excited, Bazzer. I too was asked to be a beta tester some months ago. Having spent many hours writing descriptions of the problems and making suggestions, but refusing to refrain from airing them on the forums, I have been cut off and cannot get a call returned or any emails answered.

Is it really as it appears? Are beta-tester offers made to those who persist in raising problems in the hope that they can be bought off? If that is not the case, then perhaps ALK would like to explain on this forum.

On the other hand, since I never did receive any beta software to test before or after airing further views on the forum, I now wonder under what circumstances - if any - those supposedly appointed as beta testers actually get to test anything at all.

Another possibility, I suppose, is that ALK have acquired the belief that the distorted view of CP 5 for so long promoted by their newly acquired member of staff Mr Burrows is actually real.

If none of these explanations holds good, then just how do ALK justify their conduct? Please reply, ALK, I am sure that prospective purchasers and existing ones alike will be interested in what you say.

By the way, I too was told September 2005 for CP 6 when, four days ago, I rang their Technical support, so watch this space!!!

I was also promised, the same day, that I would be rung back or emailed the next day with phone numbers for the beta tester list organiser and David Quin, the UK ALK Sales supremo - i.e. the one who has failed to answer so many emails. Of course, as I fully expected, I have heard nothing.

One further point: was there, as it appears, a period during which Mr Burows was dismissing forum users' criticisms of Copilot's products (and apparently throwing tantrums when his ponouncements were questioned) while holding himself and his colleagues out as independent, but while also eith under offer of his position with ALK or actually employed by them?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer the last part. There was no such period. As soon as "Mr. Burrows" got the ALK job offer he told the team and we agreed he should suspend his activity in the CoPilot forum - which he did.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: