Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Confusion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suths
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: TMC Confusion Reply with quote

I've been trying to dig out information from the threads here but i'm still befuddled!

Am I right in thinking that the only PDA nav software with TMC for the UK is Navigon? Alturion doesn't have TMC in the UK yet right?

TMC recievers/modules... I've searched and searched on google for info about this but so far the only recievers i've found are the NavigonGMBH one and a reciever on the Leadtek site, though I can't find a retailer for this reciever. Would someone be kind enough to list some reciever models and/or retailers who sell TMC+GPS recievers please?

If i've understood what i've read so far... If I have a PDA + Navigon s/w + a GPS/TMC reciever then I can get live traffic updates during my journey AND the nav software will route me round the traffic problems?

Sorry if these questions are basic but i'm having a real problem figuring out how this all works =)

Thanks
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with other receivers that might be available but I can confirm that the Navigon GPS and TMC unit monitors live Traffic and reroutes when required. I find it works well in that respect although as I have posted this week, I do find a problem with gaining and retaining messages.

Overall though the Navigon set up is great and has saved me loads of time on long journeys. I would recommend.
Suths
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dio, much appreciated.

Does anyone out there know what TMC recievers are available, and where they can be bought?

Thanks
loopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: TMC Navigon Reply with quote

Suths,

I purchased my TMC/GPS receiver direct from Navigon. They do have an english version of their website. Make sure that you purchase the GPS receiver and the additional TMC module and if required they do a bluetooth module.

They have upgraded the modular design since I purchased mine so I am unsure of the new cost!

As previously posted, I also suffer problems with locking and retaining the TMC service but this is mainly down to the radio reception available. I would seriously recommend buying the FM aerial adapter. The TMC module comes with a 0.5m flylead that can be stuck to the side of the windscreen but this didn't provide very good reception, hence the recommendation to buy the aerial adapter, which allows you to split your existing car aerial from the back of your ICE to the navigon module.

Hope this helps?
loopy
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loopy do you have any photo's of the unit as i have heard that they are larger than most GPS?
loopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: TMC Confusion Reply with quote

Steven,

I have emailed the pictures (3 of them directly to your email address). To give you an idea of size I have placed my mobile next to the module. I have photographed the unit with the modules removed and a picture of the rear of the unit.

Please excuse the quality as I have taken them at work using my mobile phone.

loopy
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks m8 got the email cheers for taking the time to take the photo's
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the main TMC/Nav units on the market currently?
huey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, at the start of the thread someone was commenting that it was only Navigon that was providing the RDS TMC. I can let everyone now that Destinator PN also provides the same within its software and it works using the same receiver that Navigon provides (assuming that you also have the optional TMC module).

However, in early tests I am not that impressed as it does not pop up the traffic warning messages in the same way as Navigon does.

I believe the manufacturer of the receivers is a German company called GNS .

Adam
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( sorry to jump in ) but I'm selling a GNS TMC mouse in the for sale area. Its a USB type but all you do is add the relvant adaptor.

Re who makes them - not sure but GNS certainly own the protocol rights and like to charge around £1500 for the SDK.

Terran
estocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNS can be found at.

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/
stirling141
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I may have some interesting news, I've just spoken to Tim Owen, business Development Manager for Trafficmaster Plc , early next year Trafficmaster will be launching a new service for TMC that will work with Mio and I guess other software, once this service is working it will also provide SPEED CAMERA locations aswell, this is a few months off the launch but is coming. :P Laughing

If any one has more info let me know
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirling141 wrote:
early next year Trafficmaster will be launching a new service for TMC that will work with Mio and I guess other software
If any one has more info let me know
I know that TM have signed an RDS-TMC deal with Navigon, which will mean any suitably equipped Navigon software (AND RDS-TMC hardware) will work for traffic.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Navigon will be charging a subscription for the TM updates..... expected really.

It will be interesting to see how much this is in comparison to the TT Trafic service - which leaves a lot to be desired.

Chris
Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that there was no subscription with TMC, that was the advatnage over the ITIS? system or the information on the TTplus?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: