Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disabled parking bays
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabled parking bays
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW (Moderator) has started compiling a list of these and already has them in paper format. I'm not sure how far through he got, I remember when the Team and Moderators met up last he said it was going to be an enormous job.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled parking bays Reply with quote

showmethewaytogohome wrote:
As a amputee, I have been searcing all forums in the hope of finding a download of positions of all Disabled Parking Bays within the London area. but alas, so far, no success.
I have spoken to various Councils if they can help, but all they can offer is the paper map version of the locations. Is there any one out there that knows if such a download is available.
As a beginner I have no idea how to creat my own download from the paper maps which has been supplied to me, but if there is anyone out there able to give me advice on how to achieve it I would be, as always, be very very grateful.

If all else fails, you can create POIs directly on TTG by bowsing the map, putting the cursor at each disabled parking location, and then creating a POI at the cursor position. But it's pretty fiddly and time consuming.

It's better, if you can, to create a POI (.ov2) file on a PC and then copy it to TTG. If you have a tabulated list of locations, which specifies either the grid reference or lat/long of each location, it's easy. If all you have is a paper map with the locations marked, it's not quite so easy.

My recommended approach would be to get hold of a copy of Autoroute and to create a pushpin at each POI location. [It's much easier to manipulate a map on a computer screen than on TTG's screen]. You can then export your pushpins and use one of the free ulility programs to convert your pushpin set into a POI file.

Roger
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushpin handling differs a bit between different versions of Autoroute, but for AR2002, it's like this:
Click on the pushpin symbol, and then click on the map in the required location. A pushpin will appear with a little text box saying "Untitled". Change this to a meaningful name. Then create all the others in the same way.
Then you need to go into the Data menu and create a new dataset, called Disabled_parking, or whatever. And then select all your pushpins and define them as belonging to this dataset.
Now, from the File menu, do a Save As . . which saves the whole map including your pushpin set as a .axe file. Define a name for it, and make sure you note where it has put it - the default probably being in "My Documents".

Then, using the POI Converter program - which you can download from http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/poiconverter.html - open up your .axe file and convert it to a TTG .ov2 file. Then connect your TTG to your PC using the USB lead, and copy the .ov2 file to the folder on your SD card which contains Great Britain maps.

The car park POIs will then be available on TTG. If you want then to show when you browse the map, you will have to go into POI Maintenance and enable them, and assign an icon to them.

HTH.
Roger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not just entering the data, but having the right to release it.

I've entered just over half of the old London Blue Badge map in POI format, but I don't have permission from ALG to release the data publicly. I figured I'd do this for my own use, as a disabled person who regularly has to drive in London, and if I ever finished it (time is very short for a task like this at the moment), I'd then ask for permission to release it publicly.

However, I can't think I'll get permission to release anything based on the old map. Last month the Association of London Government withdrew the old free of charge map (which you used to email for) and replaced it with an interactive web site www.parkingforbluebadges.com and a paper road atlas for £4.50 plus 60p P&P.

I have to say that the old free map had got rather out of date, though the new web site seems to have some of the old mistakes I remember as being in the map as well as some new ones. For example, there are three groups of Blue Badge bays on Exhibition Road, SW7 - one set outside the Science Museum, one set outside the back door to the Natural History Museum (the old Geological Museum entrance, which is the only level entrance) and one set outside the back entrance to the Victoria and Albert Museum. The web site shows just one set.

The Blue Badge bays in Queen Square, WC1 (outside the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, which I have to visit fairly regularly) are completely missing from the web site - though as that is in Camden outside the Green Badge area you can use most of the parking bays in Queen Square, be they residents, pay and display or designated Blue Badge.

If anyone has the time and inclination to contact PIE about licensing the data, or asking them to consider a POI format product, go ahead - but don't be surprised if you're knocked back, especially as there's no way to stop people copying the data once it's released. I just haven't the time for something like that at present, and if my very limited survey is correct, the new data may be worse than the old.

One curiosity is the inclusion of Luton Airport on the web site. I suspect PIE may be in the business of trying to collate parking information for the whole country.

Disabled toilets - there is the RADAR guide, but it's a copyrighted publication. As I believe RADAR use the funds from sale of the guide to support the National Key Scheme financially, I doubt that they would be willing to license the data for release in a non copy-protected format.

Personally, I think toilet POIs are a potential mistake - what happens if you go a long way out of your way to a toilet that turns out to be closed (I have come across some non-24 hour NKS toilets - there's one just off the Embankment in Bedford), vandalised or out of order. However, it's no fun being caught short (like many wheelies who are wheelies for neurological reasons, I do have bladder problems).

David
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have submitted a few Disabled parking places and have tried to stick to the Specific disabled spots(i.e.roadside bays) and marked as such in the submittal because the majority of car parks offer disabled parking anyway, I find it is realtively easy to submitt one or two everytime i visit this site but can only submit the ones in my locality or where i am aware of them, I do note that submissions seems to have stopped on these. I did find that some council website do show maps but are very limited.
reference copyright I cant see how anybody can copyright a roadside spot on a public highway or even a public car park, dismiss the thought.
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say that I hope that, when you get the POI's that you're actually able to park in the disabled spaces, because I absolutely hate inconsiderate people who park in disabled bays, generally in either 4x4s, BMW's (or both!) or boy racer type cars. Luckily, I'm not disabled, and I don't really know anyone who requires a disabled space, but when I see these selfish people park right in front of ASDA or elsewhere with a wheelchair sign, I feel like slashing their tyres!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, and it wasn't meant to elicit a discussion, I just feel for the poor chap who opened the thread who will obviously relate to what I'm talking about.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogers very detailed descriptions to create a new POI file in Auto route is great!

Just a reminder though, that you can also transfer your positions from a paper map directly into the PGPSW submissions map HERE
and they will get added to an existing category, or you can suggest a new category and sub-category name in the comments box.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect to roger, but surely the easyiest way would to insert the Poi via the pgpsw submission page using the map which gives the coordinates, and after placed,download and import straight into Autoroute, which also benefits everybody else, no converting or anything.

Reference the posters reference to Non Disabled Parkers in blue badge places, Havibg a disabled wife this problem is extremely frustrating particullarly at roadside blue badge bays when there is only one or two and there is also ordinary bays nearby and they are filled with non blue badge vehicles, They should and need to be fined.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
No disrespect to roger, but surely the easyiest way would to insert the Poi via the pgpsw submission page using the map which gives the coordinates, and after placed,download and import straight into Autoroute, which also benefits everybody else, no converting or anything.

You may be right, but I'm not sure that the pgpsw submission page existed in April 2005 when I explained how to do it using Autoroute.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Roger has clarified, we only introduced on line POI submissions a few months ago Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa, sorry Roger! Good excuse!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may be right, but I'm not sure that the pgpsw submission page existed in April 2005 when I explained how to do it using Autoroute.

Apologies Roger missed date. I responded because of notification, Just consider it as an update.

Point Darren, Maybe but .xml database existed way before the current version via PoiEdit and is still accessible and this is the basis of my posting
Madmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going off topic a little came across this site......might be handy?

http://www.gonmad.co.uk/satnav_poi.php

it lists disabled parking bays/radar toilets/shopmobility
may be a little out of date ? weird thing is nothing listed in liverpool where I live..i'm in the process of mapping around here & will add to POI soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Madmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ouch/200702/blue_badge_spaces_via Reply with quote

5 Feb 07, 11:07 AM - Blue Badge spaces via satellite
Posted by Vaughan
If you're a car driver with a blue badge and one of those fashionable satellite navigation devices sitting stop your dashboard, you may want to check out the Collaborative Satellite Navigation PoI file database. It's a map of the UK which needs YOU to let them know about disabled parking spaces throughout the country (you can select a different map to find the location of RADAR key toilets too). In time, as more sites are added, whenever you want to go anywhere you should be able to find out where the parking spaces are - though, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be empty when you get there.

The other cool feature of this service is that users of the TomTom satellite navigation system who also have internet access from their device can download updates of these databases whilst out on the road. All you need to do is to point your mobile browser at this
http://www.topfun.co.uk/satnav/gettomtom/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mikethetrike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: DISABLED BAYS Reply with quote

Hi there
being in a simular boat ie disabled, knowing where the orange badge bays are is realy a big help.
I got my list from the " POI-Handler" web site, there is a limited list but it will get you started.
Hope this helps.
All the best Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: