Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Teletype Wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Teletype Wishlist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Teletype Wishlist Reply with quote

Please post any new features you would like to see in Teletype here.

Last edited by Dave on Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
talez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct turn-by-turn voice prompts, currently many junctions on the highway were left out
    faster re-route. By the time it's down re-routing, I already missed the new turn
    better search function; If you spell out road, avenue, or blouvard, etc, you'll not get any search result.
    The ability to re-route from current position to a waypoint in the waypoint list. Lets say I have route ploted from A->B->C->D->E. I traveled from A to B then detoured in between B and C, I want to then go from the my current position to D and skipping C then continue to E without recreating the waypoints.
jmbillings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map drawing to be done in a buffer then put on the screen instantly- when in florence trying to find a road, the thing was being a bit slow drawing the map, and as soon as it finished, the screen cleared and it redrew again, even when not moving, so I couldnt actually see where I was! A reboot sped it up, but even then, the amount of time the completed map was on the screen was too short and too long spent redrawing. Would be nice if it drew the "next" map in a separate buffer, leaving the current view on screen, then just replaced it when done.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to add the ability to make minor corrections to the map when wrong. There is a road on the map that doesn't go through which now does and if I could only make it 20 feet longer my routing would be 85% better. It could be a very basic function with no ability to add waypoints, address, or anything, just a line you can drive on AND the computer will route across. You might have to tie in a function that allows the program to know what type of road it is. If it’s a highway extension and the program sees it as a surface road, it probably wouldn't use it often. Maybe it could take on the property of the road you are extending.
You need to add the ability to avoid a road and not just a point. Teletype insists I take HW 46 all the way to Fresno Ca from Paso Robles Ca. When I use avoid points and waypoints it will take me to my WP, go around the avoid point and put me back on 46 instead of taking 41. I have to add a very large number of WP and avoids to make it stay on the 41 and stay off the 46 after the city of Chalome. It is so insistent on putting me back on the original route its very frustrating
You also need more control over the routine engine. You need to add items such as prefer highways, prefer interstate, and prefer major roads. Purchase a copy of PocketMap Navigator by Space Machine and look at their slider bar system. It's great. This gives total control over your preferences! Many people dislike Destinator and TomTom because it favors highways and the other favors streets. With PMN, you can tell it what to favor.
And, here is a big one for you:
Additionally, you need to drop the fact that you must have a Teletype GPS CF receiver to use your map program. I will not purchase again from you since I have a new and better receiver and cannot use it. There are so many companies selling receivers and therefore people are forced to go with YOUR competitors namely TomTom (who just came to the US), Destinator 3, PocketMap Navigator, CoPilot, Routis, and the list goes on. Every copy of their program they sell is a customer you could have had. However since you force people to buy your receivers to use your software, you are loosing not only new customers, but you are also loosing repeating such as myself. I have just purchased PMN and D3 because I have a new CF receiver. What a shame. I'm sure your philosophy is to sell more CF receivers buy making your program only useable with your CF receiver, but I tell you you're loosing a lot of customers. TomTom, D3, and the others are selling like hotcakes.
And, since my next PDA will be VGA screen, I'd suggest adding VGA support.
On a personal note. I was disappointed in your routing engine. It provided poor routes. I have since purchased a Fortuna PocketXtrac CF GPS receiver for its ability to tack in-doors using SiRF Xtrac. I have since purchased Destinator 3 and PocketMap Navigator to replace your product. They are better, however mission a lot of the functions TeleType world navigator has. Yours is by far, the most flexible program. But, since I can't use the Fortuna CF gps, I won't be renewing my program with you unless your next update address this issues. I have heard your next version will be coming out before my subscription for updates runs out and I will try my Fortuna with it. Hopefully it works. I'm sure all the CEOs sit around and say business is good, but I wonder how good it really could be if you allowed 3rd party CF receiver to work. Just look at how many people on the Pocket GPS and GPS passion forum use your "TeleType" thread compared to D3 and Tom Tom. That's a lot of customers you missed out on.
Things I'd like seen continued on your next release:
Your POI database and extra POI CD (yellow pages) are great, don’t change. The breadcrumb trail is the best I've seen. Nice black line, excellent. Don't make your program snap to roads. Or, if you do make your program snap to roads, make sure you can turn it off. I, as well as others, use it for off road geocaching. This is difficult when the arrow never leaves the road when you are out walking near roads. Very annoying with other programs. Your zoom levels are also great for hiking. I'm sure it's not the primary reason to use Teletype, but with topo maps and the 100ft zoom, this is great for trail walking. PMN is only good down to 200ft and leave large widely spaced dots for a trail. Impossible to follow back your tracks. Please leave as is on yours.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search function with the 12M POI is really really long. Needs to be fixed.
Needs to support auto configuration of the GPS port.
When I start Pocket Map navigator, it automatically finds my BT receiver, nice.
With TType, it takes several steps.
Start TType, tools, gps status, COM pull down menu, port 8, open, select BT receiver from Bluetooth manager, close menus.
For PMN, start TType, select BT receiver from Bluetooth manager. Everything closes and opens automatically. The PMN program is very nice and easy to use.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More map contrast. Roads are difficult to see many times.

Map needs to move and your location needs to be stationary. Not the other way. TType has the vehicle move across the map and the map is stationary until you get to the top of the map, then the entire screen moves. This is a pain when you are following a road near the edge of the map and you cannot see off the edge of the map. I.e. if you are following a road, which is only 1 mm from the edge of the PDA screen, the map isn't moving, just your position following the road on the edge of the map which now you cannot see what is on the side of you since you only have 1mm of map showing on one side and 2 inches on the other.

The program often hangs up between screens and the refresh button is useless. I have to open and close menus twice or more sometimes to get the screen to work properly.

Road names are too thin and difficult to read from 2 feet away when the PDA is on the dash of the car. Need to use bigger font or bold letters.

POI needs to be fixed. It shows all or none. With 12 million, there are hundreds on any given street. Very nice, but very cluttered.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a function to display selected POIs as you travel. You can search for selected POIs and route to them. However, I'd like to select Mexican food and while I'm driving, if one should be within 5 miles, it shows not only it, but all mexican food places on the screen without having to route to it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: