Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - updates and issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

updates and issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: updates and issues Reply with quote

i recently got navigator 3 and it seems pretty good but every now and again i'll come to somwhere where it cant route to, or it'll tell me to turn right onto a motorway when theres no right turn etc. Basically it doesnt seem capable of identifying any new roads and also seems to have issues even with roads that have been there for a long time (tonight it told me to go right with the arrow and route going down a route thats 1 way and cars coming up it!? cant it identify 1 way streets? how old are the maps anyway? the motorway i travel to work on has a MASSIVE new motorway being built along it due to be completed next month after like 7 years of making it, but im sure it wont be in the map software which means its gonna navigate crazy routes making gps kinda pointless.

Noticed sometimes as im going a long a road the position im on realated to the map is way off the road but nearby whats up with that? i dont mean to gripe too much but it seems the mapping software has some issues especially where im at (scotland - motorway is the m77).

Another story i was with a friend navigating who happened to know the area, gps was gonna take me down a 1 way street which i would of went down if he hadnt been there! there wasnt any clear signs id of just took it. 1 way streets and making sure the maps are updated every couple of months should be a priority for the industry standard mapping software dont you think? not once yearly updates that i MIGHT get for free im still unsure on that matter
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our world. Neither will your map updates be free, nor will you see more frequent map updates any time soon.

Good for us - we never run out of topics this way... Sad

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
shadow101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does it not account for 1 way streets when creating a route?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does account for them - if the map data is correct. Feel free to report mapping errors to TeleAtlas - eventually they will be corrected. It just doesn't happen overnight,

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
shadow101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea well it seems to have a lot of issues in the glasgow area and if anyone here has ever tried navigating glasgow before they know what im talking about when i say its not easy! today i went to pick someone up at a train station (bridge street if you want to look at it) from irvine town centre. It didnt account for the fact you can no longer go off the sliproad on the motorway due to barrier that were placed there about say..5 months ago, but i eventually got there. So then i left and plotted a new route from bridge street station to coatbridge town centre. About 2 roads after moving it took me into a clear dead end and the thing is the dead end isnt a recent thing by the look of it, its been there years. Glasgow is hard place to navigate it requires good navigation software, software that is incomplete and assumes too much will just end up causing me to get lost more than i would without it in the first place. One of the reaons i got this was cause ive avoided going near Glasgow due to it being a difficult place to navigate around it seems getting it has made little difference. Dont really have much confidence it'll be changed much in the update
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have stated this many times - you are of course free to complain about map errors here, but it's not very productive. It would be more productive if you would report those findings to TomTom/TeleAtlas. (And then you are perfectly entitled to complain about how slow TeleAtlas is reacting).

You don't have to use navigation software if it doesn't help you.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
shadow101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i have sent emails to them with no replys im unsure if theyve even been looked at much less taken note of. Did just spend about £180 on navigator 3 with gps receiver not using the software would be abit crazy. Plus looks like im gonna have to spend more to update to navigator 5 even though i only just bought this, and who knows what updates will be in it...only info anyone has regarding maps is that there 'updated', but to what point and how accurately? Still amazing to find out that the industry standard expensive piece of software cant even navigate Glasgow at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: