Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MEDION MDPNA 100 Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MEDION MDPNA 100 Help Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi royaloak
try giving Medion a call to see if they will upgrade.

cheers Bob
royaloak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that bob ater the easter break
many thanks kev
paulp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I was toying with the idea of buying a MDPNA150 or Bluemedia basically because I like the look of the MobileNavigator 4.2 software.

My local Halfords now does the MDPNA100 for £349 with MN4.2 and TeleAtlas maps...

Is this a good buy I should I still opt for a 150 clone?? Question

Thanks in Advance

Paul
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi paulp
I have had both devices and have stuck with the PNA100. The Medion MDPNA150 is an exelent device but if you buy this be aware that at the moment you can not get european maps for it also you can not use pocket PC stuff with it as it is a differant OS. I don't know if Bluemedia come with European maps or not. The plus side of the PNA150 is in the detail of the mapping it includes most forest tracks and small lanes which is both a plus and a minus. A plus if you like walking or cycling forest tracks a minus if you go off route in a car as it will try to guide you up a forest or farm track to get you back on coarse. I know this as I suspect I do what most of us do when we get a GPS system which is try it in our local area which we know like the back of our hands and although all GPS systems will put you wrong at some point the 150 was trying to put me up tracks that I knew were either impassable or that I needed a forestry key or keepers key to open the gate I might add it only did this if I went off the route suggested by the unit i.e take a known short cut. The other plus with the PNA150 is battery life, it will last about twice the time if not more than the PNA100 not an issue if used in a car with a lighter adapter.
I can not comment on version 4 map material for PNA100 so will leave that to someone else on the forum as I have V3.2 with my one which is bassed on Navteq data it is very good and compared with autoroute it is far more detailed. I hope to get V4 this week and will give it a quick review and let you know if you have not all ready aquired an other unit.

cheers Bob
paulp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bob,

The main difference it would seem with the new release of PNA100 is that it now comes with TeleAtlas maps.....as apposed to Naveque (?)
So I'm not sure if the country tracks is still an issue

Paul
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paulp
I do know that the maps supplied with MDPNA 150 are TeleAtlas maps will look forward to seeing the new software when it arrives.

cheers Bob
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a PNA100 from Halfords on Newport Road in Cardiff on Thursday - delivered to the store only 2 days before.

Impressed as it had Version 4.4 on it. Not impressed that the so called GPS expert instore didn't know if it was 4.4 or earlier!! Can't really blame him as you can't tell until you start the unit up and search for product info.

Impressive piece of kit especially when teamed with POI Warner and the Speed Camera Database - well worth the cash.

I was very impressed on Friday when I was in France and the unit knocked 30 minutes of a journey I do regularly. I guess I'd gotten comfy with the route I was taking - it put me a completely different way and I did the journey in 15 mins rather than 45!!
paulp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Pontyslapper,

The guy in my Halfords didn't know jack either......

He was convinced that the PNA100 didn't come with street level mapping of Western Europe...just trunk roads......(I think their geared to selling you the Navman510 premium)

Luckily for me I was right.....

So far very empressed!!

There is one thing though that I have been trying to do all evening....
Is the a way using MapExport that you can merge different countries (CD Sets) together so that you can get door to door routing??

I need to drive from Essex to Southen Spain and therefore through France. I know the principles of "corridoors" and I can do the route in three maps each being no bigger than 20-30mb but I would like to have it all as one. Anyone have an idea or a place I can look??

Regards Paul
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paulp and Pontyslapper
pleased you went with the PNA100 Paul don't think you will be dissapointed. Pontyslapper pleased to hear that the PNA100 works fine in France as I am off on my holidays in June on my motorbike starting first couple of days in France, have 8 countries to go through so will be a good test for GPS.

cheers Bob
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had both mapsets on a 512MB SD card and swapped over to the French maps when the ferry was just getting into Caen.

Haven't used the software off the CD's yet apart from the French and BeNeLux maps which I dumped on a 512MB card along with the UK - left about 80MB or so free on the card.

This would be more than enough for the 69MB that Spain/Portugal Maps take up.

Don't be conned by Currys/Dixons (£50.99+) et al on the high street for your 512MB - on the net you can get them for around £30 delivered.

Does anyone know if a 1GB card will work in the PNA100 - I've a chance of one for just shy of fifty notes??
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked on all 5 CDs that were with mine for the Map Export software and I cannot for the life of me find it!!

Where the devil is it located?

Help, I'm on v.4.4
paulp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, good luck with your hols....

So far the device is a dream....done a couple of test runs.. and isn't POI Warner a gem. Never knew it could be so easy..
Also the medion shop seems to have all the accessories for it..including full mapping of USA and Canada

Ponyslapper, I haven't got them with me but the map export come on the CD thats for your "home" location...mines UK & Ireland. You get two excutables....a skin changer and the map export tool.

BTW Medion UK seem to think that you cannot stitch the maps together which if true is a shame..because that would make true door to door maping across boarders etc...
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate,

Just a quicky - did you get 5 CD's a blue one and 4 CD's with a couple at a ferry port on them??

I've looked and looked on all 5 CD's and I can't find it!
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Both
don't think you can stich maps on any except new tom tom 5 and that only allows to stich with base map of Europe but with Medion PNA100 I would love to be proved wrong. take a look at this link:-
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12917&highlight=medion+pna+100
2nd post down is a good little review of PNA100.

cheers Bob
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in contact with Medion support who claim that the Map Export software should be on the CD's I have - alas it is not.

Even the support techs don't have the most up to date software - which apparently I do!!

So I guess I am stuffed, no Map Export tool for me - I wonder what other stuff I'm missing??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: