Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ukpostcodes - end of the line
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ukpostcodes - end of the line
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: ukpostcodes - end of the line Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am afraid that I've just received some bad news regarding the ukpostcode database. I've been approached by Ordnance Survey's legal department who are claiming copyright breach in respect of the database that was used for ukpostcode.

I have been given the choice between removing the copyrighted data from my web site or facing legal action.

Clearly, taking on the Crown in a matter like this would be insane. So, regretfully, I've had to remove the software from my web site. I also have to remove any copies of the copyrighted data from my machine, so I am no longer able to offer any support for the program - even though the program is my copyright, of course without the data it is nothing.

My sincere thank you to all those who have supported this venture over the last year.

Yours regretfully

- Niels
ukpostcode
http://www.digitools.co.uk
Wizzo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamite,

That's bad news.
Thanks for the program anyway.
shame in you Ordnance Survey Evil or Very Mad

Wizzo
ABeeBeeSee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY bad news! Just what benefit is this decision supposed to confer?! Typical response from business to people who are simply trying to help like-minded users. GRRRRR!!!!
mjh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shame...can anyone help me in obtaining a copy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame the Post Office have to be so heavy handed. After all we as a group are only using the location details, the Post Office PAF supplies a lot more data including house numbers/names. This would be nice but is not essential.

Does this mean that if everybody supplied their own Post Code and location to a centre collector, and that collector collated all that information, they would be chased by the Big Money Legal Suits?

Most people are not using the information for gain. Even those who are can also achieve the same end, using the built in Nav tools. It just takes a little longer.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other point I meant to mention was - does the Ordanance Survey deal with Post Codes?

sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google search leads me to believe that the Royal Mail own the PAF data. Maybe it is something to do with position calculation. Did you ask the OS what parts were their copyright? If they can't tell you what parts are their copyright then I think they are trying it on.

Mike
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the case is that the post office own the post codes themselves, but the geographical data associated with them (i.e. latlong in this case) is owned by Ordnance Survey.

In any case, they've asked me to get in touch so I will try to arrange a licensing deal with them - I suspect the costs may be prohibitive but maybe they'll be willing to strike a deal.

I'll keep you all informed.

- Niels
ukpostcode
http://www.digitools.co.uk
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand them 'owning' the rights to the OS numbering, but surely the lat/long references are public domain. Or do they own the rights to this planet, we call it 'the world', theirs as well?

If the Post Office asks a large fee, no doubt OS will be even larger!! 'Crying or Very sad'

howardr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, I am DESPERATE to get a copy of this. I've purchased the postcode POI files from POISoft and my (oldish) PDA just collapses when trying to search. I really need an 'off-line' solution and ukpostcode looks just the job.

Does anyone have any web space where I can download a copy?

PM me if you're worried about copyright infringement.

Howard
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/main.asp?sitepages=Downloads for a copy - sod the OS
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you'd better be quick because OS read these forums and will doubtless be acting to remove that link as well Sad
howardr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Legally, I'm sure it's only the DATA that's copyright, so longer-term it should be OK to make an 'empty' version of the application available that people can populate as they see fit.

How did this data find its way into the public domain anyway if it's subject to OS copyright?
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the moment I installed Digitools' "ukpostcode" software on my pda, I really have found it to be my favourite add-on for TomTom. Superb program which I've had great mileage from - thanks.

Copyright issues can be highly complicated. Given the way Digitools has never charged anyone for the software (freeware and shareware), I can understand your decision to withdraw ukpostcodes from distribution on the digitools website, after being you were contacted by Ordnance Survey and made aware about possible copyright infringements. At the same time I can understand Ordnance Survey's position.

On a scale of things, any possible copyright infringement with the software can't compare with the long-running copyright dispute OS had with the AA (Centrica).

The AA (owned by Centrica) settled with Ordnance Survey before the case reached court. OS had determined the AA, for a number of years, had been using a proportion of OS maps as the source material to create their own AA branded maps - without paying the OS a licensing fee. In 2001 Centrica agreed to pay £20 million pounds to settle the copyright infringement with Ordnance Survey .

GuardianOnline- Copying maps costs AA £20m

Quote:
Ordnance Survey has a small team of copyright experts who are charged with scrutinising rival publications. The government agency has won several smaller cases in the past. In 1995, it won damages from two Norfolk publishers of tourist maps, Streetwise and Color Maps International. However, a spokesman said: "There's never been anything in any shape or form of anything like this magnitude."

Ordnance Survey typically charges map-making organisations a few pence for each copy of any map printed using its information as source material. This can mean substantial bills for large publishers - the AA printed more than 300m copies of the maps and atlases in dispute.

Companies which do not make money from publishing maps, but which want to use Ordnance Survey maps on advertising material, are charged a fee of £45 a year.

I wouldn't like to guess at the formula's OS might use to calculate an appropriate licensing fee for the digitools ukpostcode software - but hope you might receive a favorable response from OS with regards to licensing costs. If so it would be good if you could find a solution to keep the ukpostcode software - althought realise it might prove quite complicated to do so in its current status of shareware/freeware.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this web site then.

http://www.poisoft.co.uk/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: