Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mem Map & TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mem Map & TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, thanks again. I had previous moaned at MM as when I down loaded MM navigator (trial version) I had also wanted to down load a 'local'(Hampshire) trial map such that I could ensure all was working well before i jumped in with both feet and spent alot of dosh on OS maps (the trial map is of Port Talbot in Wales!!). MM assured me that I should get a GPS position on a blank screen with the trial version having gone through the process of getting the tempoary activation key for 30 days..But clearly alas no joy.
Are you certain the trial does not have GPS functionality once activated ?
Any alternatives ideas short of buying the OS.maps. Having followed so many strings where people clearly had GPS navigation clashes and com port problems with TomTom and MM using BT . I really wanted to see this working in harmony with TomTom on my XDA before spending more dosh on the OS maps...
Thanks again
Yrs Farehmdoc / Grant Sad
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: GPS Gate is not the answer.... Reply with quote

...well it was for me!

I experienced exactly the same problems on my Ipaq 6340. TT3 worked fine, MM wouldn't. Reset the beast - start MM - works fine, start TT3, MM stops playing.

Friends on Geocaching.com suggested GPS Gate.

Installed it and now I can switch between the two programmes, we use TT3 to get to the general location of a cache then switch over to MM for the final "positioning".

I've used the "first" suggested solution from Fransom, so as soon as you start GPS Gate, TT3 runs - and runs again whenever you try to shut it down. It's a pain but we only ever use both programmes when out caching.

When I have more time, I intend to uninstall TT3 and try Fransom's second solution that removes the irritating "feature" incurred with the first one.
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hi Bernie. Thanks for taking time to post re this problem. The thing that really bugs me about all this is that some folk out there seem to beable to get both TomTom and MMs running fine without 3rd party software assistance such as Gpsgate. Implying no program freezing or com port blocking and yet can't explain why this works for them given similar BT set up GPs and not for frustrated moi!! and there's me thinking computing is as close to an exact science as you can get!
Does anyone know if the TRIAL version of MM navigator actually works with a BT.GPS to give positional info dispite lack of appropriate map ?
Farehamdoc Question
Also running:
Ipaq 3660 with twin CF battery backpack and Globalsat 307 CF GPS and 1GB Cf card.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grant,

I've now licenced my trial version of MM (and don't have TomTom or an XDA11) so can't be of much help, but I'm fairly sure that the Trial (30 day licensed) version of Memory Map *does* give real-time tracking GPS functionality on a PPC, but the "viewer" version (when the trial has expired) does not. However, you probably will have to completely close down TomTom first, unless you use COM-port sharing additional software.

You can download a complete GB "route" map for MM at the following URL:

http://www.walkingworld.com/home/index.asp?id=1&nid=174

The map is only 1.3M:1 so no use for checking the correct use of WGS84 versus OSGB map datums, etc., but may be more informative than just a "blank screen". If you particularly want to check out 50k:1 mapping for your area, then send me your email address and a Grid Reference (in the SE region) and I'll try to send you a small .qct map file for, say, one mile around. Of course you can get just one region of MM for about £34 from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk or Stanfords at the moment.

Cheers,

Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P Alan, much appreciated time to reply and excellent and most helpful pointers, I'll definately try the GB map, although I still think my problem is com port related. Even with TT shut down (I know its not running in background as I have a program manager 'Flashdash' on PPC) I still cannot get the MM navigator to see my BT GPS. I guess its back to basics remove TT and MM reinstall MM and see if works and then reinstall TT and see where that gets me at which point GPsgate will no doubt seem particularly appealing once more!!.
ho hum, what else would I be doing with my evenings? Question
Also running:
Ipaq 3660 with twin CF battery backpack and Globalsat 307 CF GPS and 1GB Cf card.
Wingnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the TT3 vs MM2004(OS) GPS problem but fixed it by removing one instance of the TomTom~GPS software. (I say 1 instance because having removed it, another was still there!!).

Anyway, they've been working fine together for a year.

TomTom 5 is now available as an upgrade. Has anybody tried it and does it still work (or can it still be made to work) with MM?
Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS
Tom Tom Navigator 3
Memory Map 2004 OS
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingnut wrote:
I had the TT3 vs MM2004(OS) GPS problem but fixed it by removing one instance of the TomTom~GPS software. (I say 1 instance because having removed it, another was still there!!).

Anyway, they've been working fine together for a year.

TomTom 5 is now available as an upgrade. Has anybody tried it and does it still work (or can it still be made to work) with MM?

v5 and other GPS apps including MM 2004 OS now work without any tweaks Smile

Last edited by Darren on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: GPS Gate is not the answer!... Reply with quote

...well it was for me!

I had the same results that everyone else extensively reported. GPS Gate has enabled me to use TT3 and MM 2004 at the same time, swapping between them as required. It is not ideal (TT3 repeatedly restarts), but it does provide a workaround for TT3 habit of grabbing hold of Bluetooth.

I have found that once our journey is completed, the simplest way forward is to soft-reset the Ipaq to clear everything down, re-boot and start afresh.
PaulBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
v5 and other GPS apps including MM 2004 OS now work without any tweaks

Darren - I beg to differ! I spent all day yesterday after installing my TT5 Upgrade trying in vain to get it to work and when I checked MM2004 it no longer worked either! I have posted in the TT Navigator Forum where there are an ever increasing number of threads from people struggling to get a GPS fix within TT5 - I am going to try again today and after that will resort to uninstalling TT5 & going back to TT3 which (with the help of this Forum) I have had running for months alongside MM2004 without any problem ...
Paul Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, I have TTNv5 and MM2004 OS Edition loaded on my XDAII and both work fine Confused
PaulBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren ... Time for me to eat my words! Embarassed
After many days of trying I finally threw in the towel & approached TT about getting a refund - As this was a slow process I kept watching the Forums here & someone posted a tip about my Fortuna Clip On GPS which was to try changing from XT to ST setting - As a last resort I tried it and Robert was (as they say) your mothers brother! TT5 working & MM working too ... PocketGPSWorld Forums rule!
Paul ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: