Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mem Map & TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mem Map & TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
niv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Mem Map & TomTom Reply with quote

Hi out there, new user here. Just got Rikaline 6030 to mate to my HP2210. I can get Mem Map to work OK, but as soon as I install TTNav, Mem Map wont work.
All used to work fine with Garmin eMap, (wired to PDA), but that's too clumsy. I want TTN for motorbike & car journeys, mainly bike.

Any idea what I need to do. I've tried TTN upgrade to 3.07, but to no avail. Question
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read our article on how to properly install TomTom when you want to run other programs too (the "smarties guide"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
dazednotconfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Nav3.07 and Memory Map woes... Reply with quote

Hi, I've been a user of Tomtom Nav 3.07 for quite some time now with a O2 XDAII connected to a Tomtom Bluetooth GPS Receiver....and without any major problems either...

I just bought a copy of Memory Map ( the latest, newest release ) and the MM software just doesn't want to work...

I've tried uninstalling the GPS driver "once" as suggested in the "smarties guide" (me obviously not that smart!). The driver completely disappeared after a soft re-set....is this an XDA2 thing?

I installed the CAB files 2.06 successfully but this didn't work either....

I installed a piece of software called GPS Gate and a Tomtom GPS plug in as suggested by the GPS Gate site....this GPS Gate software allows you to share the Bluetooth connection from a Tomtom Bluetooth GPS and others...all this didn't work either Rolling Eyes

I am an avid fan of greenlaning in my 4x4 and the Tomtom Navigator just isn't good enough for the routes I take, so Memory Map looks like the way to go....if it decides to work!! Anybody any ideas??

Cheers
Chris
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try following the script again, maybe you missed a step. Should work.

GPSGate is not the solution - the problem happens earlier.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mavrik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, it turned out to be a setting in memory map

MM > GPS > setup, I needed to set the baud rate to 38400 and specify the same bluetooth port that Tomtom uses (com8 on mine)
dazednotconfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mavrik, Ibendlin....

I followed the Smarties Guide to the letter, read all the threads in the posts, I've tried every com port that exists, all to no avail...

I agree that GPSGate is not the answer and I think maybe all the problems stem from the fact it's a XDA2 with a Microsoft Bluetooth driver...I could be wrong of course...

In Memory Map, setting up the GPS under the menu command, I'm confronted with a list of manufacturers including None; Navman; NMEA; Garmin; Magellan; SiRF....I presume the right one is NMEA?

Then I'm confronted with a list of COM ports...my COM6 is "BT on COM6" Is it logical to assume it's this one?

Could there something wrong with the MM installation? Is this a case of hacking the registry on the XDA? Is there a way of altering the settings within the MS Bluetooth drivers?

Any ideas anyone?....I'm thinking of changing my sign in name to just plain old "confused" !! Rolling Eyes
Mavrik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines set on NMEA

I tried the smarites guide at first, but all it did was remove my GPS completly

your right to assume the com port is the same as the one set in the GPS (com 6 in your case)
dazednotconfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is logical to assume that the BT Comport is the one that's offered from the drop down list in MM, but I've found that if you check under Bluetooth settings for the "outbound comport" (in my case COM5) and then setting MM to use the same, this seems to make it work!! I also deleted the partnership and re-established the pairing with the Tomtom Bluetooth. :D

IBendlin, you have covered everything, I just needed to re-read the information. One thing I didn't see was about the deleting and re-establishing the Bluetooth partnership, but then the whole point of your article, Smarties Guide, was to set up GPS and not Bluetooth!!

Will the person(s) who invented Bluetooth please stand up...so I can get a clear shot at him / her!! Twisted Evil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an XDAII, I agree that it's far from logical that the BT Com Port offered is not in fact the port you need, it should in actual fact be COM5, go figure!

I use mine with TomTom, MM and others with no problem but you do need to ensure that you are running the last O2 XDAII ROM Update (v1.72) for optimum results with Bluetooth.
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, as a fellow Hampshire resident I hope you'll be sympathetic to my newby interest in all this, but have been frustrated as it seems have many others with XDA11 (latest and last Rom version) TomTom 3 (v3.07) and BT (Haicom 303MMF and BT Slipper) with Memory-maps. Have you managed to gets yours working without all the performance of Lutz Bendlin's Smarties Guide by doing something magical on Com5 . Please give (if possible) exact sequence of actions as simply as possible before the rest of my hair turns grey. I've followed strings about GPsgate / BT tools programs etc etc. I have down loaded trial version of Memory-maps and don't want to raid the piggy bank for hundreds of squid for OS.maps until I can get everything talking to each other.
Thanks for all your efforts on most superb site
Yrs Farehamdoc / Grant Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XDAII has been re-flashed to WM2003SE so I can't give exact steps but it was working fine with TomTom V3 and MM2004.

At one stage I used the 2.07 GPS driver / COM5 and later 3.03 which when installed following a hard reset required no twiddling, it just worked.
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Darren, thanks again for quick response, at the risk of getting slightly off the subject, does WM2003Se give you alot over 1.72 Rom version and if so how and where does one go about reflashing the XDA11 to WM2003SE..do you think this helped solve to com port problem.. I have tried Com 5 without success, infact MM just seems to slow to a crawl having tried to change set up in GPS setup which is NMEA and currently COM5 Baud 4800, eventually I'll get a GPS: communications timeout message. Blue tooth is on and set to bonded divices which is my haicom 303MMF + slipper...TomTom GPS works fine by the way. As an aside since I update TomTom to version 3.07 I have a second GPS(2) icon and a scond TomTomNavigator(2) icon on my programme page, but when i go to add/remove programes in settings only one version of these programmes appears!! In blue tooth settings I have the Authentication passkey 'unchecked' and Blue tooth serial Portsetup : inbound Com port 4 and outbound Com port 5 are both 'unchecked' Does any of this make any differnce?.. To cap it all now TomTom won't let me 'recheck' the the tick box to confirm.Nmea and Bluetooth Gps ...this really is driving me to distraction!!..Help
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WM2003SE upgrade is not an officially santioned product. It has been put together by XDA enthusiasts, invalidates your warranty and requires some tweaking to get installed.

Unless your confident doing this and accept the risk that you may end up with a dead XDA I wouldn't recommend it but it can be found at http://www.XDA-Developers.com .

I had MM and TomTom working fine with 1.72 prior to the upgrade though. What have you done, uninstalled the TomTom~GPS entry or reverted to 2.07?
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Darren. Again patients is a virtue !!
In order as I remember things, by this time braina nd XDA failure looming large!! XDA11 upgrade to Rom to 1.72. all fine ..Installed TomTom 3.03 from CD and tried using with Blue tooth Haicom 303MMF/BT slipper. would not work on discoverable device setting for blue tooth but will work when bonded..Down loaded Blue tooth tools program as recommended somewhere else on site...works fine on NMEA setting or NMAE Blue tooth, with device set to Bluetooth GPS. I then upgraded TomTom to 3.07 again all fine, except get second GPS and Navigator icon in Program page ?? why. Then installed trial MM navigator, but simply will not find GPS on any of the possible Com settings it allows..the only GPS manufactturer option which looks sensible is NMEA which then doesn't offer a model option, but remains NMEA 0183,RMC and the tried all cmo ports form 4 to BT on 6 at Baud of 4800....nothing except ocassional time out message!! Incidentally the whole MM programme seems to stutter and freeze before it reacts to any attemps to change settings. All this is done with BT active to bonded device ie the Haicom.
Again thanks for your patients...not sure I.m brave enough to reflash my XDA11 given my obvious ineptitude at GPS set up!!
Farehamdoc / Grant
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trial version of MM does not have GPS functionality so that may be the issue here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: