Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot connect to TomTom Traffic....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot connect to TomTom Traffic....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisnel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Cannot connect to TomTom Traffic.... Reply with quote

I am relatively new to all this PDA, GPS, TTN3 and Traffic stuff but having invested in the technology earlier in the year I was amazed to find how relatively easy it was to set up and configure. I took out the free one-month trial of TT Traffic and all worked perfectly well.......that is until I upgraded to a one-year subscription. Since then I don't seem to be able to get traffic updates whilst on the move.

My setup is an iPAQ hx4700 running TTN3 + Traffic (and CheckPOInt). I am using an Emtac BT GPS and an Orange SPV C500 mobile phone with BT and GPRS.

Whenever I now try and update the traffic information in the car I get the usual dial-up dialog box appear but it fails to make a connection and all I get is the message "Cannot connect to TomTom Traffic, check your internet connection."

Having seen and read similar postings I followed some of the advice given there. When the PDA is sitting in its cradle at home connected to my PC and on-line via a fixed broadband link to the internet then I can get traffic updates no problem. This indicates to me that all my TT Traffic and account and password data is set up ok.

When standalone, I can access the internet on my PDA via GPRS using a BT connection to my Orange phone. This suggests that my BT settings with the phone are ok and that the GPRS connection from Orange phone is also ok.

Yet when I power up TTN3 in the car I cannot get a connection. Except that is for this morning!!??!!

Before I set out this morning I put the PDA in its cradle at home, started up TTN3 and updated the traffic information on-line. And then without quitting TTN3 or switching off the PDA I put it in the car and set off. Whilst en route I was able to retrieve traffic updates over GPRS via the Orange phone.

Thinking that the previous failure to make connections was just a temporary blip I tried to get traffic updates later on in the morning from my desk using the GPRS connection - alas - again no connection possible.

This has got me baffled. I am reluctant to start messing around with various settings as everything has been working as it should at one time or another. Anyone got any ideas or experienced similar?

Chris
Gideon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris,

I have exactly the same problem with a Dell Axim X50v and Motorola V3. Have been trying to solve it for some time. Have you found the fault?
The only way to get it to work is to start an internet connection before starting TomTom. Once the internet connection is established, I start TomTom and can then receive traffic information.

Best wishes

Gideon
chrisnel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gideon
My traffic updates seem to working fine again now. Not aware that I changed any settings - just seemed to start working again. However, have to say it is a temperamental. Seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing!

Have had a couple of ocassions recently where Tom Tom Traffic has managed to make a connection successfully and a message has come up to inform me it is retreiving traffic information...but then announces there are no incidents on route. But then you look at the whole UK and realise that everywhere is incident free - at 8am on a Tuesday morning? Can this be the case? Surely not.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it very temperamental too. Most times it works, but quite often I cannot get updates when on the move. It has got worst for me since I changed service providers, from O2 to Vodafone. I doubt I will waste money renewing when my 12 months is up. In 6 months it has saved me from one trafffic jam. Most times I cannot rely on regular access. Also it is dangerous messing about with it when driving.

Steve
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at last I've found some fellow sufferers' - this problem has been driving me nuts for weeks now (in fact ever since purchasing a years Traffic subscription!).

I think the problem I have is with Orange (and I'm guessing as Chris is using an SPV he's on Orange too?.) as I think their data service is suspect - I often get problems connecting to WAP (on the handset itself), and surfing the web via my PDA.

I seem to make a succesful BT connection to the handset, a quick connection to Orange GPRS, but then it appears as if the DNS lookup isn't working because if I enter a known good URL (like google for example) it searches and searches for about 2 mins, then fails.

Orange haven't been much help to date, I've deleted and re-entered my settings several times (as instructed on their website), but as it works sometimes, I'm fairly sure the problem is network related, rather than handset / PDA / config or even the TT Traffic server.

Maybe it's the network mast changes to 3G that's causing the GPRS system to fail?. Most of my failed attempts are whilst he move.

Anyone able to offer any more insight - or let us know if they get Traffic to work 100%of the time?.
SteveM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I'm so glad it's not just me!

I've recently switched from a Moto V500, to a V600 and now a V635. On the V500 I had little/no issues, but after upgrading phones I've had all sorts of problems.

Generally, and I put this down to the change of phone, I can get the system to work if I dial-up first. It works from my office using a manual dial-up but as soon as I get in the car - no go!

I hit the 'update traffic information' button, see the bluetooth symbol appear on the phone, the GPRS icon appears, a few flashes of GPRS data and then nothing.

Someone earlier mentioned about DNS and I wonder if this might be the problem (change of phones being coincedence?)? My home mail server has a DNS entry which I can resolve from work, friends houses etc but does not seem to work from orange dial-up - could this be the issue?
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm the plot thickens! - I rang Orange abouyt my data access problems, and they said to call them next time it fails, and they'll invetsigate on their logs. Since then, it has only failed whilst using TT Traffic (and it's not practical to ring Orange data support (156) whilst travelling at 70 mph!).

Symptoms seem to ring true with the earlier posts, I can create a good connection to the internet (and even TT Traffic can do so without my assistance) and the Traffic download will start. 10, 20 mins later I could press the bottom left of my screen, and initiate an update which would be succesful - after that though the update would fail (and not have any other internet access either, although indications on the phone, and Bluetooth manager, are that the connection was still active).

I've tried using GPRS data at my desk, and the connection didn't fail over the 4hr test period.

I disabled the Automatic Traffic update (in TT / Properties / Traffic) feature in case this was causing a problem, but made no diffference.

So it looks as if once failed, you have to close the existing connection, and re-initiate it to get it working - this is far to fiddly to do whilst driving.

So I think the problem is either GPRS coverage whilst travelling, or and my suspicion is here, TT Traffic is somehow timing out, or causing the connection to fail/hang, but without the iPAQ detecting the problem.

If only TT were able to re-initiate the connection it wouldn't be a problem..
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedon wrote:

....So I think the problem is either GPRS coverage whilst travelling.....

This gets my vote. Never had any real issues until moving from O2 to Skodafone - it was a work thing.

I was thinking about getting another (personal) account with O2 just for the access to TTT, but then I wonder if it is worth the expense. Confused

I used to be able to use IE on the PDA on the train from MKeynes to London with just a couple of weak signal areas. Now with Vodafone, forget it, unless the train is stationary, preferably in Euston!!
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an interesteing conversation with Orange Data support, they've confirmed that if you travel out of GPRS coverage, the head end modem will drop the call. Equally after a period of inactivity your connection is likely to be dropped.

They suggested I look for an app for the PDA to keep the connection alive (much as suggested by David earlier), and something to make it easier to reconnect, like a GPRS manager app.

I'm not sure how well the GPRS manager will work (as it doesn't appear intelligent enough to reconnect a dropped connection, and you still have to go to the Today page to reinitiate a new connection) but I'll perhaps give these two a go, and let you know how I get on:

GPRS Keep Alive (£1.69) from Handango.co.uk
&
Connect2Internet (now with GPRS Mon) (£15.95) also from Handango
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on re-reading - I guess it's obvious that your call will be dropped by the provider..

and the comment regarding Davids advice on PDA apps was taken from another (similar) thread in this forum.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPRS keep alive app didn't seem to make any difference to TT Traffic, but made surfing the web better (as I don't have to re-initiate the connection anymore).

I'm a bit suspicious of the way Traffic connects, as it seemed to come up with an old connection name even though that connection has been deleted / recreated and renamed (it reports dialling ORANGE GPRS - where the name changed slightly when I changed phones and recreated the connection, to Orange GPRS).

So as my internet connection works 99% of the time via BT on the Ipaq, I decided I've given up trying to reset the options in TT, and just delete and reload the app. I haven't had a chance to test this on a long journey yet but it's working fine on short local journeys (inc. the auto update I set to every 20 mins).

I'll do some testing on long journeys next week - but unless the problem relates to GPRS signal, I'm optimistic that I've fixed it.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found TTT very reliable since moving to TT5. Just about 100% improvement. Shame the information it shows is not so good...!

Steve
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same ere. Nearly always connects but the information is next to useless! Its either out of date or totally inaccurate.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
Same ere. Nearly always connects but the information is next to useless! Its either out of date or totally inaccurate.

Agree most of the time the information is either out of date or inaccurate.

Although - this morning it worked very well (for the first time - ever).

The more people use it and subscribe to it you'd hope they would use this cash to improve the service.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: