Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - road angel/snooper subscription query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

road angel/snooper subscription query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: road angel/snooper subscription query Reply with quote

do you have to subscribe for a full year or can you just download update say every 6months for a one off payment?/
cheers
voxmagna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to accept they have you 'by the short and curlies' and this probably applies to most of the subscription based devices. You basically rent a box for a large upfront sum and then pay a sub. The business is in ongoing subscription and lockin like Sky digi boxes - but there's no guarantee of free services! The real cost is your cost of ownership over a period. In theory you could start a direct debit then cancel it after a month and try re starting it, but how do you think they would feel about that?

The other myth is that all these devices are perfect which they aren't so you shouldn't drive on them, just be happy if you get a warning you can do something about, and take the hit if you don't.

Now here's a few other things. OK, you might accept your Snooper has a 'frozen' database and it still works (assuming they've not put a timeout in their software). This might be relevant when you read they are putting a moritorium on new speed cams for 9 months - to assess their safety impact.

However, the Snooper has an internal Lithium watch battery which I'm sure keeps its database memory alive. Depending on its age when they might have improved the electronics, they get hot and the 5-10 year shelf life for the cell in my case was only 3 years. I was lucky 'cos I knew how to fix mine and the database is still intact. In the same way that the Snoopers track cameras, the manufacturer tracks owners through their registration process and can even block units from downloads.

Now the RLD radar/laser unit, add this unit and the power supplied by the dashboard unit doubles so it gets hotter and memory battery life goes faster. The other rub is the RLD unit only works when the unit is working with a database - so no database = unit is totally dead and useless.

Now you can see why their giveaway inclusive warranty is so important and a large proportion of the electronis is their proprietary diallup modem ringing their premium rate number.

Snoopers are compact and can work well when they are working, but other solutions using pocket pc's and open imported POI data would avoid subscription lockins.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voxmagna wrote:
The other rub is the (Snooper) RLD unit only works when the unit is working with a database - so no database = unit is totally dead and useless.

When I got my S6-R Neo a couple of years ago, I went out with it before downloading anything to it (it came 'bare') and the RLD workied just fine for me without a database.

Mind you, I probably won't renew its subscription when it runs out, but will keep it for RLD functionality until they are made illegal (if they haven't been already).
voxmagna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mine on a K12 so looks like we're into the same sort of thing. Might have to prune the RLD for mot's though. I tried mine with a local cam which i thought was radar and didn't get anything - have you found a simple way of testing it? I couldn't get a laser pointer to do anything either.

What will you do when the sub runs out? The problem with bikes seems to be you need them small, low power and out of the way so they don't get pinched. I've got my gps antenna and control unit underneath my top box lid on a metal plate. I route the earpiece out to a free socket under the seat and have an ultrabright led on the yoke, connected through a couple of buffer transistors to the audio. Ideally I'd like to keep the gps receiver alive and locked all the time, but the power demand of the Snooper is too high.

I thought it might have done this when you kept it powered and pushed the off button. Mine keeps the RLD and GPS powered with nearly 0.5 amp and that's too much for a small bike battery.

OK I don't see the display upfront, but riding to stay alive is so important, I didn't want another distraction.

Regards - VOX
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use it on the bike, or at least I haven't yet.

The RLD will only pick up the cam if it's active, don't forget. I saw a camera flashing a guy coming the other way, so I knew it was active. :D Also, it picked up Supermarket and Fuel Station sliding doors.

When the sub runs out I'll use it as a backup in the car and see what happens to the data. I can't even remember when it does run out! I can still add points manually, but I don't know how many.

I'll mainly use the iPAQ or iCN, both of which do a good job, although not with the Radars....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: