Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am I the only one who likes it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I the only one who likes it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Am I the only one who likes it? Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by SteveRose on 09 April 2003

The only thing I've noticed that doesn't work as before is the hardware button mapping from GPS Assist, TomTom 2 seems to override it.

I would like to hear if there are any other users who are happy as the forum is full of a lot of negative views at the moment.

Steve

I too find the hardware button mapping annoying - I see that Navigator can assign the buttons, but I want to use button 4 with GPSAssist to record locations (safety cameras).
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Am I the only one who likes it? Reply with quote

Very happy with it, it's the dogs bollox!

I have not had TT1 so cannot compare, but I tried a friends Navman system and I think this is better. I also tried the Compaq marketed system and wasn't too keen on that one either. At first I used TT2 with my Garmin III+ and although it worked well there were cables everywhere. Today I got a Sapphire GPS for £91 and it is amazing. Locks on very fast, TT2 likes it and the cables are minimal. Journeys I have done so far in the Lake District have amazed me. It has been spot on and even shown every little side road I didn't ecpect. Another added plus is that the wife is so fascinated by it that it keeps her quiet and she is not twittering away in my ear all the time. As a test tonight I guessed the location of Comet 10 mile away on the map. Very satisfying when it says "You have reached you destination" just as you put the handbrake on.

Bob.
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Steve,

Glad you found a solution that works for you. Though it is really odd, in my setup icBar is set as button 4 (From the OS), in TTN2 I set that button to default, and in POI-Warner, I tell it to use hardware button 4 (iTask). This means when I am in the OS normally, button 4 brings up icBar but only when I am running POI-Warner and TTN2 does Button 4 record a position.

As you can see I haven't assigned TTN2 or POI-W to any hardware buttons as I actually use them, for PI and @mail and icBar.

Regards,

B
SteveRose
Occasional Visitor

B

I got round it by assigning button 1 to TT and button 2 to GPSAssist in the iPAQ OS. Granted if you like to use those buttons for other things you are stuffed but I only realy use the record hardware button.

Steve

alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Okay, thats a start, at least TTN2 is ignoring it and the itask function is getting called. The issue now is why doesn't GPSassist interrupt and respond to that the Button 4 Click. The only thing I can think of is that somehow GPSAssist has lost its association with Button 4 but I don't know enough about GPSAssist to help with that. Maybe someone else can offer some advice ?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

B
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Despite the problems I have been experiencing I too also like this new version. I have a 3950 + Leadtek 9532. Once my destination is set the navigation side is perfect, the re route options are also good. The problems I have all seem to be with the program not responding properley to the map screen & favourite list.

Richard
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by alienrider on 09 April 2003

Maybe I am missing something but cannot you not set Button 4 in TTN2 to default and then set GPS Assist to use this. By setting it to default, TTN2 should have nothing to do with it and pass it back to the system. That is what I do with POI-Warner, and it works as expected.

Hope this helps,

B

For some reason that does not work, by setting button 4 in TTN2 to default it now calls up iTask. Even though GPSAssist has button 4 mapped to record position.
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi Mark R Penn,

All my fields are in the correct places, I just found one address that does work, but all the other addresses (approx 20) with fully valid addresses which appear in TTN2 with the data in the right places for some reason causes TTN2 to suggest wild places. Such 433 Great Western Road, Glasgow, G4 9JA (all correctly identified by the TTN2 Screen) causes it to suggest West Glen Road, PA13, Glasgow (Abbotsinch) International Airport (Renfrewshire) ?????????

Must be my weird mates ,

B
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

Having the contacts integration work well depends a lot on how you have entered your contacts. If you've used the address fields as TTN expects you to, it works fantastically well, but if you put house name in street, street in city, or simmillar, it will have trouble.
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

I too really like it, a 3850+TDK BT sleeve and Socket BT GPS. I think the 3D view is spot on and allows me to judge whether the s/ware is talking crap if what I see kinda marries up to what is on the screen. However with my contacts TTN2 generates the most laughable suggestions as where my friends really are, and that is slightly annoying.

Quote: Originally posted by 3GGG on 09 April 2003

Quote: Originally posted by SteveRose on 09 April 2003

The only thing I've noticed that doesn't work as before is the hardware button mapping from GPS Assist, TomTom 2 seems to override it.

I would like to hear if there are any other users who are happy as the forum is full of a lot of negative views at the moment.

Steve

I too find the hardware button mapping annoying - I see that Navigator can assign the buttons, but I want to use button 4 with GPSAssist to record locations (safety cameras).

Maybe I am missing something but cannot you not set Button 4 in TTN2 to default and then set GPS Assist to use this. By setting it to default, TTN2 should have nothing to do with it and pass it back to the system. That is what I do with POI-Warner, and it works as expected.

Hope this helps,

B
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by 3GGG on 09 April 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 09 April 2003Uninstalling shouldn't be a requirement as TomTom are updating/overwriting the same files, the only thing you need to make sure is TTNav or the GPS applet aren't running when you do the upgrade. The preview copy I had I just installed over the top, and left GPSAssist on there and it was very happy with this.

I just installed mine. I installed the program and English voice from the CD. Then installed the Scottish map to a folder on my PC. I then used Explorer to copy the map data over to the SDCARD (replacing the old data within the folder, keeping my POIs etc). Did a soft reset and fired it up. All works fine so far on a 3870.

That's EXACTLY how I installed mine (except I used the full UK map), and I don't have problems either. Could it be to do with the installation method used?

SteveRose
Occasional Visitor

I am a TomTom 1/GPS Assist/Leadtek 9531 user who has upgraded.

I use the above on an iPAQ 3870.

To be on the safe side I decided to uninstall both TomTom and GPS assist before installig the new software (meant resetting my favorites etc but better safe than sorry).

The installation went OK, including the web activation. I then installed the new version of GPS assist and downloaded the latest Safety Camera database.

I have been using it for a couple of days now and it hasn't crashed once. The 'Navigate to' from the contacts database works smoothly and the 'Arrial Time At Destination' seems to be accurate.

The jury is still out with regards to the 3D map, its good when comming up to complicated junctions but I miss the extra side roads that you can see in 2D mode.

I am also impressed with the improved alternative routing options. I let it work out a couple of alternatives last night and discovered a new way home from work avoiding the M25.

So, in summary I am very happy with the product and I do think it is an improvement over version 1. The only addition I would like to see is point to point routing ( A to C via B) but GPS Assisit provides this for me.

Steve

3GGG
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 09 April 2003

Uninstalling shouldn't be a requirement as TomTom are updating/overwriting the same files, the only thing you need to make sure is TTNav or the GPS applet aren't running when you do the upgrade. The preview copy I had I just installed over the top, and left GPSAssist on there and it was very happy with this.

I just installed mine. I installed the program and English voice from the CD. Then installed the Scottish map to a folder on my PC. I then used Explorer to copy the map data over to the SDCARD (replacing the old data within the folder, keeping my POIs etc). Did a soft reset and fired it up. All works fine so far on a 3870.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Uninstalling shouldn't be a requirement as TomTom are updating/overwriting the same files, the only thing you need to make sure is TTNav or the GPS applet aren't running when you do the upgrade. The preview copy I had I just installed over the top, and left GPSAssist on there and it was very happy with this.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

I'm very happy with it. I don't think it's a brand new version more of a 1.6 upgrade. If it was a genuine version 2 I think they would have rethought out the user interface to better accommodate existing and new functionality. Some of it seems a little crowbarred and not intuitive.

I'm one that thinks the angle on 3d view is too low - I can look out of the window to see what's coming up - I prefer extra information on the screen, and at the moment the 2d mode shows me that.

Some of the problems in the old version made it faithfully into this (slow city searching, disabling of BT GPS device) and they've added some new ones (post-code searching, exit button in Navigator view not resetting the volume), but overall I'm happy with it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: