Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchased a ACER n35 any thoughts on this item and thanks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchased a ACER n35 any thoughts on this item and thanks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Purchased a ACER n35 any thoughts on this item and thanks Reply with quote

First of all, I have been reading these forums for the last few days and the advice and info is really good. It has allowed me to make what i think is a considered purchase.

I have gone for the ACER n35 as i am on a tight budget and for £250 appox it seems a good deal and a neat solution. Although I think co-pilot live 5 is probably best from what I read, destinator 3 seems upto the task.

If anyone has used this pda and software combination and would like to pass on any obvious tips I would most appriaciate them otherwise I will continue to reference the relevant forums. :D :D
Rustynuts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you return it for a refund? If so, check out this link. The N35 comes with Destinator 3 included for £256. Ebuyer
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased from morecomputers total price including p&p was £252. I note after my purchase they put the price up about £10 that afternoon still a good deal though I think. Should receive early this week.

The real reason for my post though I suppose was that the mio 168 has had a lot of discussion about it and yet no one seems to mention the n35 I just wondered if anyone had already got it and their experiences.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the n35 it is very very similar to the Mitac Mio168, so similar in fct that I wouldn't be surprised if they were one and the same internally.
Mattr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought one actually, seemed like a bit of a bargain with Destinator 3 and 256MB SD card included for £250. It's not quite a Mio 168 clone as it has a 266MHz Samsung CPU, not the 300MHz Intel X-Scale. Apparently the Samsung processor is faster than the 300MHz Intel though so should be ok.
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had mine for a few days now and for the price very happy with it. Has the latest destinator version with the m6 toll and I have had no roundabout issues either with this software that seemed to inflict previous versions.

It is also my first pda so I have enjoyed downloading all the software which you can trial for a period to see if it is useful. All in all very easy to use and above all a practical device beyond the very useful satnav feature. :D :D :D
Curare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pja8

Which versions of the software and the maps do you have? I have 3.0.75 and 2004.Q1.2827 respectively and there is still a slight problem with Roundabouts. Spoken directions are fine but the visual notifications are sometimes wrong (especially 3rd exits).
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version is 3.0.75_93, as to the roundabout issue I personally have not had a problem but then I tend never to take much notice of the pda screen especially when driving around a roundabout. I purely listen to the directions.

I have to say it took me a while to get use to how it sometimes describes the turning to take on a roundabout but it has never set me on the wrong path. I am not a daily user so what errors do exist and I am sure all satnav software have errors of some kind I am not likly to come across them any time soon.
Curare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the maps Teleatlas or Navteq? I bought the N35 because Destinator make such a big thing of using Navteq maps and that's what I wanted, but mine came with Teleatlas maps! I am awaiting a call back from their Support line, as the girl there said Destinator could be received with either Destinator or Navteq maps, which I found very strange.
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are tele atlas it says so on the destinator discs that came with it.
akacheesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have any idea which GPS chip it uses? I've just spent 30mins on the phone to their Tech Support who were unable to give me an answer.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are full technical specs on the n35GPS over at Acer.co.uk However, for whatever reason it doesn't state the chipset used.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
akacheesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah looked there too, no joy
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS Chipset: SiRF Star II/LP , does this answer your question? Is that a good or not so good chipset?
akacheesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it answers my question thanks, how did you find the answer?? Acer Tech support were RUBBISH couldn't tell me what they use!! 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: