Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Well i have an Ipaq and have no other programs running in memory other than Navigator yet i still crashes. I live in a country where we drive on the right side of the road. And i can se you don't. Somehow TomTom has managed to screw up the program so that it tells you to drive on the left side of the road. This is really annoying and clearly something that the software should be able to handle. If not they should not be selling the software for countrys the software cant handle.

You can see this tread for others with similar problems:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=62&TopicID=1619&PagePosition=2

Decker
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

I must say reading all of the above it sounds like a Grand Prix crash. I haven't experienced any of these above problems in my preview. I've been running TTNav2 twice daily and plotting various POI's and using Alternative Routes without any slowdowns, crashes or GPF's. I'm using TTN2 with GPSAssist, and maps are installed onto SD card.

What other programs are you guys running in memory ? eg taskbars, today plugins etc ?

Where have you guys installed the main TTN2 GPS programs to ? You have gone and installed them to your SD or CF cards have you ???
Decker
Occasional Visitor

I also have an Ipaq so i guess it is not just Toshiba and Dell Axim owners that could experience this kind of problems. Well lockups is one thing but what about the software telling me to drive on the wrong side of the road. Unbelivable bad.

Decker
Darren
Frequent Visitor

I'm using TTNav2 on a lowly iPAQ 3630 with a Navman 3000 and have experienced none of these routing and lockup issues. I have the UK mapset on a 256MB CF, and have not had one crash. I use POI-Warner and this runs fine with TTNav 2 and as my office is just outside Guildford and I travel there daily I have had no issues routing into or out of the town.

It is possible that TTNav2 has some specific issues with the Toshiba and Dell Axim but until we can spot a trend here it's difficult to pinpoint the cause.
Decker
Occasional Visitor

I have been trying Navigator 2 for the first time today and i must say that this is a total disaster. Constant freezes and lockups. Sometimes take minutes between screen updates in navigate view even though i have a perfect satellite fix. And worst of all it tells me to drive on the left side of the road and drive on the left side of roundabouts. In this country we drive on the right side of the road. How the hell could TomTom release a software so terrible buggy as this. This application is not even in an acceptable beta stage.

Decker
RichardS
Occasional Visitor

Some further investigation about the instability with my Toshiba.

I factory reinitialised again, but this time installed just a single 16MB map onto the PPC itself. So I did not use any external storage at all.

Same problem, but interestingly Navigator crashed in an even bigger way (fatal exception 0xc0000005 at address 000a8cf4), and reset didn't help (the exception happened upon loading), neither infact did re-installing, I had no option but to factory re-init yet one more time.

After more messing about re-installing yet again, I seem to have now got something that is a little better. Back to using the SD card with the whole UK map. I now seem to have it about 60% reliable doing "navigate to home", compared to only 1% before. This is still not good enough, and it could quite easily go back to as before.

Perhaps this is what planetc was reporting, but it might seems to be somehow related to the exact position of the favourite/home itself and the current reported GPS position. As noted in another thread, if you try to set a favourite by selecting from the map view, sometimes it just doesn't happen - perhaps there are somehow "bad" locations.

Another observation: if I manage to set a route in the navigator view, I then switch over to Map view to see what route it picks. I then tried "alternative route" in Map view, then it crashes out. Trying similar again, but this time try the "A to B" icon in map view - and nothing happens, even though the start and end icons are clearly set on the map.

I discovered this by trying an "alternative route" from the navigator view. It reported back "no alternative possible", which I couldn't understand, because when I plot the same route in the map view instead (setting the departure and destination points explicitly), I can get an alternative route.

So continuing to be unimpressed. I'd sacrifice 3D view if only the rest of it would work properly.... Is it possible to still buy Navigator version 1, perhaps that might be more stable?

Richard
xjt00
Occasional Visitor

Pocket PC: Dell Axim X5 300Mhz

GPS: Holux GM-270 CF

TTN1:

I first installed the whole UK map on a 128Mb SD Card (no brand name, bought from Expansys). It was painfully slow to find an address and some files got corrupted during a journey. I then installed 32Mb Southeast UK map on a 64Mb Panasonic SD Card and had no problem since.

TTN2:

I'm experiencing the same lock up problem with TTN2. It will lock up when I try to set it to drive back or when I plan a second route (it will definitely lock up if the destination is in Guildford area). I suspect the problem happens during addressing the database (map). I tried to format SD Card with different FAT type and cluster size to improve the performance but had no much success.

Another problem is the stability. The programme sometimes shut off automatically.

I searched Microsoft Knowledge Base. A fix called QFE31 is mentioned for lock-up when using large database but this download is for Windows CE Platform Builder.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ah so it's a Pocket Gear. I wondered what model it would be!
planetc
Occasional Visitor

I also have run tomtom2 for a day, on totalpda's 'leading brand' (pocketgear) pda. No problem with any crashes until I tried to route from an area that was not recognised as a road. At this point the system got confused and locked.

A soft reset was necessary to restore functionality, however, resarting tomtom in the same position results in more lock ups. Moving a couple of hundred yards to a recognised road solved this.

Also noted (probably hardware specific) if I perform a soft reset with the pda on the cradle the sd card becomes corrupt, the data remains reported as using space on the card but cannot be read. 'storage tools' mentioned above formatted the card and reinstall of maps was ok. Again worth noting, this is instable when done from the tomtom installer with half a dozen attemps resulting in a crash, simple copy and paste is the answer here.

On this note, does anybody know which files store the main config. settings as these are lost with a soft reset, it'd be nice to make a backup so I don't have to start over should I encounter this again.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Richard, the only common thing here I would say is the maps and the favourites are stored on the storage card, so you may have a fragmented storage card. You can defrag it if you have a PC Card reader that will read the storage card, or download Storage Tools.

It is possible it could be the Toshiba. There have been known problems with specific Pocket PC's and other GPS software before, so I wouldn't rule this out.

Here's a roll call for everyone, is there anyone out there using a Toshiba and TTNav 2 ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Cessquill, best to keep with FAT/FAT16 and use the default settings.

Talkingbollox, you shouldn't need to do this, but if you do get problems with any software it's always best to defrag. You should see the amount of crap I have installed to my PPC that TTN2 is currently sitting on, haven't had any problems with it so far. I used to get tons of problems though with TTN1 when I heavily used Mazingo as it would on a daily basis copy and delete in the region of around 20,000 files to my storage card. Gave up on Mazingo in the end!
clem
Regular Visitor

Well it didn't work. All the files but one managed to copy across -cline.dat or cname.dat can't remember which but it's the 40+ MB one.

It seems to get part of the way then gives up the ghost everytime. Definitively something weird going on cos I can copy larger files no problem.

Tom Tom have 24 hrs to reply otherwise it's going back.
musicreative
Regular Visitor

Is there anyone currently using TTN2 on a Compaq iPAQ 3970 that has a stable, usable system?

I have given up with my setup and gone back to TTN1. On my system the software is totally unusable. Like others, I did a hard reset and installed TTN2 only so no other software to cause problems. I have formatted both my SD card and my CF card, but it's made no difference.

I can sometimes add a favourite, but if I try to Navigate To a favourite, the iPAQ either locks-up or TTN2 just disappears! The Navigation mode is particularly unstable - I haven't been able to use it for more that about 8 minutes. Either the iPAQ just locks-up or TTN2 just disappears...

My setup is iPAQ 3970 (ROM 2.0 with PocketPC 2002 End User Update) and Emtac BTGPS.

I seems that the XScale PocketPCs are suffering again, judging by the posts.

I can't believe TomTom didn't test on the 3970, so I wonder what's going on.

The big problem is that there seems to be no reproducable pattern to the crashes, which makes it difficult to diagnose the problem!

Not good.

Tim
clem
Regular Visitor

Ok had an idea - extracted it out to a folder on my PC and copying across using explorer.

Fingers crossed!
clem
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply Dave. Whichever way I've tried seems to fail after about 20MB - 40MB of teh big 92MB is copied. The IPAQ drops its connection and I get the 'Disk Access Problem' error on my IPAQ 3970.

I'm running 2.10 Rom image of Pocket PC 2002.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: