Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken POI alerts for TomTom GO, Mobile, PocketPC and Palm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken POI alerts for TomTom GO, Mobile, PocketPC and Palm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Still far too quiet on a Palm Reply with quote

I downloaded the new spkon warning alerts file.chk for Palm a couple of days ago along with the POIs for different speeds and tested it out, as it soudned like a great idea.

Unfortunately I'll be going back to the old alert sounds file as the voice alerts are just far too quiet on my T3! Sad
I found them to be substantially quieter than the normal road direction commands, and I missed several completely with the radio on.

They also definitely need some sort of alert tone beforehand - a voice by itself makes for a very poor attention-grabbing sound.

The Aston Martin test which supposedly has the louder alert sounds seems to have used a TT GO. Maybe the sound level was only increased for that model?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we did use a GO in the Aston Marting, but it was with the original voice files. That said the volume is much better on the GO, as it has a stonking great speaker, which is almost as big as the screen on the Plam.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send us some of your existing sound files so we can compare the audio parameters. But honest, we have already cranked it up to 6 dB, and it starts to sound distorted... Not sure what else is possible

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx for the reply - if you let me know exactly which files you need then I'll gladly forward them.

However this new voice file is just so much quieter than the standard TTN4 directions (latest v4.40 release) which are easily strident enough to be heard over the radio without distortion, that I can only assume that something must have gone seriously amiss somehow in the 'construction' of it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send me the dataxx.chk file that you currently use. Have a look in the VIF files - those list the voice names, and the related dataxx.chk .

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. Smile

Installed on my 4.40 TT GO (can't remember exact version no) and it fell over. Continuous reboots :-(

Reinstalled from the CD. Spent half an hour trying to find the product code so I could reactivate the maps. Then downloaded 4.42 from Tomtom and installed over the top of 4.40. Then copied the data.chk file over and then all the zoned gatso files.

Rebooted the GO and it worked a treat. Took a while to assign all the warnings to the POI categories, but now it's fine. Might be a plan to make the filenames on the speed camera database shorter (it's a bit hard to assign the right sound file when you have 7 files that all appear as "pocketgps_uk_mobile..." and have identical icons).

Well done to all involved :D
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Might be a plan to make the filenames on the speed camera database shorter (it's a bit hard to assign the right sound file when you have 7 files that all appear as "pocketgps_uk_mobile..." and have identical icons).

Well done to all involved :D

rename them yourself before ya upload em to ya device

using TomTom & CoPilot

Pocketgpsworld iphone cameralert app
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use TT in landscape mode (fine with Palm T3 - not sure about other platforms).
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT GO is alredy in lanscape.

TomTom HP NavPack support landscape.
TomTomTim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Viktor (Department_S ?), that it might useful for us mere mortals to be able to compile our own POI warnings; as we can for the speech files with Viftool.

This is not by any means ingratitude for the great work and tireless assistance offered to forum members by Lutz and the rest of the PocketGPSWorld team: quite the opposite - without you we'd all be in the dark, on this and many other issues.

It merely seems that with so many requests for slightly different versions of the POI warnings and the potential for making others that perhaps only one or two people might want: noisy ones, Dutch ones, ones that go 'bing' and others to numerous to mention (personally I would like to make my own custom sound for RSPB wildfowl reserves), sooner or later, this is going to become a bit of a burden for the PGW guys - so there might be a bit of an argument for the early release of an executable.

I read Lutz's previous post, indicating that the release of a POI tool has been considered already but suggesting waiting for CBit - though I confess to being confused by the risk of a 'duplication of effort' - perhaps you could elaborate on this a bit... Do you think perhaps TomTom might release a customer-configurable POI tool? Would such a tool be likley to serve those with TT for Palm, TT Nav 1, 2, 3, 4,*and* Go?? Or is it more likely that if TomTom were to break with the norm and supply a Windows executable tool that it would only work with the latest versions, leaving the faithful early adopters in the cold?

Best regards,
TomTomTim
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
send us some of your existing sound files so we can compare the audio parameters. But honest, we have already cranked it up to 6 dB, and it starts to sound distorted... Not sure what else is possible

Lutz - if you email me the files, I can see if I can squeeze any more volume out of them using Adobe Audition. The kind of processing I'm thinking of will involve a loss of dynamic range, but that's a small price to pay and the only way ahead for the "must be louder" brigade!

David
mycarsavw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not posted for ages, and have mainly sat back and watched the development of something wonderful.

But it's reached a point where I'm starting to get confused (yes I know, it didn't take much) Embarassed

I have the new sounds on my TTGO and think they're loud enough thank you. I wish to add a chime or some sort of initial warning beep before the spoken words.

I have found the site which allows you to make your own spoken sounds. I have also followed the thread about the viftool but my German is below par. Could someone with more understanding than me possibly point me in the right direction of an English page describing viftool and how to use it.

Finally I see the sounds still retain their factory names, is it not possible to rename the sounds or is this something TTGO looks for as it boots up i.e. by changing the name of the Beep 1 to something more obvious would TTGO then not function?

This is something very exciting and it's nice to be a (silent) part of it. Keep up the excellent work guys.

Sam
TomTomTim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

I also had problems making Viftool work - With some help from it's very helpful author and also from this list, I figured it out. I posted a fresh thread on the subject with basic instructions here: http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16637 I hope this is some help.

Regarding the sounds for POI warnings: you cannot change these with Viftool. At present, 'lbendlin' (Lutz) has cracked this problem and (I think) is offering to create data.chk files for those who send him their custom sounds.

I hope that Lutz might feel he can share his work in the near future so that we can all make our own custom files; as the author of the POI 'version' of Viftool, this is of course entirely his perogative.

If you are still having problems, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help

Best
TTT
mycarsavw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTTim,

Great write up, thanks for sharing it.

I think I too have cross posted my queries, I'm not even over the hill yet and I'm confused for England Embarassed

I was under the (wrong) impression that by using viftool we would be able to change our POI warnings - silly me.

It looks like 'fun' and I may change my guidance sounds to something a little more understandable. Many times I've been blatting down the motorway keeping one eye on my TTGO only to almost miss the slight turning because I was told to "Stay in the left hand lane" when in fact I should have taken the subtle turn.

A simple alteration should solve the problem

Thanks again

Sam
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTomTim wrote:
I hope that Lutz might feel he can share his work in the near future so that we can all make our own custom files; as the author of the POI 'version' of Viftool, this is of course entirely his perogative.

We are discussing this in the team, and will have an answer latest after CeBit.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 6 of 73

Jump to: