Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Socket (Emtac) BT GPS Charging ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Socket (Emtac) BT GPS Charging ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Socket (Emtac) BT GPS Charging ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I couldn't find a definitive answer to this elsewhere. Can someone please advise whether it is safe to charge the Socket with the standard (not cigarette) ipaq charger ? It seems to fit and but I don't really want to take any chances. I also have one of the new Arkon Powered Mounts and it gives out a 5v DC ouput, does anyone know if this safe ?

Any comments comments or answers would be much appreciated,

B
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Socket (Emtac) BT GPS Charging ? Reply with quote

Just realised that my first question has kinda of been answered in this forum already, sorry! *Major embarassment* ! However I am still not sure about this PDA mount output, any ideas appreciated ?

B
macima
Occasional Visitor

Hi, which mount have you got? Is it the one with the built in speaker? If so, what's it like?

Mark Mac
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi macima,

I have the Arkon Powered Mount CM506 with windshield holder. It has the built in speaker and USB style cord that goes from the mount and plugs into the PDA to charge it, this is excellent as I can charge my ipaq while I use it. A little dual plug ended headphone cord to connect the PDA output socket to the mounts speaker and this 5V DC ouput to use to charge other things (however I can't seem to find the ampage associated with the output or polarity, hence the question). It plugs into the cigar lighter for power.

It has a very good construction and is robust even if it felt a bit plasticy to me. The mount is big enough to hold my ipaq with PCMCIA expansion pack with room to spare and I suspect it would easily hold the dual version if necessary. It has spring loaded adjustable side pads which you squeeze in to hold your ipaq snugly and then a little button at the side releases it. I suspect you could hold your ipaq sideways in it to watch DivX's if you so desired (not recommended while driving Laughing Out Loud) the side pads open so wide.

The windshield holder when properly set up, is rock solid abolishing my previous doubts of it being able to support safely my cherished ipaq. The built-in speaker is a stroke of genius as it can amplify the ipaqs internal speaker many times, (however be careful of distortion) allowing you to hear voice instructions clearly. However this is not a hi fidelity speaker, it does get voice across well.

It even has a handsfree USB style socket which will support connection to some phones (according to the manual) but I have no idea how this would work. All in all an excellent mount and well thought out, if a little cumbersome (due to the cords, but they are so useful).

Hope this helps, feel free to post some more if you need any specific answers.

Regards,

B
macima
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info. Looks like that might be a buy, where did you order it from?

Thanks

Mark Mac
macima
Occasional Visitor

Forgot to ask, which Ipaq have you got - the 5450? If so how have you found that?
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Glad it was useful. Ordered it from expansys. I have always had good dealings with them, however their estimating of stock due in leaves a lot to be desired. Laughing Out Loud.

I have an iPaq 3850 with the TDK Bluetooth Sleeve and will stick with it until the new PPC's show a clear performance increase over mine (or it gets busted).

Regards,

B

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: