Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the iCN610 a discontinued unit ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the iCN610 a discontinued unit ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Is the iCN610 a discontinued unit ? Reply with quote

I'm new to sat nav and just I have just bought an iCN610 ( at a very good price ) but I have a feeling it's now obsolete since Cost Co are selling them for £200. Is the unit any good or should I leave it in its sealed box, resell it and get an iCN510 or Tom Tom Go 300 etc.
Also is this site's speed camera database compatible with the 1CN610.
Finally, the iCN610 only has 2D view. What's the advantage of 3D view over 2D view.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 610 is a good entry-level unit and it is discontinued, to be replaced with the 620.
If you decide to sell and get a replacement don't go for the 510 as this is also being discontinued. Go for the new 520 with the latest software.

3D maps are much better than 2D and has the advantage of the maps following your direction of travel with the ability to see more of the road ahead exactly as the view through your windscreen (if that makes sense) and the 520 will give you both.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I'm selling the 610 and have the chance of a fully tested catalogue return 635 with reomote control for £310. Are these decent units please ?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 635 is a good unit, I have one myself, however this too is to be discontinued.

It will have v3 of the SmartST software installed and is the same magnesium alloy case size as the 610, albeit silver instead of black, but with the software features of it's bigger brother the 650.

The iCN 635 comes with 64MB of internal memory and either one map region pre-installed or pan-europe.
None of the 6xx range has an internal battery.

Full spec here
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 635 and it seems to be fine. I tested it on a known route and took wrong turns into short streets but it recalculated in time for the next junction and then got it to find Achnamara (a tiny hamlet in Scotland with about 30 houses that we visit ) so I was impressed. I also like the slightly bigger screen which is visible even in bright sunlight. At £300 including remote I'm not bothered about it being the latest model. It does all I wanted from a sat nav system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approaching pension age and still excited by new technology.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it.

The good news is you will be able to update it to the latest versions when released should you wish to.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need service pack 1 ?

The version details are 3.00.1009
English version v3.01.1000
Built on 2004-11-22:18:49(A)

I tried to install Service Pack 1 but I only get as far as the screen asking me to insert the CD containg desktop ( which I do ) and after which nothing happens. Is my version more recent than Service pack 1 ?
I did , however, install all the safety camera databases quite easily following the instructions which were spot on.
Once again thanks for your help.
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I`d seen you earlier?
My iCN610 was £170 from my local Currys and works brilliantly, I`m sure you`d find others at or near that price! Is, at present, upgradeable via USB using the SmartST software, (Firmware/Software)
I`ve not come across 3D views, but I`m looking ahead while I`m driving with only a cursory look at the navigator? so really dont cpmpare with 2D/3D. My iCN610 is at the lower centre of my windscreen, as the verbal instructions are perfect. Speedcam data base works well so does other POI`s. I can display a North oriented map view or the Navman tracks the direction of my travel. so roads either side are also orientated correctly. Overall, thoroughly impresses so far....search authors `chas921` for several replies already submitted, may be some usefull info there.
Take care matey
Chas
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops....3 Months adrift? Embarassed
I Suppose the price was good in August too!
But seriously, anyone thinking of getting a navman, I`m sure all users of the iCN610 will vouch the same, Its a good bit of kit and easy to use. And at the low prices that are available now, its a good offer if you get one less than £200 before Christmas. :D
I was speaking to a TOMTOM 300 user the other Day and he said its `Ok`. although some address`s and postcodes dont show Question but then we just call back on the radio????.........He needs to as an ambulance technician!! and look at the prices commanded for a Tomtom300? Embarassed
Take care....keep your eyes on the road, not the nav screen?
Chas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: