Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 Map Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 Map Errors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ianh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Map Errors Reply with quote

I agree with Paul Sharpe on his findings for the A419/A417 in the Swindon area, that you leave the road for a mile or so - You can see the road about 1/4 mile to your left as you are crossing nice green fields.

This is also true for the M6 north Junc. 14-15 and the A50 3 or 4 miles short of it's jucntion with the M1.

If you plot a route from Rochester to Uttoxeter TTN2 sends you the wrong way around an island.

Cheers

Ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Map Errors Reply with quote

I found a mistake that's affecting routing in my home area. If you look at this map at MultiMap, you'll see the B road between Froxfield and Woburn in Bedfordshire.

Whilst the side roads off it in Woburn Park all belong to the estate and are private roads, that road is marked "not for routing" in TTN2 GB.

It very much is a public road - when it was closed during the Foot and Mouth problems (to protect the rare deer), it required the co-operation of the local council and various traffic management orders.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

How did that get in as Guest? Somehow I got logged off (if a forum admin wants to fix that post, feel free!)

It was me - and just to clarify, it's the B road that's also marked as "not for routing", which means that sometimes Navigator 2 suggests other, longer routes because it won't route through Woburn Park.

David

mark.peters
Occasional Visitor

Well, according to TTN2 Bodmin in Cornwall doesn't exist !

The maps are there for it OK .. but if you type in Bodmin - it goes straight to Bodmin Airfield every time !

Very frustrating. I've takien to looking up the place on Streetmap.co.uk, getting the appropiate co-ordinates & entering them manually.

Come on TomTom - it's a pretty big error !

Mark
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

On a journey from Winchester to Windsor via M3, i put in an avoid and it tried to route me off at Fleet Services. I never took it but looking at the map later it looks like you can exit to Pale Lane. Anybody know if this is true?

On my journey today from Windsor to Luton M4/M25/M1 there is a change from TTN1. On passing the M40 junction it correctly says Keep Right on the First (Westbound) exit but then says Keep Left on the London bound exit. The route however shows to keep on the M25.
lenggb
Occasional Visitor

I can't find Church Street in Kingston upon Thames.

Not suprising, I can't find Kingston upon Thames!

Len
stuartm
Lifetime Member

Quote: Originally posted by alanparrott on 09 June 2003

On a journey from Winchester to Windsor via M3, i put in an avoid and it tried to route me off at Fleet Services. I never took it but looking at the map later it looks like you can exit to Pale Lane. Anybody know if this is true?

Generally, yes. But sometimes they close the barrier.
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Shepherds Bush Green West London is a one-way system. Travelling on the A4020 Uxbridge Road in an Easterly direction you CANNOT (SHOULD NOT) make a left turn onto A40 Wood Lane at the traffic lights as TTN2 shows,it's straight ahead only, and pedestrians will have a green light to cross Wood Lane!! Instead,if you want to go north follow the one-way sign left into Hopgood Street(just before the lights), make a right into Macfarlane Road then left onto Wood Lane.

After a quick trial around "The Bush", I now unreservedly apologise to every driver I have sworn at, suggested they get their eyes tested,and various other

things I won't go into here. I now realise it was nothing personal, they were using TTN.   
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by stuartm on 11 June 2003

Quote: Originally posted by alanparrott on 09 June 2003On a journey from Winchester to Windsor via M3, i put in an avoid and it tried to route me off at Fleet Services. I never took it but looking at the map later it looks like you can exit to Pale Lane. Anybody know if this is true?

Can you exit legally?

mark.peters
Occasional Visitor

Re: My previous post on June 8th - about Bodmin, Cornwall

Used multi-map to get the lat/long of a postcode I wanted to visit in Bodmin. Entered the co-ordinates, map centred on right road in Bodmin BUT the map details in the top indicated that I was geading for the Isle Of Wight ? Yeah - really !

Come on TomTom - how is Harleigh Road, Bodmin in the Isle Of Wight ?

Incidentally the route was spot on - just a glaring error in the map ! Oh well ... that's what I get for living in Cornwall I suppose :-)

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Mark - arguably this is not a map error, but a database error.

The database contains quite a lot of fictional material. As I've posted in the database thread, it lists streets in Marylebone, W1 as Marylebone (Wigan) and streets in Paddington it marks as {City of London} when they're several miles from the City. Streets in Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne are listed as Heaton (Staffordshire Moorlands). If you look at the database thread you'll see many more examples of this.

In this case, Harleigh Road PL31 is mistakenly listed under Bodmin Airfield - if you'd continued from the nearest match TomTom Navigator came up with, you'd have been OK.

At least for the UK, it seems that the administrative areas shown in TomTom Navigator 2's database are often wrong - this is where the partial postcode data provides a useful cross-check. If that doesn't help, don't forget you can enter places by panning and zooming the map.

Fortunately the map data is pretty accurate (though there's a couple of errors in mid Bedfordshire - an A road that's in the map in the wrong place, and a B road that's incorrectly marked as unusable by vehicles). The map data matters more for navigation.

The database is sadly rather more suspect. However, once you have your destination correctly set, database errors won't affect you too much.

David
Fuego
Regular Visitor

Probably also not a map error, but rather a database error (perhaps even a program localisation error) is the infuriating habit of TTN2 to quote "Stay Right" or "Stay on Righthand side" and then subsequently direct you to a "Left turn", whilst driving in the UK with the GB map and program latest versions.

In the few days I have been using this software, I have seen a lot of this behaviour.

NigelJ
Regular Visitor

I too have had the indication given by TTN2 that I was driving over green fields although I am sure I was on a road!

This occured FIVE times in the 600 mile round trip to the Isle of Wight.   I did not find any discrepency around Swindon on the A417/A419 BUT when joining the A417 at the Burford Junction anfter diverting to Cirencester. the other times were on minor roads around the Wallops ok on the way South but off course on the return jouney.

Nigel
stuartm
Lifetime Member

Quote: Originally posted by alanparrott on 14 June 2003

Quote: Originally posted by stuartm on 11 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by alanparrott on 09 June 2003On a journey from Winchester to Windsor via M3, i put in an avoid and it tried to route me off at Fleet Services. I never took it but looking at the map later it looks like you can exit to Pale Lane. Anybody know if this is true?

Can you exit legally?

Since I'm not a lawyer I can't give you a definitive answer on that one. The bit of road we're talking about is a service road for Fleet Services so I assume that they could sue for trespass but I can't see that you'd be breaking any laws.
Boy Wonder
Occasional Visitor

After 1 week with TomTom Navigator version 2 I have found that the Haltwhistle bypass section of the A69(6 years old) is not on the maps. Instead it takes you onto the old A69 through Haltwhistle. Sadly I have not yet had time to find out if TeleAtlas have managed to get round to including all the Roman built roads near Hadrians Wall

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: