Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom accuracy Reply with quote

I have recently purchased TOM TOM Nav and am waiting for version 2. I use the software with a holux 210 gps receiver. Whilst using the navigator I have noticed that it is always slightly behind, in other words it will tell me to ‘turn right in 100 yards’ when actually the right turn is probably 50 yards away. Also I can see that as I drive past a road the navigator is showing my position as slightly behind. – I guess there is a delay of a couple of seconds.

Is it my GPS receiver ? Is there a setting I need to look at ?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom accuracy Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by nath on 02 April 2003

I have recently purchased TOM TOM Nav and am waiting for version 2. I use the software with a holux 210 gps receiver. Whilst using the navigator I have noticed that it is always slightly behind, in other words it will tell me to ?turn right in 100 yards? when actually the right turn is probably 50 yards away. Also I can see that as I drive past a road the navigator is showing my position as slightly behind. ? I guess there is a delay of a couple of seconds.

Is it my GPS receiver ? Is there a setting I need to look at ?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

I have the same GPS setup and find it spot on. Don't know why you should be different. Think I have upgraded to 1.6 or thereabouts while I wait for the TTN 2 upgrade.
TonyP
Regular Visitor

Most GPS receivers only update once per second, plus it takes a fraction of a second to send the message to the PDA, and another fraction to redraw the screen. Also the spoken message takes about a second.

All in all there is a lag of 1-2 seconds before you hear the spoken instructions. At 30 mph you are driving at about 15 yds per second.

I find the lag annoying too. I think TTN ought to use the speed to interpolate the position between updates, ie move the position arrow at a steady rate, and to make the announcements a bit earlier, depending on the speed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: