Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GB software/map + W Europe maps: Which side of road is used?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GB software/map + W Europe maps: Which side of road is used?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: GB software/map + W Europe maps: Which side of road is used? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have TTNav 3.07T with GB software/maps and MRE map. If I were to buy and install the Maps of Western Europe, which side of the road would I be instructed to use?

When I was about to post this question, I though that the answer would be simply that the map data contains the instruction to the software as to which side of the road to use.

However I though that as I have the MRE map installed, I’d have a test. So I selected a couple of points a few miles apart from each other in Paris and set the demo off. The arrow seemed to stay on the right-hand-side of the road (as expected), but when we approached a roundabout, Jane said turn left, but the system demo’d a right hand turn around a large roundabout. I’ve never driven in France, so I don’t know if they have any “magic” roundabouts.

Could somebody, who has a base TTNav GB system with added Maps of Western Europe and who has driven in mainland Europe, please confirm whether the system instructs you to use the right-hand-side of the road and the correct way to take/position at junctions and roundabouts etc?

One other question, presumably the system would still use English for verbal instructions?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using maps of WE

In france / spain etc it has always indicated that I am on and should use the right lane.

same with roundabouts and other turnings - always instructs to go the right (ie the correct way)

this thankfully was ok in ttn2 and is also ok with ttn3!

Ian
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to add

also uses English for voice intructions - unless you wish to go the whole hog and install the french / german / spanish wav files.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm, I found the french and Swiss maps invaluable when driving there, and the instructions take you and count exits exactly as they should.
warrenb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm it was correct. Drove from the UK to Portugal and then around Portugal for 2 weeks without a problem.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iancjc, SteveW, and warrenb,

Many thanks for your replies. Thumbs Up

My test must have found a one off glitch of the map data. I’m very tempted to get the Maps of Western Europe for possible future use.

Let’s hope that Tele Atlas can map the rest of Europe and that TomTom can take that data and produce further maps for Europe.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: GB software/map + W Europe maps: Which side of road is u Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
However I though that as I have the MRE map installed, I’d have a test. So I selected a couple of points a few miles apart from each other in Paris and set the demo off. The arrow seemed to stay on the right-hand-side of the road (as expected), but when we approached a roundabout, Jane said turn left, but the system demo’d a right hand turn around a large roundabout. I’ve never driven in France, so I don’t know if they have any “magic” roundabouts.

Could somebody, who has a base TTNav GB system with added Maps of Western Europe and who has driven in mainland Europe, please confirm whether the system instructs you to use the right-hand-side of the road and the correct way to take/position at junctions and roundabouts etc?

Not sure I understand exactly what you were saying here.

If changing direction to the left, you'd go around the roundabout in an anti-clockwise direction (with or without priority, depending on the style of R/A) and therefore your turn onto and off the roundabout would be to the right.

If by a "right-hand turn" you meant a clock-wise route around the R/A, then clearly that would be wrong. However, that's no great surprise. TTN frequently gets the "keep right/left" instructions wrong for the UK and I've seen it get these wrong in Europe, too, although to a lesser extent.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrked ok in France- Right side of the road and in English no less..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: