Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What have I done wrong ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What have I done wrong ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: What have I done wrong ? Reply with quote

I upgraded to Copilot 5 ( from 3.5) at Christmas and so far it is peforming worse than the older version. e.g.

Sometimes it just won't start. Reset required - maybe more than one - before it fires up.

If you deviate from the original route (as you often do if you know where you're going) it takes minutes to recalculate a new route - 3.5 would take a few seconds. Sometimes it doesn't manage to do it at all and the whole thing hangs.

Instances where it warns of speed camera ahead when you've already passed it (e.g. the first one on the A3 before Hook as you head towards London)

Traffic alerts not yet operational - this worked fine in 3.5 tho' you did have to pay a monthly subscription for it. I've emailed them to ask when it'll be live and am still waiting for their response.

The polite gentleman now says 'mee-les' affecting a cod Spanish accent - in 3.5 he pronounced it 'miles' as you'd expect.

I'm running V5.0.1.30 on an IPAQ 3970 under Pocket PC 2002 with the Pocket CoPilot GPS Sleeve. The maps etc. are installed on the CF card built into the sleeve.

Are there any (simple) config changes I can make to make it work better ?
Thanks in advance.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have CoPilot 5 running on a Mitac 168 and I recognise many of the faults you describe - though they occur sporadically making it difficult to establish a pattern for diagnostic purposes. I have all the maps loaded on a 1Gb Lexar card, and have about 33Mb free program memory on the PPC.

Hanging when recalcuating routes, especially if there are several recalcs in succession, happens all too often. Sometimes an error box appears with some garbled message about memory problems with the POI handler.

Speed cameras, when it can be bothered to announce them, are sometimes announced when you're past them, but so often they don't get announced at all. There are some GATSOs that are clearly on the PC and PPC maps with the correct coordinates, but CPL has NEVER EVER announced them. Other get announced depending on the mood of the announcer.

I've learned to live with the annoying mee-les, though it's far from ideal.

No, YOU have done nothing wrong and faults lie with the software. I've reported it to ALK - as have many other people - and the response seems to be that it's memory problems which should be addressed at the next upgrade.

Meanwhile it leaves me wondering whether I shouldn't have opted for the cheaper TomTom.

Geoff.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: