Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-Pilot Live (5) V TTN 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-Pilot Live (5) V TTN 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Co-Pilot Live (5) V TTN 3 Reply with quote

I have been using TTN 3 since it was realeasd and before that TTN & TTN2, however I just bought a mio 168 which included the Co-Pilot Live software,

After trying out the Co-Pilot I found that I just could not get on with it, I noticed that is has had great reviews, but I honestly can not see why,

1. The voice on Co-Pilot is very 'tinny' and 'robotic' sounding

2. The map detail is not as good as TTN 3

3. Co-Pilot is very difficult to operate, it is not intuitive

4. The 3D is not as good as TTN 3

In the end, I deleted Co-Pilot and continued using TTN 3

I hope I'm not being too negative, it's just how I found it to be, and no, I don't work for TomTom !

Steve
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. You're not doing much route planning, right? Mostly just "take me there" - that's where TomTom is better.

CoPilot is good for multi-stop route optimization, map cutting and truck/RV navigation.

Version 5 is getting closer to TomTom's usability. V4 was indeed not too intuitive, but ALK keep improving.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I think of CP5 CoPilot

Arrow copilot 5 live is very easy to use, specially if u plannig long trips with several stops.
Arrow In CP5 you can choose between the robotic voice (text to speech) and the pre-made messages (wav files). However I find both of them odd sounding Laughing The wav files (supposedly better) tell you to turn "just ahead" or in "three tence of a mile". TT instead has 2 types of pre-recorded wav files and they say "in 300 yards, turn left"; very concise and pleasant. Good job TT!
Arrow CP5 has a 5 digit postcode search not present in TT
Arrow CP5 has much, much, better maps than TT!
Arrow TT has better 3d views than CP5, I guess its taste though
Arrow CP5 has "live" functions not present in TT (u need a compatible device)
Arrow CP5 takes more time than TT to hook on satellites
Arrow Althought the maps in CP5 are impeccable the instructions dont quite match the maps... Rolling Eyes It is quite rare though
Arrow TT has a marginally better range of pois compared to CP5. Foe example CP5 doesnt list cash dispensers Crying or Very sad
Arrow CP5 displays road restrictions
Arrow With CP5 u can plan ur journeys on the desktop. But aint that software buggy! With TT u cannot
Arrow With CP5 u get ur money worth! Do u with TT? No!

Conclusion CP5 has few problems that could be easily be fixed. Meanwhile this software has to be considered as the best gps software ever. The quality of the maps and the usefullness of the live functions surpass any other ppc software.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Rento ... I concur with most everything you said. One has to keep in mind how the device/software will be used. Depending on how you plan to use it, one package will be better suited than another. I like to pre-plan my trips and have the PDA tell me how long until the next turn, arrival time, etc., and be available to reroute me when there is a road closure or accident. CoPilot is one of the very few that allow you to preplan on your desktop and then use that info on your PDA. Although I haven't used TT, I have also tried D3, Street Atlas and Pharos (and my Dodge has the Alpine Nav System). I found each to have their positives and negatives. Copilot suited me the best and does a pretty good job. Each have their quirks and learning curves but once you get used to them, you can navigate quite well.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its fair to its what you are used to. I had never used Sat Nav until I got CP5. I live with its quirks which are not, understandably, clouded by having used other packages. I get on with it fine. I inevitably plan on my PC , forgive its sometimes odd instructions when in town and use my common sense. Don't rely on this stuff to guide you every inch of the way. None of are anywhere near that good. Accept is shortfalls and work round them. Thats the same for any package I suppose

I have looked at TT3 since but have the same response as Steve. Back to my first sentence.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: