Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Routing options Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:

I can not see why people should be so upset to see that they have taken away the speed indicator. After all they do have a perfectly good spedo in the car and they should be concentrating on their driving anyway!

That's the point - none of us have a perfectly good speedo in the car - they are not that accurate, particularly at higher speeds, which is where you are more likely to be caught out!

Also, in regard to the post that somebody made further up the thread about TomTom abandoning the Pocket Pc market, I can't see that happening, this is their background - TomTom were called PalmTop and have been developing hand-held software for years (they even helped create the Symbian OS), since the Psion 3 days. Indeed, many of their directors are ex-Psion.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Routing options Reply with quote

nej wrote:

That's the point - none of us have a perfectly good speedo in the car - they are not that accurate, particularly at higher speeds, which is where you are more likely to be caught out!

I understand that most Police Forces do allow for a margin of error when giving out speeding tickets, knowing that most Speedos are not calibrated. Therefore your cars inbuilt systems should be acceptable, and positioned correctly as not to distract you from driving.

Therefore one school of thought could be if you can not trust your cars equipment and think you could get caught speeding, should you be driving at those speeds anyway!!
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the point I was making. If my car speedo says I'm doing 70, I'm actually probably doing 67 - three MPH less than I could be doing. I would prefer to be doing 70. Whilst this is acceptable(ish) - as you say - I only know about this difference because of the GPS. Most people would not know that their speedo is not accurate. Also, some cars may be much more inaccurate. I've been in several (admittedly older) cars, where at higher speeds the speedo wavers all over the place, leaving little idea of what the real speed is.
obvious
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car speedos seem to be underclocked by around 8-10% in my experience compared to TomTom. The manufacturers have to err on the side of caution as otherwise they'd be up to their neck in lawsuits from angry motoriists.

It makes perfet sense to use the speed function in TomTom to gauge just how far under you vehicle's speedo is calibrated.

As for TomTom abandoning the pocketpc market, well, they are! If Victorinox stopped making Swiss Army knives and instead just stuck to making single bladed cutlery then they would have abandoned a bunch of their previously loyal customers as well.
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: I have the Speed display in Portrait mode Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I have tt2004 running on my axim x50v. On my tomtom screen, I have the speed display (portrait and landscape mode). Maybe it's because the x50v has a vga screen. In fact, I do not have the same screens that the ones in the review. See the picture, the speed is under the sat bars (0mph - I was stopped).

Have a great day...[/img]
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got a HP Navigation Scandinavia bundle in my hands for testing. :P
I will go trough the review and post some comments...

For Europe there is 4 CD's:
You get full maps of all of Europe but you have to pay TomTom to get a code for activating the regions/countries outside of Scandinavia.

Clock setting:
There is a nice function when you try to set the clock: When you are prompted to set the corredt time there is a button down left: Sync
By pressing this, the clock will be set from the GPS-signal.

POI alerts built in:
I noticed that the POI's you have selected for alerts will be put in the top of the POI-list. Neat.

Colour themes:
You still can change between the difrent colourthemes that came with TT2/3

Plan from A to B:
Same as in TT3 - but much better UI. (Not accessable from navigator-menu in TT3.)

I miss the oportunity to plan from a cityname to a cityname without any spesific adress in the citys. Navigation too: you can not just navigate to a cityname. You could not in TT2 but you could in TT3.

Itinerary:
I have to arrest you Lutz!
The function is not totaly missing but mutch easier...
You can pick one stoppover when you have planned a route!
If you try to make another, the first stopover will becom the next.
Just try:
1: Plan a route from A to B
2: You see the summary
3: Click "Map"
4: Click the "magnifier"
5: Click what you want eg "Addres"
6: When done the crossymbol will be placed on the place you choose
7: Click the "Crossybol" in the bottom line
8: Select "Travel via..."
-voila-

Hold on power
Feels OK... when testing now and the PDA dont switch itself off when I try to make some sense in what I'm writing here.
BTW: you have a battery indicator always in the screen (without siggarettepower)

Landscape:
The holder that came in the cit is wery tight so the PDA will never fall out!

Well this is my first test... ihavent tested it on the road yet.

My conclusion:
I was far more negative to this before i tested it myself. Im actualy think this is a good alternative, and easy to use piece.
If TomTom puts some of the "missing functions" when the release a new software for Europe, I will absolutely take a closer look.
-more to come-
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for TomTom abandoning the pocket PC market, I don't think this is going to be the case.

I've a couple of contacts inside TomTom and I've just been given the name of their new Product Manager for Enterprise Solutions, who will deal with the SDK among other things. He is new to TomTom, so it is unlikely they would be dropping the PocketPC market if they are recruiting people to work on this side of things.

Anyway, I'm going to email him with a few of my concerns and I'll post anything relevant that I get back.
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question about the maps of this package:

The house where a live in, with my beautiful wife and children, do not have a name in TomTom maps.

In TomTom 3 it just says "Unamed Road".

It does so in the TomTom HP NavPack, but it dispays also a "K"-number (K23)

I can also se that other street got a K-number.

There are no sense in theese numbers, to me.

What are they??

Driving
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I have the Speed display in Portrait mode Reply with quote

AlexandreUVa wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have tt2004 running on my axim x50v. On my tomtom screen, I have the speed display (portrait and landscape mode). Maybe it's because the x50v has a vga screen. In fact, I do not have the same screens that the ones in the review. See the picture, the speed is under the sat bars (0mph - I was stopped).

TomTom Navigator on the Palm (which seems to be identical to the new PPC version and the GO version) also has the speed displayed.

Glenn.
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeena wrote:

I miss the oportunity to plan from a cityname to a cityname without any spesific adress in the citys. Navigation too: you can not just navigate to a cityname. You could not in TT2 but you could in TT3.

You can do this - enter the city name, then when it asks you for the street, enter the city name again - it's in the list with a little factory (I think) icon beside it. Select that and voila.

Also, you can select "Travel via" from the "Find alternative" menu when you're on a route to set an extra stop on your journey. Not an "itinerary" as such, but useful for many people, myself included.

Glenn.
dibble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Reply with quote

So........lets cut to the chase here - we are all basically saying we don't like this new software much arn't we?!

We are all saying that we would rather stay with TT3 with newer map updates until they build upon what we already have.

Unless we tell them they dont know. I do find it strange that knowing TT3 is so widely used and accepted (most of the time) as a well working and thoughtout program that they would not ask the users what we want rather than just saying "have this, cos your old one is history"!

Development costs money - you don't just throw it away do you?

Don't think we want this one Tomtom - can you have another go please!?

Dibs
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA Reply with quote

An excellent review of the functionality, which is basically satisfactory for me.

A serious problem for me is the POI database is VERY weak!

Primary for me, it is missing hundreds of municipal (general aviation) airports all across the Western US. I'm a pilot, and my crew needs to get to these places. Adding these manually would be a huge hassle.

Second, big shopping malls are missing in our area (and I assume elsewhere) - these are malls with Penneys, Sears, Bon Marche, etc, not just little strip malls. We travel in a motorhome pulling a 35 foot glider trailer and these places are convenient for many reasons.

All the ease of use (the reason I selected it) and other features can't make up for this lack of data. If the data issue can't be resolved, I'm going have to find some other product.

Any suggestions for easily fixing the database (same question already sent to Tomtom) or an alternative product?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIs are always a problem - the moment they get committed to the map they are outdated. As you have observed, TomTom's purchased POIs are of particularly poor quality in the US

Unfortunately the custom POI community is not as big in the US as it is in Europe.

My vision is an open source POI web site that completely democratically accepts submissions (and corrections) from anyone who happens to be interested. Users may then have a much more up-to-date data set of POIs.

Maybe with the increasing connectivity of the navigation systems and easier ways to connect to the web while on the road this vision will materialize tiself. One day...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lutz

You are talking about CheckPOInt...!
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
POIs are always a problem - the moment they get committed to the map they are outdated. As you have observed, TomTom's purchased POIs are of particularly poor quality in the US

Unfortunately the custom POI community is not as big in the US as it is in Europe.

I"m not aware of any place to get US/Canada POIs (none listed on the TomTom site). Do you know of any? I have two months to solve this problem, so if there isn't anything out there, I need to return/sell this system and get something that covers my needs. Even Microsoft's Streets and Trips has the airports (it's still missing some of the shopping centers), and it's only $20. Running a laptop is very awkward in my vehicles, which is why I wanted a PDA solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: